Top Shelf Aquatics

Kimber's Old Tank Thread

kimberbee

4 hours ago, Type-H20 said:

So, how are you "coping" with the downsize from IM20 to IM10?  (Tank(s)) look great!

Hahaha! I really like the 10 gallon, but of course I miss the space of the 20 gallon!! 

In really good news, Pluto is catching on to eating with Andromeda. He's snatching up pellets and mysis, and is coming out to eat more and more. Really glad, because Andromeda is a food hog and had been gobbling it all up before Pluto had a chance. Unfortunately, he has also caught on that the nems get spot fed, so he's followed Andromeda's lead in picking food out of the nem's mouths. <_<

• Like 3
1 hour ago, debbeach13 said:

Great pic's except for that one. I am not seeing it.

Yeah the instagram one. I dunno what I'm doing wrong, but I'm at work computer now so I can't fix it. I think cause my instagram was private. Whoops! 

Guess what day is it is?!?! It's video Saturday - Maintenance on my lagoon tank. Just a quick one this week, I talk for a minut about what steps I take during the water change and then do the water change (sped up!). 

Hope you all have a great weekend! 

• Like 10

Hmm... It's been quiet in here all week. No video this weekend, as I'll be doing something not reef related. 

And for those following along - my back is feeling a bit better each day. No more pain!! BUT... my chiropractor has me coming in 1-2 times a week to exercise and it's killing my legs. Lots of squats, balancing, and TRX (suspension training), which is all working my core but also killing my legs. A strong core will help keep my vertebrae in place and avoid further injury, so I'm happy for that. But now instead of my back hurting, my legs are incredibly sore!! 

• Like 7

Hello there Nano-Reef peeps!! 

I wanted to take a minute to talk to you all about parameters. If you read my May TOTM write up, you may know that I do not dose or test my tank. The only things I pay attention to on a regular basis are the temperature and salinity of my water. I wanted to go into that a little bit. 

I use the Red Sea Coral Pro salt mix to make up my water. Some people don't like this salt mix because of the parameters it mixes to. I have used this salt mix for my entire reefing adventure - about 3 years - and have never had a problem. I do a 20-25%-ish water change every week for each of my tanks. I do my best to not miss a water change, and I feel like this helps keep parameters more stable than other reefers that may skip weeks or even months between water changes (though they probably dose in between - again, this is just my thought). To me, a water change once a week is easier than repetitive testing and dosing, and having to adjust dosing, and then retesting to make sure the dosing is on point... To me, that just seems like a tedious chore. With water changes, I just spend one night a week getting it all done, and the only thing I have to do the other 6 days is feed my fish and corals.

If I do test my water, it's usually because something looks off, or multiple corals/fish have died for no apparent reason. My initial reaction when the tanks seem off, is to do an additional water change during the week. If that doesn't lead to an improvement, I will start testing the water in my tank(s). I use Red Sea test kits - specifically the Reef Foundation Pro and the Marine Care test kits. I start with the Foundation kit, and test calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity. If those numbers are on track, I move onto the Marine Care kit and test for ammonia, nitrate, and pH. So far, my tests have pretty much always come back within normal ranges. *knock on wood* 

I also regularly (weekly) check my fresh RODI water to make sure my TDS stays at 0, so issues should never arise due to my water source. 

Again, these are just my thoughts and experiences with testing and dosing over the past 3 years. It works for me, and what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for everyone. I do plan to start testing a little more over the coming months though. As my tanks are getting more mature and the corals are growing larger, I may need to start dosing, even if it's just trace elements to help the corals in between water changes. 3 years really isn't all that long to be in the reefing hobby, and my tanks have never been up much longer than a year or so. Maybe it's more accurate for me to say I don't think testing is necessary in a newer tank, other than during the cycle when ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels are VERY important! 

• Like 8
14 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I wanted to take a minute to talk to you all about parameters. If you read my May TOTM write up, you may know that I do not dose or test my tank. The only things I pay attention to on a regular basis are the temperature and salinity of my water. I wanted to go into that a little bit. 

