Top Shelf Aquatics

Kimber's Old Tank Thread

kimberbee

8 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

How is everything today? Jack said the leather and toadys could be shedding; they don't look dead, so I'm hoping they'll be okay.

2 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

Pictures would help- they might be dying.....

...... or could be shedding.  
:flower:

I've had them for many years, so I know what shedding looks like. Flesh is turning black and disintegrating. Pics aren't great cause the lights aren't on yet. I'm using a desk lamp to see into the tank now. 

20200321_092600.thumb.jpg.38e8aa9ec7bb107c8a8b480c2c7f90ae.jpg

• Sad 4
  • Wow 1
11 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Reef putty almost killed my fish once. Yet every other time I used it.....it was totally fine.

All I could find is that if it manipulated too much it can mess with pH?

Idk I have seen problems like this over the years after weld but it seems very uncommon. It seems reef safe 99 percent of the time and 1 percent shit gets pissed.

So lame. I won't be using it in the future on anything but a dry scape...

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
4 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I've had them for many years, so I know what shedding looks like. Flesh is turning black and disintegrating. Pics aren't great cause the lights aren't on yet. I'm using a desk lamp to see into the tank now. 

20200321_092600.thumb.jpg.38e8aa9ec7bb107c8a8b480c2c7f90ae.jpg

That’s not shedding .... but it might pull through 

• Like 3
ECLS Reefer
9 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

Pictures would help- they might be dying.....

...... or could be shedding.  
:flower:

Dont say they could be dying! No one needs that level of negativity to start the day with! 😝

• Haha 3
30 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

So lame. I won't be using it in the future on anything but a dry scape...

Yeah... Note taken, I wonder what it is which can sometimes crash a system and other times never even end up in the water.... 

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer
2 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

This black nastiness moves fast. Never seen anything like it... 😥

you still doing daily water changes? At this point the corals are probably putting out their own toxins in response to whatever the water weld did to them. You probably need to change the carbon and water daily to stop them. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

you still doing daily water changes? At this point the corals are probably putting out their own toxins in response to whatever the water weld did to them. You probably need to change the carbon and water daily to stop them. 

Meh... no way I have time for that!! 

The only things irritated in the tank are the hammer and the sinularia. I've already swapped out the carbon, and will to that every other day for a week. The hammers are coming around, so I might only lose 1 or 2 heads of that. 

• Like 5
ECLS Reefer
2 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Meh... no way I have time for that!! 

The only things irritated in the tank are the hammer and the sinularia. I've already swapped out the carbon, and will to that every other day for a week. The hammers are coming around, so I might only lose 1 or 2 heads of that. 

That's good. The media must be working.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
kimberbee
On 4/22/2020 at 9:34 PM, debbeach13 said:

Any news? How are the corals doing?

7 hours ago, mipster said:

Did the corals pull through?

Somehow, I wasn't even following my own thread... 🤦‍♀️

The hammers took a week or two to start recovering, and then after that, started to thrive. I was actually super suprised that I lost NONE of the hammer heads!

Everything was looking great till last weekend a few hours after I did a water change... 

The hammers were suuuuuper pissed about something and were back to a half dead state - mostly retracted, black tips on the tentacles, receded flesh. I did a round of testing and everything tested out normal. I changed out the carbon and hoped for the best.

I'm completely baffled. They're still hanging on, but looking ragged still, almost a week later. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1
debbeach13

Stop pissing them off with water changes. JK It is such a pain in the butt when some corals start looking like crap and every thing seems fine. I hope they recover for you. Are you getting any feeding response from them? You probably know more about their care then I do. I am a softy reefer by heart. I only have one hammer that would look good - then wouldn't. I am so lazy I always broad cast fed my tank. I started spot feeding the hammer and a couple other corals just a little before broad cast feeding the tank and since that small change the hammer has looked great since. Knock on wood. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Sharbuckle
On 3/20/2020 at 12:53 PM, kimberbee said:

So. I really messed up... 

I've been pretty lucky at avoiding disaster for the past 5.5 years. Other than the move where I lost half the corals in my lagoon, I really haven't dealt with too much bad. Until yesterday...

I thought I was doing good by mounting my various hammer frags onto some rocks, but it turned very bad, very quickly. I used JB Water Weld, which is definitely reef safe once cured. I used it to create the rock structure in both of my tanks. So it must not be ok to use in the tank when still pliable. My hammers are pissed the eff off, like turning black, losing flesh, totally shrunken pissed. And my sinularia leather, the one that came with my tank when I purchased it used, is turning black and disintegrating. 

I changed out my chemipure packs, added additional carbon, and did a 4.5 gallon water change. That's about all I can think to do. Not sure if fragging anything is even worth it at this point. Do I mess with my corals and risk pissing them off even more so they die? Do I sit back and wait, but then they die cause I do nothing? 

I'm pissed at myself. Finally felt like things were back on track and I could start adding to my tank after 2 years and now this. About to lose 2 of my first corals. 

I know it sounds dramatic, but if they don't bounce back... the future of this tank looks bad. 

20200320_110249.thumb.jpg.f2986529e00729e70d4fbe979f9cee3f.jpg

Oh no 😞 hang in there!

2 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Somehow, I wasn't even following my own thread... 🤦‍♀️

The hammers took a week or two to start recovering, and then after that, started to thrive. I was actually super suprised that I lost NONE of the hammer heads!

Everything was looking great till last weekend a few hours after I did a water change... 

The hammers were suuuuuper pissed about something and were back to a half dead state - mostly retracted, black tips on the tentacles, receded flesh. I did a round of testing and everything tested out normal. I changed out the carbon and hoped for the best.

I'm completely baffled. They're still hanging on, but looking ragged still, almost a week later. 

