Coral Vue Hydros

Kimber's Old Tank Thread

kimberbee

I was running a Jager in the lagoon that RTF picked up. I like them and there not that expensive.

I think the 10 and 20s are the same height also.........taller than the lagoon to.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, spectra said:

I was running a Jager in the lagoon that RTF picked up. I like them and there not that expensive.

I think the 10 and 20s are the same height also.........taller than the lagoon to.

My first biocube had one of those and almost cooked my fish. Now I use a "spare" for mixing water and it melted part of the cover of my powerhead. Plus, they are pretty tall and I'm not sure they'd fit - don't forget, I live where it snows and my house gets down to 68 in the winter. 

Just now, kimberbee said:

My first biocube had one of those and almost cooked my fish. Now I use a "spare" for mixing water and it melted part of the cover of my powerhead. Plus, they are pretty tall and I'm not sure they'd fit - don't forget, I live where it snows and my house gets down to 68 in the winter. 

Well had no issues with mine and at night my house gets down to 65 as I dont like heat at night.........

I use a jager in my big tank but its on the apex also.........

Other than that all my IM taks have used the neo therms.........but yours broke so........

2 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I had a titanium 100w heater by finnex for 3 years off ebay,great heater. And cheap!

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, pgrVII said:

I had a titanium 100w heater by finnex for 3 years off ebay,great heater. And cheap!

May go that + inkbird route. Sometimes I don't check the tank temps for a few days. I've been lucky and that luck might not last!

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

May go that + inkbird route. Sometimes I don't check the tank temps for a few days. I've been lucky and that luck might not last!

Mine has been rock solid, Lawn also uses them 

I threw a 100w Tetra heater onto my Walmart order for pickup tomorrow am. It's a preset @ 78 degrees kind that was only $20. I probably should have a spare heater anyways just in case something like this happens again. 

The little 25w is keeping the tank at 76, but seems to kick on frequently. I gave the tank a couple towels as blankets overnight to help keep the heat in. Considering its all rfas and gorgs, everything should be fine overnight. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, kimberbee said:

The little 25w is keeping the tank at 76, but seems to kick on frequently. I gave the tank a couple towels as blankets overnight to help keep the heat in. Considering its all rfas and gorgs, everything should be fine overnight. 

My tank was recently dipping as low as 73 in the evenings (down from 77 or so during the day) due to insufficient water movement over the heater since I switched the pump in my sump. Gorgs and softies in my tank showed no ill effects as a result of this, despite a ~4 degree daily temperature swing. So I wouldn't worry about it too much! 😄

1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

I keep hearing about these inkbird controllers. Seems like everybody but me is using one! What model are you looking at getting?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, billygoat said:

My tank was recently dipping as low as 73 in the evenings (down from 77 or so during the day) due to insufficient water movement over the heater since I switched the pump in my sump. Gorgs and softies in my tank showed no ill effects as a result of this, despite a ~4 degree daily temperature swing. So I wouldn't worry about it too much! 😄

I keep hearing about these inkbird controllers. Seems like everybody but me is using one! What model are you looking at getting?

That's encouraging to hear. 

Unsure about inkbird model. Having the spare Tetra will give me a little more time to research and decide!

Towels helped with the heat. Reads 77.5 this morning. Should have a temporary back up heater by this afternoon when the lights come on and I can take the towels off! :happydance:

• Like 3

Spare heater in place - all is good!! 

Back to your regularly scheduled programming:

The first step in the upgrade plan is to get the IM Nuvo Fusion 20 - which I plan to buy with built up points from my credit card. I have enough right now to redeem $150, but I'm hoping to cover the entire cost of the tank within the next few weeks. 

