Innovative Marine Aquariums

Kimber's Old Tank Thread

kimberbee

The little goby is doing well in the 25 gallon. He definitely prefers the back left corner, but I know it's lower flow there. His left side fin already looks to be healing. 

The clownfish have been near him, but have not bothered him. It seems the female is too busy keeping the male in line! 

20190413_185733.thumb.jpg.dc451f3a5ac622044cda76918c328381.jpg

I've had to re-imagine my tank swap/upgrade because my original plan involved moving my orange clownfish, Andromeda, to the lagoon and housing her with the goby and a mandarin. But if she's gonna be a bully, I can't have that! 

I am now thinking she will go in the livingroom in the 20 which will be an lps/softy tank. I just need to consider a few more assertive fish options as her roommates. Any thoughts? 

Then, Lenny and Squiggy, the b&w clowns, get to stay in their 25 gallon. I'll let them keep their duncan home, but everything else will be gorgs, sun corals, and RFAs. I'll still plan on a mandarin, and possibly a clown goby. Would a clown goby be ok in a tank with lots of RFAs?

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

The little goby is doing well in the 25 gallon. He definitely prefers the back left corner, but I know it's lower flow there. His left side fin already looks to be healing. 

The clownfish have been near him, but have not bothered him. It seems the female is too busy keeping the male in line! 

I've had to re-imagine my tank swap/upgrade because my original plan involved moving my orange clownfish, Andromeda, to the lagoon and housing her with the goby and a mandarin. But if she's gonna be a bully, I can't have that! 

I am now thinking she will go in the livingroom in the 20 which will be an lps/softy tank. I just need to consider a few more assertive fish options as her roommates. Any thoughts? 

Then, Lenny and Squiggy, the b&w clowns, get to stay in their 25 gallon. I'll let them keep their duncan home, but everything else will be gorgs, sun corals, and RFAs. I'll still plan on a mandarin, and possibly a clown goby. Would a clown goby be ok in a tank with lots of RFAs?

What about some type of Blenny in the 20? 

• Like 2
Snow_Phoenix
14 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

My GCG is in a tank with a mini carpet nem and a RBTA and he's fine. He doesn't go anywhere near them - he prefers perching on my softies instead. I think RFAs don't have potent stings, am I correct? In that case, it should be alright.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

What about some type of Blenny in the 20? 

They've never caught my interest before, but I'll head over to LiveAquaria to see if any blennys look interesting. Off the rop of my head I can only think of lawnmower, starry, and midas, but surely there's a few other choices as well. 

As an update: the new rainford goby is still kickin'. I've seen him out and about a lot this weekend. Though he hasn't eaten any of the pellets or frozen food I've thrown in the tank, I have seen him pick at the rocks and sand. 

And in additional news: I posted on my Instagram a few pictures of my tank right after I fed a bit this evening. It's looking overrun by bristle worms! They congregate in a few areas, and I counted over 40 in the lagoon without really even trying hard. 

I'm wondering if that's a bit much. It would seem that they are like cockroaches - for each one you see, there are many more hidden!! Luckily I've noticed the large population and stopped putting my bare hands in the tank!!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

They've never caught my interest before, but I'll head over to LiveAquaria to see if any blennys look interesting. Off the rop of my head I can only think of lawnmower, starry, and midas, but surely there's a few other choices as well. 

As an update: the new rainford goby is still kickin'. I've seen him out and about a lot this weekend. Though he hasn't eaten any of the pellets or frozen food I've thrown in the tank, I have seen him pick at the rocks and sand. 

And in additional news: I posted on my Instagram a few pictures of my tank right after I fed a bit this evening. It's looking overrun by bristle worms! They congregate in a few areas, and I counted over 40 in the lagoon without really even trying hard. 

I'm wondering if that's a bit much. It would seem that they are like cockroaches - for each one you see, there are many more hidden!! Luckily I've noticed the large population and stopped putting my bare hands in the tank!!

Starry’s are hilarious and like most Blennys, don’t take no shit....... or .........Tail spot Blennys are super cute with their painted faces. 

Maybe put some of the worms in the other tank. 

• Like 2

3 months shy of having been in the hobby for 5 years. My first tank being the biocube, my first fish were Lenny and Squiggy.

4 years ago I started my second tank - the Nuvo 20. Andromeda, the a-hole fish's first home. Nick accidentally butt dialed me when I was filling up the tank. That was our first phone conversation. 

3 years ago, I moved to Nick's house. Lenny and Squiggy moved to the 25 gallon lagoon, and Andromeda moved to the 10 gallon. 

And finally, 1 year ago, next weekend, was when I moved everything to our new house. I have no pictures from then, because it cased some devastating losses. 

I've finally gotten the algae under control, I'm back on a maintenance schedule, and I've been able to replace a few things that were lost. 

Cheers to 5 years!! 🍻

• Like 6
1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

3 months shy of having been in the hobby for 5 years. My first tank being the biocube, my first fish were Lenny and Squiggy.

4 years ago I started my second tank - the Nuvo 20. Andromeda, the a-hole fish's first home. Nick accidentally butt dialed me when I was filling up the tank. That was our first phone conversation. 