I use the Red Sea Coral Pro salt mix to make up my water. Some people don't like this salt mix because of the parameters it mixes to. I have used this salt mix for my entire reefing adventure - about 3 years - and have never had a problem. I do a 20-25%-ish water change every week for each of my tanks. I do my best to not miss a water change, and I feel like this helps keep parameters more stable than other reefers that may skip weeks or even months between water changes (though they probably dose in between - again, this is just my thought). To me, a water change once a week is easier than repetitive testing and dosing, and having to adjust dosing, and then retesting to make sure the dosing is on point... To me, that just seems like a tedious chore. With water changes, I just spend one night a week getting it all done, and the only thing I have to do the other 6 days is feed my fish and corals.

If I do test my water, it's usually because something looks off, or multiple corals/fish have died for no apparent reason. My initial reaction when the tanks seem off, is to do an additional water change during the week. If that doesn't lead to an improvement, I will start testing the water in my tank(s). I use Red Sea test kits - specifically the Reef Foundation Pro and the Marine Care test kits. I start with the Foundation kit, and test calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity. If those numbers are on track, I move onto the Marine Care kit and test for ammonia, nitrate, and pH. So far, my tests have pretty much always come back within normal ranges. *knock on wood* 

I also regularly (weekly) check my fresh RODI water to make sure my TDS stays at 0, so issues should never arise due to my water source. 

Again, these are just my thoughts and experiences with testing and dosing over the past 3 years. It works for me, and what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for everyone. I do plan to start testing a little more over the coming months though. As my tanks are getting more mature and the corals are growing larger, I may need to start dosing, even if it's just trace elements to help the corals in between water changes. 3 years really isn't all that long to be in the reefing hobby, and my tanks have never been up much longer than a year or so. Maybe it's more accurate for me to say I don't think testing is necessary in a newer tank, other than during the cycle when ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels are VERY important! 

I like the KISS principle.  Nice and simple.  My test kits expired, oh, six years or so ago lol.  I usually go by observing what's in my tank to see how everything is doing, and just check salinity at water changes. 

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I like the KISS principle.  Nice and simple.  My test kits expired, oh, six years or so ago lol.  I usually go by observing what's in my tank to see how everything is doing, and just check salinity at water changes. 

Good to know I'm not the only one! 

I do think that as tanks get more mature, testing could become important. Obviously larger corals are going to slurp up more elements out of the water. And I definitely admire those that have the extra dedication for that. I like the simplicity. I want an easy hobby. I keep easy coral and hardy fish. 

Just like with any hobby, you can dive in a little or dive in a lot. Though sometimes I'm jealous of people with larger systems, and bigger corals, that's just not something I can be as dedicated to! 

• Like 1
HarryPotter
1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

Im the same way. I check salinity when I do water changes, and the temp is monitored with an alarm. My TDS is above 10, I use RSCP, and I have dosed 40ml Ca/Alk for the last year or so. Why 40ml? Because that's what I started with after seeing someone with a similar tank dosed that much. And everything looks happy, so why test or change anything? 

Keep it simple :)

• Like 2

I don't test much either..............I do dose my big tank though as everything in there slurps up the elements :lol: as @kimberbee says...............all run on the apex hell not even sure what I dose..........Clam and SPS are happy so.........

I do give a squirt every once in a while to the small tank also as I get lazy on water changes..........also use the RSCP salt from day one.

I like the KISS method if things look bad yes break out the test kits otherwise just keep on doing what works.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Good to know I'm not the only one! 

I do think that as tanks get more mature, testing could become important. Obviously larger corals are going to slurp up more elements out of the water. And I definitely admire those that have the extra dedication for that. I like the simplicity. I want an easy hobby. I keep easy coral and hardy fish. 

