SaltCritters.com

Kimber's Old Tank Thread

kimberbee

The hunt day five:

Ok... this guy hasn't moved... hasn't falled for the trap... hasn't been baited out with food on tweezers... 😑

Can I "FW dip" this guy out? 

My RFA's are at the top of this rock, and the crab is in a couple of caves in the middle. So if I'm careful with a baster, I can just blast it in the face. How much FW will kill it? I was thinking of doing this over a bucket of SW so that once he's out, he won't just be sitting in FW.

Thoughts?

• Like 4
42 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

That plan sounds promising - I'd just make sure the FW temperature matches the tank's

Now I've come across a few things suggesting hypersalinity... so... I'm not sure what route to go. I assume most FW dips are done with RO/DI, but I can just as easily try the hypersalinity route. Any suggestions send 'em over.

Best case scenario: I can flush out the crab and keep him. I have the pico on standby still. 

2nd best: I flush out the crab, but he doesn't make it. 😕 If it comes down to him or the safety/health of my tank, my current corals and fish take priority. 

Worst option: I have to manually stab/kill the crab. 😭😭 Probably a job delegated to my husband... 😬

It's definitely bigger than the molt I found Saturday night - it needs to come out before it does some damage. Innocent until proven guilty, but he's a suspect of interest in the disappearance of my rainford gobi. My clowns are probably safe from it for now... but I had plans to add some "peaceful" rock loving fish and I can't take that chance with this bad crab in there. 😖

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Wow 1

Um...was the water frozen?  

Room temp is usually fine and there should not be any luck required.

Let me link some YouTube videos that I made which shows how I mixed salt water for my daily water changes which I did for nearly a year.

The first video, which shows my manual method, was by far my favorite because it was so simple and still so fast.

It basically cut one whole device out of the process.  

Both methods were very good though and were much much faster and much better than any other method I tested, which included using air stones, pumps in every configuration, anything I could think of. I had lots of chances to test!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, mcarroll said:

Um...was the water frozen?  

Let me link some YouTube videos that I made which shows how I mixed salt water for my daily water changes which I did for nearly a year.

The first video, which shows my manual method, was by far my favorite because it was so simple and still so fast.

It basically cut one whole device out of the process.  

Both methods were very good though and were much much faster and much better than any other method I tested, which included using air stones, pumps in every configuration, anything I could think of. I had lots of chances to test!

I think she means good luck with the crab removal. 😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

I do keep the water in the basement, which is cooler than the house and last I checked it's about 65 down there. 

I'm mixing up this saltwater for my bad crab, who I'm hoping to get out of my main tank and into a small pest tank. Hoping some drops of ro/di will coax it out of the rock... 

1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

I think she means good luck with the crab removal. 😊

Yep! 😬

• Like 3
1 minute ago, kimberbee said:

it's about 65 down there

That's perfect and pretty normal. I think most people keep their water in the basement, I know I do and lots of others I know do.

6 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

That's perfect and pretty normal. I think most people keep their water in the basement, I know I do and lots of others I know do.

Just seems a bit cold to add to a tank that's kept at 78. Glad it works for you, but I'll keep heating my water change water.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Just seems a bit cold to add to a tank that's kept at 78. Glad it works for you, but I'll keep heating my water change water.

I agree that it may seem that way, but experience on my part and facts in science seem to dictate it is not that way.

Normal "off season" ambient temperatures in cool reef areas like Hawaii get down to around 70 degrees Farenheit all season. 

A momentary dip a few degrees lower will not have an effect.

Even at continuous 64 degrees F those corals lived for weeks before succumbing.

(These are the corals tested:  Pocillopora damicornis, Montipora verrucosa and Fungia scutaria....pretty ordinary stony corals.)

But if doing it your way works and you like it, then I'm glad just like you.

But it's not just me that it works for....anyone who cares to try.  😉 

It's mostly about saving time and energy....so do whatever suits you most.

Just to summarize...then I'm out:

• My experience has been that the tank inhabitants actually react very positively to the cooler water when it's added. 
  • This has been universal across fresh and saltwater too.
  • I also did it that way a couple hundred times, every day for almost a year.
  • Every single other water change I've ever done in the last 20 years (granted at a slower pace than daily) was also with unheated water around that temp.
  • Extra steps just seems like more work and more time spent for no real gain. 
  • That's why I quit doing all the extras during my daily water changes...it was just too much to do, and for no apparent reason. 
  • The "standard" mixing methods always leave salt laying on the bottom, which takes a LONG time to mix, and might even not mix if it sits long enough.

Have fun!  Good luck!  Bye!

• Like 1

I fcking did it!!

20190930_150859.thumb.jpg.8fa2fd3e0f33e19d6afbb9056839283e.jpg

Bad crab is out and in his new "prison"!!

20190930_152822.thumb.jpg.71f6aa506ff36c0d84c871fee4580f02.jpg

20190930_152938.thumb.jpg.3beefa8e3eb3f4c57b9f812ebdcbd38f.jpg

It took a bit, and in the end, I don't think it was the ro/di water that got him to come out. Instead I stuck some twist ties in at the top entrance to his cave, and then he scurried out the bottom. Once he was out enough, I was able to flick him off the rock with my tweezers!!

2052394713_giphy(6).gif.24c9809cd4d9ace330a7b7b5a7cb0061.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 11
  • Wow 1
Just now, kimberbee said:

I fcking did it!!

20190930_150859.thumb.jpg.8fa2fd3e0f33e19d6afbb9056839283e.jpg

Bad crab is out and in his new "prison"!!

20190930_152822.thumb.jpg.71f6aa506ff36c0d84c871fee4580f02.jpg

20190930_152938.thumb.jpg.3beefa8e3eb3f4c57b9f812ebdcbd38f.jpg

It took a bit, and in the end, I don't think it was the ro/di water that got him to come out. Instead I stuck some twist ties in at the top entrance to his cave, and then he scurried out the bottom. Once he was out enough, I was able to flick him off the rock with my tweezers!!

2052394713_giphy(6).gif.24c9809cd4d9ace330a7b7b5a7cb0061.gif

Yay!!!!omgomgomg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

Hahaha! That's awesome! And that crab is awesome looking, too!

It really is a pretty crab. I'm glad I didn't have to murder him! 😊

• Like 6

Here's a very quick update video on my 20 gallon tank:

Let me know what you think, or what the update is missing, so I can be sure to include it for my next update on my lagoon tank!

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

Looks gorgeous! Super glad to hear about the crab too! I'm sure he will be much happier in his own little, well... "enclosure." (Is it really prison if you have the place all to yourself!? 😁)

I really like the crate you use to hide your power strip and controllers! That's a nice touch to keep the visual clutter down.

• Like 3
53 minutes ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Beautiful tank. Very serene I could watch it all day. The gorgonian is my fav!

Thanks!! That gorgonian grew there from a single polyp that was left behind when I pulled away a plug. The original gorgonian had overgrown it's plug and I didn't realize it left a polyp behind when I moved it to a new location! 

12 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Looks gorgeous! Super glad to hear about the crab too! I'm sure he will be much happier in his own little, well... "enclosure." (Is it really prison if you have the place all to yourself!? 😁)

I really like the crate you use to hide your power strip and controllers! That's a nice touch to keep the visual clutter down.

🤔 Bachelor pad?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2