ReefCleaners.org

Kimber's Old Tank Thread

kimberbee

3 hours ago, Kijho said:

Looking so nice! I've been enjoying the videos uploaded to your YouTube!!!  I hope to have my tank beside a window with sunlight too!

Thanks for the kind words!! I'll admit I was worried about having the tank so close to a window, but I love it! It's a south facing window and I hope when we move I can put it in a similar spot! There's just something about that natural light!! :wub:

I made a new vid yesterday - how the new stand is organized:

• Like 6

on my APS stand i used industrial velcro male/female on that bottom shelf so it is removable if needed (where you used tape). you could try that for your wavepump controller also. make sure you clean attachment areas with 70% alcohol to clean any residue off so velcro or command strips stick better.

i just built my lagoon25 aps stand and have not gotten anything in it yet. plan on a shelf/wall for electronics, one for my dosing pumps and one for ramdoms. kind of bummed about the gaps around the doors and the dumb floor shelf and general fit of everything.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2017 at 7:32 PM, kimberbee said:

:wub::wub::wub::wub:

38590276821_079cf90078_z.jpgIMG_7415 by kimothy182, on Flickr

38590274311_c8b1789b59_z.jpgIMG_7416 by kimothy182, on Flickr

Best $15 I ever spent on my reef. I'm in love. 

Also realized, while using my macro lens that my eyes are not what they used to be. I  honestly couldn't really see what I was focusing the camera on. I just let it auto-focus on the blue bits and clicked. :closedeyes:

I just got a baby fox coral for $15 (rather than $50+ on LiveAquaria) and loooove it!  How's the blueberry gorg doing?

I saw your newest video and :lol:.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I just got a baby fox coral for $15 (rather than $50+ on LiveAquaria) and loooove it!  How's the blueberry gorg doing?

I saw your newest video and :lol:.

Blueberry gorg is hanging in there. Definitely doing ok, can't tell yet if it's growing though... 

18 hours ago, vlangel said:

I have missed a lot kimber!  The new stand is very nice.  Both tanks look great.  Good job!

Thanks!! 

I really need to get caught up on things. I'm getting out of work early today and will be heading home to do maintenance and hopefully take pictures before it gets too dark!! 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2018 at 9:08 AM, jack1978 said:

So was your nem :naughtydance:

Did you have your Elsa doll nearby?

Actually... yes

On 1/30/2018 at 3:48 PM, Kijho said:

I love your tanks <3 

Thank you! 

On 1/31/2018 at 6:48 AM, vlangel said:

Very cool that you saw the RFA spawning.  Do you see any babies?

No babies yet. I think it'll take a few weeks to see them... if I see them... 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of posting - my husband and I have been pretty busy this month! 

The last two weekends we spent looking at houses and we put in an offer on one Monday. Tuesday morning it was accepted! 

This means we'll be moving sometime in the beginning of April - which means I have two tanks to pack up and move an hour away! :scarry:

• Like 3
Just now, vlangel said:

I think you must be a pro by now.  Your 2 tanks are in good hands for the move.

True, I have swapped tanks a few times... ;)

Trying to decide now if I should re-use my current sand (2 years old) or get new sand. And if I get new sand, should I rinse it, and how? I've never rinsed my "live" sand and always hate the first few weeks when siphoning the sand = dust cloud. 

i just moved 4yr old biocube14 into a fresh new lagoon 25 mind you. tossed old bed. new agralive sand i rinsed in saltwater one liter pop bottle at a time. fill shake dump. repeat till clearish. worked good and got rid of the amazing amount of powdery gunky sediment but kept bacteria on it. rinsed all my rock really good. ran new tank with fritzzyme for a few days prior and matched all water. no cycle at all. i did use some prime and stability for a few days as precaution but doubt i needed it. 

since your a sandbed cleaner maybe just rinse existing and replace. you cant kill good bacteria by rinsing in saltwater. you will need a lot of water for rinsing sand though.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, jldesign said:

you will need a lot of water for rinsing sand though.

This is the part that makes me not want to rinse - it just seems sooooo wasteful. I've also thought about getting the new sand now, putting it in a tote, and rinsing it every week with old saltwater from my water changes... But then that means I'll have sand sitting in a tote in my house for a few weeks. 

11 hours ago, kimberbee said:

This is the part that makes me not want to rinse - it just seems sooooo wasteful. I've also thought about getting the new sand now, putting it in a tote, and rinsing it every week with old saltwater from my water changes... But then that means I'll have sand sitting in a tote in my house for a few weeks. 

Probably would have to keep it heated to ? I know the sand is cold in the bags but not sure what water is in the bag......once it hits saltwater not sure if it needs to be heated or not.

What is your window from moving out and into the new house? If there is a little time maybe just set up a big tote at the new place for temporary storage then take down the IMs and re set up? 

41 minutes ago, spectra said:

Probably would have to keep it heated to ? I know the sand is cold in the bags but not sure what water is in the bag......once it hits saltwater not sure if it needs to be heated or not.

What is your window from moving out and into the new house? If there is a little time maybe just set up a big tote at the new place for temporary storage then take down the IMs and re set up? 

I was definitely planning a tote for new saltwater at the new place. I could potentially do a second one for sand I suppose... we have our house till we sell it. We should probably contact a realtor sooner rather than later, but at this point, we dont have a deadline of when we need to be out.