Pod Your Reef

Kimber's Old Tank Thread

kimberbee

Wow. If you add extra support to the middle of the 'countertop' under the tank, will it bow back up to support the glass?

Did you check if it's also sagging along the back edge of the tank? And the sides?

I actually had a similar experience with my tank. I used some salvaged white formica countertop under the tank. It was perfectly straight at first, but over the first month or two, I notice the tank was leaning to the back. It turned out the center of the platform was unsupported along the back side and sagging. You couldn't see it from the front because the front edge was well supported. I added some blocks of wood to bring the middle back up and now it's all level again. Don't know if that's practical with your sump design/layout, though.

Wow. If you add extra support to the middle of the 'countertop' under the tank, will it bow back up to support the glass?

Did you check if it's also sagging along the back edge of the tank? And the sides?

I actually had a similar experience with my tank. I used some salvaged white formica countertop under the tank. It was perfectly straight at first, but over the first month or two, I notice the tank was leaning to the back. It turned out the center of the platform was unsupported along the back side and sagging. You couldn't see it from the front because the front edge was well supported. I added some blocks of wood to bring the middle back up and now it's all level again. Don't know if that's practical with your sump design/layout, though.

There is some bowing front to back, but the built in leveling mat seems to have taken care of that. I think it was just a cheap piece of counter top. Thanks, Obama. Since we're going to put plywood down as a temp solution, we are going to try to add some support to the center of the frame.

• Like 1

When I first ordered the lagoon tank, the fact that it didn't come with a lid wasn't an issue for me. I left that a problem for future Kimber to worry about!

Luckily, the old IM 40 lid fit side to side, and only had a couple inch gap front to back. For a few months, I used the old lid with the new tank and simply draped a towel over the back where the lid didn't quite cover. This worked out pretty well, wasn't terribly ugly, and worked for a few months... until I sold the old tank and had to give up the lid.

29238028863_4da6a2ea8e_z.jpg

I don't really like the IM lids, the mesh screen is full of imperfections and I feel like it blocks a lot of light. To the quickest solution to keep my fishes from jumping out was a cardboard lid. Definitely not the best long term, because no light could get into the tank, but I am paranoid of jumpers and I'm pretty cheap. I did take the cardboard off when I was home at night and could keep an eye on things, but that meant the tank was only getting about 4 hours of light a day.

I went out to buy supplies to make my own lid - a screen frame kit from Menards (with hacksaw and spline tool), and some mesh fabric from Jo Anns. I forgot about the need for new IM clips, so I improvised for a few more weeks and held the mesh in place with binder clips.

30419091624_27a2c63e32_z.jpg

Two weekends ago I finally got everything together to get the lid made and in place. The hacksaw did an OK job - but the corners are a little jagged and not as clean as I'd like. I pulled the fabric too tight, so the screen doesn't quite sit flat. And I pushed too hard on the spline tool in a few places, slipping and cutting a few holes in the fabric.

30419027644_24e64cfa9b_z.jpg

30419025504_5584439d9d_z.jpg

It works for now, but I will probably re-do the screen at some point. First I gotta make sure the fabric and frame survive being above saltwater for a while. At least it was a cheap and relatively easy fix.

30419027024_ec3fc28d17_z.jpg

• Like 7

Nice work! I made my screen top too...a cinch when you don't have to make cutouts for anything (like a filter). I really like the BRS screen. If you find this mesh doesn't work well for you, keep them in mind :).

• Like 1
RIP Sebastian

Unhappy Monday to you all!!

For those of you paying attention, I posted elsewhere last night a horrible issue I found with my tank. I needed some quick input and I thank anyone who responded.

The story goes: I was pulling out corals to sell Sunday morning, and I dripped some water down the front of the tank like the clumsy person I am. When I went to carefully wipe the saltwater away, the paper towel I was using SLID UNDER THE TANK. No bueno!!

31020327791_f124609b87_z.jpg

Upon further inspection, the counter top I used is bowing side to side. This means most of the weight of my tank is on it's 4 corners. That's what I get for going the cheapest route at Menards. I had wanted a granite or corian top, but the cost seemed out of range.

31105384036_8f90cc2c0a_z.jpg

30320354914_eb1ae12139_z.jpg

LESSON LEARNED!! Don't ever go the cheapest route. Maybe the second cheapest, but never the absolute cheapest.

New plan is to get a thick piece of plywood and some foam from Menards to make a temporary top - Nick is awesome and he has offered to do this for me as soon as he gets home this afternoon. I can get a custom sized corian top ordered and delivered from Menards, though they usually has a 2 -3 week lead time.