3 years ago, I moved to Nick's house. Lenny and Squiggy moved to the 25 gallon lagoon, and Andromeda moved to the 10 gallon. 

And finally, 1 year ago, next weekend, was when I moved everything to our new house. I have no pictures from then, because it cased some devastating losses. 

I've finally gotten the algae under control, I'm back on a maintenance schedule, and I've been able to replace a few things that were lost. 

Cheers to 5 years!! 🍻

Yay for 5 years!! 😃

• Like 2

MarineDepot is having a "Tax Day" sale so I was gonna get my 20 gallon tank. 

Of course, I waited and now they are out of stock... 🤦‍♀️

🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

• Sad 1

Bummer! Can you order it with the discount anyway and have it shipped whenever it's back in stock? If not you might try emailing them - they'd probably hook you up. They're customer service has always been good to me

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I was able to get my new tank, thanks to a re-stock and sale extension! 

Amazon even delivered my new sand on Sunday!

But then I janked up my foot, so I've been trying to stay off of it. And now today I woke up with a sore throat. 

It's draining as it is taking care of the little one, trying to do so while hobbling around and feeling sick means I've been staring at my empty tank all week. 

I'm hoping the rest will help and I can use my upcoming child free weekend to catch up on many things!

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

My duncan fell onto my acan over the weekend. It was like that for possibly a couple of hours, I'm unsure of exactly how long. It happened while I was doing yardwork.

Yesterday at 7pm there were 2 heads that were severely damaged. 24 hours later 3 more heads (the looked fine yesterday) are mostly gone. Any ideas so I don't lose the whole colony?

20190424_191715.thumb.jpg.6e7e01e530d7c84a9ed8b7b045ce56d5.jpg

20190425_183439.jpg

• Sad 2
12 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

My duncan fell onto my acan over the weekend. It was like that for possibly a couple of hours, I'm unsure of exactly how long. It happened while I was doing yardwork.

Yesterday at 7pm there were 2 heads that were severely damaged. 24 hours later 3 more heads (the looked fine yesterday) are mostly gone. Any ideas so I don't lose the whole colony?

20190424_191715.thumb.jpg.6e7e01e530d7c84a9ed8b7b045ce56d5.jpg

20190425_183439.jpg

Is it possible to frag away the bad heads?

8 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Is it possible to frag away the bad heads?

Not sure what I could use. I don't have any traditional fragging tools. No bone cutters or dremel. Wasn't sure if I should try to turkey baste the dying flesh away, it's kind of milky looking. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Not sure what I could use. I don't have any traditional fragging tools. No bone cutters or dremel. Wasn't sure if I should try to turkey baste the dying flesh away, it's kind of milky looking. 

It couldn’t hurt especially if the damage is spreading. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

It couldn’t hurt especially if the damage is spreading. 

It's possible those heads were damaged and I just didn't notice since they are on the side. Sucks. It was finally turning around after the move from last year. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

i would leave it alone and just turkey baster off the dying heads.  i had a couple of acans with dead heads.  give them time (like months and months) and they will grow back eventually

I'm 99% sure these acans are ones I got from you. They've gone through a couple of set backs. 

• Like 2

Lost another head overnight. 

Death toll is at 6 heads. There's 3 heads left, plus 4 babies, plus one of the originally damaged heads is still hanging in there. I'll be sucking up/blasting off the dead flesh periodically today. It seems that the dead stuff was killing healthy parts as it died... 🤔

• Like 2

Ugh... this past week has been a rough one. 

Down to only a couple heads left on the acan, which is annoying, but that's coral warfare for you. 

Then two nights ago I noticed my pom pom crab molting which I thought was pretty cool. But the next morning it was in the same spot, still half molted. Checked on it later in the day - still hadn't moved. Just before lights out, I fed the tank. The crab's mouth moved, but it was still basically half molted. This afternoon, a day and a half after I noticed it molting, it was still in the same spot, but the color looked off. Took a chance and poked at it - definitely dead. 

I feel bad it had to die a slow death while molting. But at least it didn't suffer too long. 

• Sad 2
5 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Ugh... this past week has been a rough one. 

Down to only a couple heads left on the acan, which is annoying, but that's coral warfare for you. 

Then two nights ago I noticed my pom pom crab molting which I thought was pretty cool. But the next morning it was in the same spot, still half molted. Checked on it later in the day - still hadn't moved. Just before lights out, I fed the tank. The crab's mouth moved, but it was still basically half molted. This afternoon, a day and a half after I noticed it molting, it was still in the same spot, but the color looked off. Took a chance and poked at it - definitely dead. 

I feel bad it had to die a slow death while molting. But at least it didn't suffer too long. 

Poor guy. 😕 I’ve never had good luck with Pom Pom crabs..... not sure why. 

Hows your foot doing? 

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Poor guy. 😕 I’ve never had good luck with Pom Pom crabs..... not sure why. 

Hows your foot doing? 

My foot's doing better, so that's good. I've been wearing the boot even though it's very cumbersome. At least I'm not in pain every step I take. 

Getting up/down stairs is annoying, as well as doing any chore on my feet for more than a few minutes. Not sure when I'm going to get around to a water change - that usually entails being up and moving around for about 2 hours. 

• Like 3