Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kimber's Old Tank Thread

kimberbee

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
3 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

No, thank god... 

Jack just has a fascination with girl's dolls... it's the opposite of my foot aversion... 

(He needs help...)

Lmao well thanks for clearing it iI have been pretty confused. It's really funny though 🙃

10 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Ok since I'm still pretty new, what is this Elsa business?? Kimber, did you dress as Elsa or something one year for Halloween???

7 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

No, thank god... 

Jack just has a fascination with girl's dolls... it's the opposite of my foot aversion... 

(He needs help...)

Oh, don't be bashful. 

Kimber did make me an Elsa video ...... its here on NR somewhere......

• Haha 3
  • Wow 1
10 hours ago, patback said:

The issue with sun corals is getting them to open up.  Once they open and you feed them, they are easier.  

Dendros are supposedly easier than suncoral though.  I actually just picked one up yesterday. Guy cut a fresh frag for me on the bandsaw and 30 seconds of being in the bag it was opened again.  Whole ride home, dipping, and dropping it in my tank it stayed open.  

Dendros are easy..........I had one head and now its 5 or 6...........I do feed it once in a while but most of the time it just catches food in the water column..........

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

JFC... I'm never going to get my Duo parts... 

Screenshot_20191007-205107_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6bead4ac6107a09c64fb767747ea7a86.jpg

Wow..... almost a week to ship after printing labels . .   .. then what - a week of shipping by ground?  That sucks. 

What's the ETA? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

What's the ETA? 

Hour and a half ago...

Apparently it should only take 6 min to get to IN from LA... 

Screenshot_20191007-213312_Chrome.thumb.jpg.076eadcbeca074cc3886c44c998fbbe9.jpg

Real answer... I guess it'll get here when it gets here... 

• Sad 2
Just now, kimberbee said:

Hour and a half ago...

Apparently it should only take 6 min to get to IN from LA... 

Screenshot_20191007-213312_Chrome.thumb.jpg.076eadcbeca074cc3886c44c998fbbe9.jpg

Real answer... I guess it'll get here when it gets here... 

Not even for me, and I live next door to LA.

9 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Not even for me, and I live next door to LA.

I checked the website I ordered from - it's not coming directly from Dave. I did select "first class mail" which was the cheapest option. $3 to ship a $100 part that can fit in the palm of my hand. And technically it does say 5-10 days (I'm assuming business days), but I fogured that the 10 was a worst case for people that live as far as possible from the shipper. 

With places that do free ground shipping after $25... $40... maybe even $50... this is really disappointing. 

• Sad 1
1 minute ago, kimberbee said:

I checked the website I ordered from - it's not coming directly from Dave. I did select "first class mail" which was the cheapest option. $3 to ship a $100 part that can fit in the palm of my hand. And technically it does say 5-10 days (I'm assuming business days), but I fogured that the 10 was a worst case for people that live as far as possible from the shipper. 

With places that do free ground shipping after $25... $40... maybe even $50... this is really disappointing. 

That does seem rather excessive. That sucks I get so frustrated with delayed shipping.

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
9 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

And now I've got an order of snails placed with ReefCleaners to refresh my clean up crew! :happydance:

Nice!! I might order more. I keep sucking up the little cerths with the hose during water changes lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
53 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Nice!! I might order more. I keep sucking up the little cerths with the hose during water changes lol

I’m kinda sad that the stuff I bought from that Hawaiian supplier with the worms and brittle stars hasn’t seemed to take. I haven’t see a one of them since they arrived ☹️

• Sad 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
15 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I’m kinda sad that the stuff I bought from that Hawaiian supplier with the worms and brittle stars hasn’t seemed to take. I haven’t see a one of them since they arrived ☹️

Well maybe they are just hiding out. I wouldn't count them out.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Well maybe they are just hiding out. I wouldn't count them out.

Yeah I think there were six worms? And the brittle starts were almost microscopic but still. Even with a flight light hunt at night I see no worms. Maybe they’ll show up when they’re mutant sized

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Of *course* pink streaked wrasses are in stock on Live Aquaria... because I very much want one but I'm totally not ready.

Hoping to start adding fish to my tanks soon. 

I'm thinking a small wrasse and a blenny or goby for the 20. And in the 25 I'm hoping for a pair of mandarins or pipefish. 