Just like with any hobby, you can dive in a little or dive in a lot. Though sometimes I'm jealous of people with larger systems, and bigger corals, that's just not something I can be as dedicated to! 

lol yep I need stuff that can stand a touch of neglect when I forget to do something someday (which happens a lot with me).  When I started with freshwater I set up a 15 tall with some cherry barbs, cory cats and otos...well the cories and otos didn't last but a couple years, and the cherry barbs had a baby after about three years and then slowly started dropping off...the last of the original group died just last September at over 8 years of age!  And the baby died this winter at 5.  Most of that time the tank was just gravel and live plants, no heater or filter (they died at a time I couldn't replace them and the tank did even better without them so I left it that way lol)...realized I liked simple, easy tanks and never wanted to mess with anything complicated.  Which is why I will probably never try SPS except easy stuff. :lol:

• Like 3

I hope everyone is having a great Memorial Day weekend! I've been laying out in the sun, while Nick does yardwork. My last lazy weekend beforeI start pushing my back a little. 

I posted a YouTube video yesterday. I tried out NatureBox snacks and did a litfle review. We also saw Nick's family yesterday and had a cookout which was really nice.

I spent Saturday with my mom and we went dress shopping. I actually ended up getting a new wedding dress that is more traditional than the short, ivory "party dress I was originally going to wear. 

The new one is still ivory, but long, sheath style. The front has tank-top-like straps,  but they come over the shoulder and connect in the back in a halter style. This means the dress has an open back, that comes to just above the butt. The one thing I didn't think of when making the purchase was tan lines... 

I'm going to have to be careful this summer!!

• Like 9
8 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I hope everyone is having a great Memorial Day weekend! I've been laying out in the sun, while Nick does yardwork. My last lazy weekend beforeI start pushing my back a little. 

I posted a YouTube video yesterday. I tried out NatureBox snacks and did a litfle review. We also saw Nick's family yesterday and had a cookout which was really nice.

I spent Saturday with my mom and we went dress shopping. I actually ended up getting a new wedding dress that is more traditional than the short, ivory "party dress I was originally going to wear. 

The new one is still ivory, but long, sheath style. The front has tank-top-like straps,  but they come over the shoulder and connect in the back in a halter style. This means the dress has an open back, that comes to just above the butt. The one thing I didn't think of when making the purchase was tan lines... 

I'm going to have to be careful this summer!!

Sounds like you're getting some great stuff done, nice to see you relaxing a bit!!!

• Like 1
Just now, gena said:

I love your videos :).

When is your wedding day? 

Thanks Gena! 

September 8th - 101 days away! :scarry:

• Like 5
9 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Thanks Gena! 

September 8th - 101 days away! :scarry:

omgomgomg

That will be here before you know it!!!!!  First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes baby in the baby carriage :wub::D

• Like 4
1 hour ago, gena said:

omgomgomg

That will be here before you know it!!!!!  First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes baby in the baby carriage :wub::D

Bwahahahah! 

Oh wait, my daughter's getting married in March next year. Until you posted this the thought of grandchildren was still comfortably far off :eek:

• Like 8
2 hours ago, gena said:

omgomgomg

No pressure!  :D

1 hour ago, teenyreef said:

Bwahahahah! 

Oh wait, my daughter's getting married in March next year. Until you posted this the thought of grandchildren was still comfortably far off :eek:

:lol: Having grandkids doesn't make you old though!

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

No pressure!  :D

:lol: Having grandkids doesn't make you old though!

Haha...nope, no pressure :)

*can't wait to see pics of her kid(s) poking at her fish tanks LOL

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, gena said:

Haha...nope, no pressure :)

*can't wait to see pics of her kid(s) poking at her fish tanks LOL

We're actually planning to start trying 6-12 months after we get married. ;)

• Like 6
27 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

omgomgomgNew frags!!!

• Like 4
1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

You'll probably beat us then, we're hoping to pay off some student loans first lol.  And with two degrees I wound up with a lot. :wacko:

1 hour ago, teenyreef said:

omgomgomgNew frags!!!

:lol: I'm not sure these are reef safe though!

• Like 3