Oh thank god! 

wait the hammers aren’t doing well again? So many mixed emotions 

• Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...

So, 2020 has sure been quite the year already...

I've taken a bit of a mental break from the reefing hobby - I still have my tanks and go through the motions of upkeep and maintenance, but most weeks I'm really just doing the bare minimum. 

With the stay-at-home orders in place, my husband and I are not 100% immune to the economic effects. We're getting along alright for now, and luckily have that "for a rainy day fund" if we need it, but I certainly have been a lot more careful with our money. I made a few bulk purchases in March to get me through year end if needed (things like salt, filter floss, and replacement cartridges for the ro/di unit), but other purchases, like livestock and pump upgrades, will just have to wait. 

My heart and focus just isn't on the tanks right now. 

In addition to that, just before Thanksgiving, my cat was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease - something that he will not recover from. It was quite a shock - I was told he was only 5yo and I'd only had him for a little over a year. We've managed for the past 6 months, but it's becoming... unmanageable... another reason my attention is away from my reefs. 

Just wanted to give an update. I'm around, lurking... but most of the time I can't come up with a response to what's been posted in other threads... my heart and mind are just focused on other things. 

• Sad 3
  • Wow 1
ECLS Reefer
1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

So, 2020 has sure been quite the year already...

I've taken a bit of a mental break from the reefing hobby - I still have my tanks and go through the motions of upkeep and maintenance, but most weeks I'm really just doing the bare minimum. 

With the stay-at-home orders in place, my husband and I are not 100% immune to the economic effects. We're getting along alright for now, and luckily have that "for a rainy day fund" if we need it, but I certainly have been a lot more careful with our money. I made a few bulk purchases in March to get me through year end if needed (things like salt, filter floss, and replacement cartridges for the ro/di unit), but other purchases, like livestock and pump upgrades, will just have to wait. 

My heart and focus just isn't on the tanks right now. 

In addition to that, just before Thanksgiving, my cat was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease - something that he will not recover from. It was quite a shock - I was told he was only 5yo and I'd only had him for a little over a year. We've managed for the past 6 months, but it's becoming... unmanageable... another reason my attention is away from my reefs. 

Just wanted to give an update. I'm around, lurking... but most of the time I can't come up with a response to what's been posted in other threads... my heart and mind are just focused on other things. 

I get it. I was devastated to lose my kitty girl a year ago yesterday. I was in such a funk, thinking it was my fault, the vet made a mistake, could I have saved her if I’d just done x y or z different? I loved her she was my girl and picked me out, and I felt like I failed her. The new girl is sweet and *mostly* my girl, but she’s not my Lily. Having to say goodbye to a pet is awful. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

Been a weird and rough few months, but the weirdness is starting to calm down. 

I'm catching up on everyone's tanks and threads, and I'm finally able to start my next project!!

• Like 6
49 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Been a weird and rough few months, but the weirdness is starting to calm down. 

I'm catching up on everyone's tanks and threads, and I'm finally able to start my next project!!

I hope everything is going well for you in these crazy times...my build probably wasn’t the smartest move as I’m trying to save up for college and then 1k disappeared into the tank build 

• Wow 2

Catching up on your thread. Sorry about the kitty. So glad you are doing better, in time you and the new kitty will be best friends.. Always exciting to start a new tank. At first I was what project needs 4 tanks! I am not on Instagram but the 2.6 rimless looks nice. Then the 2 gallon bowl is so cute. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 months later...

Life update: My kitty passed away in September and it really sucked - I only got to spend 2 years with him. I adopted two orange kittens (brothers) about a month ago. Their presence helps the house not feel so empty. 

Tank update: The hammers recovered ok after the near-crash in March. Then the same thing happened again a few months ago. I determined it was actually the palys in my tank releasing toxins and pissing everything off. I've had to run a lot of extra carbon.

Then earlier this week *something* happened and I lost most of my mushrooms - I checked on the tank Monday morning and saw a pile of goop on the rocks. I did an emergency water change and swapped out the carbon for new. Coral warfare is annoying. 

I really haven't done much with the tanks this year... I'm thinking of making a few changes this winter. It might involve new tanks and a new thread. I'm working on the logistics to see when/if I can get started. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5
  • Wow 1
7 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Then earlier this week *something* happened and I lost most of my mushrooms

Figure it out...please!...I'd add that "something" to my tank in a heartbeat.  DAMN MUSHROOMS!!

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Figure it out...please!...I'd add that "something" to my tank in a heartbeat.  DAMN MUSHROOMS!!

Shrooms are really pretty though. I've been trying to repopulate a large LR piece in the back of my tank with more shrooms. 

• Like 2

Mine were the very first corals I purchased....a few single polyps for $5 each or something like that.  CURSED BEGINNER CORALS!  They've been rampant ever since...and seem be REALLY ATTRACTED to the bases of stony corals....which is often doom for the stony coral.  Not many things can defend against mushrooms...at least not these.  (neon green, blue, and blue speckled)

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
59 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Mine were the very first corals I purchased....a few single polyps for $5 each or something like that.  CURSED BEGINNER CORALS!  They've been rampant ever since...and seem be REALLY ATTRACTED to the bases of stony corals....which is often doom for the stony coral.  Not many things can defend against mushrooms...at least not these.  (neon green, blue, and blue speckled)

I had no idea they could grow to plague-like proportions. I've been trying to slowly repopulate my Mushroom Mountain & restock it with different varieties. 

I actually admire reeftanks which are packed with shrooms - even if it's the normal red, green & blue ones. I think it looks very beautiful when it fills up the tank like that - like an underwater forest with colorful cup fungi. 😅

• Like 3