I was surfing LA to see what I liked that needs a tank in the 30-50 gallon range. I've always wanted a yellow coris wrasse and an engineer goby, so I *might* be toying with the idea of a 50-60 gallon FOWLR... 🤔 If only that was big enough for a shark, my husband would be all in!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Before:

20191025_152456.thumb.jpg.5ada540a5f502ea6771ae7d7ed95ff5e.jpg

After:

20191027_140046.thumb.jpg.488bce3f981f07a622f9e8e3be02e6d4.jpg

IM Nuvo 20 - RFA and gorgonian tank, with one clownfish

Livestock plans: Add up to 10 more RFAs, collect a few nps gorgs (blueberry, spiral wire, yellow finger), and add sun corals (as much of a color variety as I can). Add 2-3 more fish, with a small wrasse and a clown goby at the top of that wish list. 

Equipment plans: New/upgraded heater, skimmer, second inTank media basket, new ato container. 

I really like a clean sandbed, so the plan is to keep everything along that back wall. I may use the rubble in the front left corner to mount the gorgonian that's hanging out in the sand to the right. That may be the one "island" I keep off the "main" rock, and might be a good place to mount a few sun corals. 

I spent 3 hours switching things around yesterday. 😴

I'll have an update on the lagoon once the sun isn't glaring on the tank - I can't get a decent picture of how it looks now!

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

Before:

20191025_152518.thumb.jpg.7653fdf2812cf6bc7605597dbf698197.jpg

After:

20191027_152226.thumb.jpg.2af212d12c131838ab94458c98d3809b.jpg

Lagoon 25 - Mixed reef (lps and softy) tank with one pair of black & white clownfish

Livestock plans: Hoping to find a few decently priced frogspawn and perhaps one more hammer, as well as 1 or 2 other poofy types of lps coral. I'd like to have fewer large colonies in this tank rather than many small ones. I am also hoping to add a pair of mandarin dragonetts or a pipefish pair - this will heavily depend on availability when I'm ready. 

Equipment plans: Pod hotel and/or rear chamber refugium and/or cheato reactor- whichever one (or combination) will help me keep a large pod population for previously mentioned fish.

Step one is to work on corals and placement, step two is to boost the pod population, so that I'm ready with a good environment and food supply for new fish (step 3).  The black sun coral and the finger leather to the left of the tank still need to be moved around. I actually have a few coral adjustments to make in regards to coral placement in this tank, but it's pretty close to done. 

• Like 4

What salt do you use and why? 

I've been using Red Sea Coral Pro, but I think the parameters mix up a little high for my needs now. I used to have a lot of sps pieces but not anymore. 

I plan to focus on lps/sofites in one tank and rfas/gorgs/nps in the other. I'd like to use the same salt for both tanks but want parameters closer to

Ca: 450

Alk: 10

Mg: 1300

I'd rather not bother to mix RSCP and blue bucket...

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
18 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I've been using Red Sea Coral Pro, but I think the parameters mix up a little high for my needs now. I used to have a lot of sps pieces but not anymore. 

I plan to focus on lps/sofites in one tank and rfas/gorgs/nps in the other. I'd like to use the same salt for both tanks but want parameters closer to

So i have been using live aquaria salt. It apparently doesn't keep alk up for a week. I wrote about in my journal this morning. I just ordered fritz rpm salt because it was closest to what my water is at now. I'll let you know how it is when i get it if you want. Oh and I haven't given up on live aquaria salt. I actually like it, just not happy with a 2dkh drop in 7 days. I want to see how fritz stores.

• Like 1
NaturallyKait

I use Fritz. I don’t have a lot of coral yet and nothing that really uses up alk or anything so I can’t speak to that but I’ve really liked the fritz. It mixes up so quickly. 

• Like 3
42 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I use Reef Crystals........ cheap and everyone sells it. 

• Like 3

I use Red Sea Coral Pro because I saw when I first got on here that people liked it, and both my LFSssssss use it and sell it. I can get a big bag of 200g worth of salt for $70 and it lasts me months. And when I mix it I can get a couple weeks out of a batch. Holds the KH well for a long time, but it does have high KH. 

• Like 3

Oh and check this- I just pulled out a 5 gallon bucket with mixed water that was MONTHS old (probably 2), and used it for water change. The ph was still 8.04, the salinity was dead on at 1.025 and the KH was 7.7 per Hanna checker. So that's down from the fresh mixed KH of 12, but not bad at all. 

• Like 4