Next, I need to take a look at the lagoon and decide what I am going to move over to the 20, what will be left behind, and what might take a trip to the contest pico:

686655556_20190401_1109091.thumb.jpg.f40569592867e47d9f5d6d98e0752020.jpg

99034014_20190401_1109461.thumb.jpg.519724e8b8d28d80d4a5d8d48df6e710.jpg
Zone 1 (euphyllia island): Remove mushrooms from rock, trim dead heads from hammer, remove top half of rock
Mushrooms go to pico, hammer and gorgonian go to 20

Zone 2 (duncan island): Trim gorgonian, trim duncan
Entire rock and all corals go to 20

Zone 3 (behind the scenes): Remove mushroom from rock
Mushroom and zoas to pico, grandis palys to 20, rock stays

Zone 4 (sand bed): Mount 2 toadstool frags to small rocks
Toadstools to pico, remainder (plates, acans, toadstool, sinularia) go to 20

On 4/5/2019 at 10:53 AM, jedimasterben said:

Wait, are you consolidating both tanks into one or setting up a third (or fourth, with the contest pico?)?

Most things from the 25 are going into a 20. Then everything from the 10 is going into the 25. The 10 will then become empty. 

I have something for each tank coming next week. 🤞

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I have something for each tank coming next week. 🤞

Is it a surprise!? The suspense 😱

I can't wait to see how this project ends up. Multiple tank moves, new livestock, upgrades galore... it's quite the bold plan you've set out on.

• Like 2

Things arrived today. 

Super happy and surprised that the black sun was open after a few hours in the tank.

20190409_165025.thumb.jpg.5cffaf7f6cbf77cfd1f61743c88882dc.jpg

I'm a little worried that my clownfish might be beating up on the goby. 

20190409_165107.thumb.jpg.21ec16bc2b66ee90cd98bf397c99f467.jpg

At least they both arrived alive and well!!

• Like 3

Looks like a Rainford's goby? Hopefully it won't get bullied too hard!

Gorgeous black suns. Which of your tanks are those going to end up in?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, spectra said:

Love the black suns........... what tank is that in ?

What kind of goby?

@billygoat is right that it's a rainford goby. He's in the 10 gallon for now. 

The black sun coral is in the 25 gallon now, and it'll stay there once the tank swap happens.

• Like 1

I didnt even see it until you posted rainford..........hell I am old and blind :lol: soon you and Liam can read the I spy books.........

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

So... How much damage can a fishy fin take? How long for him to heal? 

My clownfish is picking on the new guy a bit. He's not bullied enough that he's hiding, but two of his fins are damaged. His rear fin and his left fin. He's only been in the tank a day and a half at this point, but I'm wondering if I should consider moving him to the lagoon for a while. I have two clowns in there, but there's more space for the three of them to spread out. Pic of the damage below. Tail is nipped at the edges and the left fin looks like it has a "v" shaped tear. 

20190410_200341.thumb.jpg.fd351eadbe40fab0397188c4a1e89a25.jpg

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, spectra said:

What clown is it with now?

Were they added at the same time?

Whats clowns in the 25 ?

The goby is in a 10 gallon with a single davinci clown now, and the clown is kind of a b-word. She's been in the tank for a couple years now.

Or I could move the goby to the 25 gallon with 2 (seemingly more peaceful) black and white clownfish.

The single clown bites me when my hand is in the tank. The other two don't care when I invade their space. 

I do have a small breeder box I could use. Though, I'm not sure if there is enough room in the 10 gallon for it. 

Ok so clown had the tank to itself and now you added a new fish...........can understand why its getting picked on. Hate to say it but the clown probably think it owns the tank........

I would say move it to the 25 and see what happens............

• Like 2
14 hours ago, spectra said:

I would say move it to the 25 and see what happens............

That's what I had to do. 

I peeked in on the little guy early this morning before the lights come on. He found a crevice to sleep in, but then I saw my clownfish poking around in the same spot. He came out, and I could see that his tail was a bit more beat up. Ugh...

It was surprisingly easy to net him, and I just plopped him right into the 25 gallon. He found a nice low flow spot, so I'm hopeful he'll settle in soon. 

20190411_104558.thumb.jpg.54be7c65049ad72b4a2c6db02eaeb79b.jpg

• Like 3