I offered what now? XD

• Like 1

When I first ordered the lagoon tank, the fact that it didn't come with a lid wasn't an issue for me. I left that a problem for future Kimber to worry about!

Luckily, the old IM 40 lid fit side to side, and only had a couple inch gap front to back. For a few months, I used the old lid with the new tank and simply draped a towel over the back where the lid didn't quite cover. This worked out pretty well, wasn't terribly ugly, and worked for a few months... until I sold the old tank and had to give up the lid.

29238028863_4da6a2ea8e_z.jpg

I don't really like the IM lids, the mesh screen is full of imperfections and I feel like it blocks a lot of light. To the quickest solution to keep my fishes from jumping out was a cardboard lid. Definitely not the best long term, because no light could get into the tank, but I am paranoid of jumpers and I'm pretty cheap. I did take the cardboard off when I was home at night and could keep an eye on things, but that meant the tank was only getting about 4 hours of light a day.

I went out to buy supplies to make my own lid - a screen frame kit from Menards (with hacksaw and spline tool), and some mesh fabric from Jo Anns. I forgot about the need for new IM clips, so I improvised for a few more weeks and held the mesh in place with binder clips.

30419091624_27a2c63e32_z.jpg

Two weekends ago I finally got everything together to get the lid made and in place. The hacksaw did an OK job - but the corners are a little jagged and not as clean as I'd like. I pulled the fabric too tight, so the screen doesn't quite sit flat. And I pushed too hard on the spline tool in a few places, slipping and cutting a few holes in the fabric.

30419027644_24e64cfa9b_z.jpg

30419025504_5584439d9d_z.jpg

It works for now, but I will probably re-do the screen at some point. First I gotta make sure the fabric and frame survive being above saltwater for a while. At least it was a cheap and relatively easy fix.

30419027024_ec3fc28d17_z.jpg

Looks good and that fabric looks almost like the IM stuff? I have the stuff from BRS and made the same lid out of a screen kit. Works great but does get some salt creep over time. You will be all good with it.......

And whats growing in the bucket?

Looks good and that fabric looks almost like the IM stuff? I have the stuff from BRS and made the same lid out of a screen kit. Works great but does get some salt creep over time. You will be all good with it.......And whats growing in the bucket?

Extra rocks that didn't fit from the 40 to 25 swap... not sure what to do with perfectly good live rock...

Extra rocks that didn't fit from the 40 to 25 swap... not sure what to do with perfectly good live rock...

Sell or just let it dry out..........Hell unless there is some good growth on it hard to get rid of. Most people want to start clean and not worry about pests..........

When I started my 100 I had plenty of rock to seed it but wanted nothing to do with what I had :lol: to many pests........even though I dip and clean crap........I may toss a bristle worm in as they are good scavengers..........

Nice job on the lid kimber! I made one using a screen kit and the mesh from BRS. Like gena said they are easy if you don't have to cut around equipment. Seahorses don't jump so I do not have a lid now.

• Like 1

Nice job on the lid kimber! I made one using a screen kit and the mesh from BRS. Like gena said they are easy if you don't have to cut around equipment. Seahorses don't jump so I do not have a lid now.

Thanks, it does it's job keeping the fish in without blocking the light so I am happy. Plus the imperfections aren't noticeable unless you are looking for them (of course, I am looking for them). Also, it seems the fabric has had time to stretch a little, so the frame sits flat now. :happy:

I will likely re-do lids for both tanks in the spring using the leftovers, of which I have plently. The aluminum frame is a dark grey-ish brown color, so I'm thinking of doing a coat of black krylon both to protect it from the saltwater as well as make it match everything else color wise. I also got jagged edges using the hack saw, so I think a table saw or circular saw with a better quality blade would get cleaner edges. Too cold to go work in the garage now till spring, so I can wait a few months!

Looks good and that fabric looks almost like the IM stuff?

Nope, costume fabric from Jo Anns. I didn't look but I'm sure it's cotton, or polyester, or something. It was on sale and I got 2 yards for just a couple of bucks. It does have a similar shape to the IM stuff, but it's much thinner and lighter.

I should have paid more attention to what it was - There's probably other people looking for a good mesh material and I'm sure I'll want more eventually...

The lid looks good! I'm using the IM one that came with my 40 but I agree it seems to block a lot of light. I may have to try doing my own again. I did one for my 4g tank and it turned out OK.

I had no idea it was material.

I used "tulle" fabric in my 4g tank. It's black and very thin.

What I used was not quite tulle, but is basically the same. It's holes are a little bigger I think. I wanted to make sure it let through plenty of light.

I didn't think about it, but when I moved my tank to the new house, I turned my nanobox down a bit to help the corals with the transition. I then turned it down again when I switched to the lagoon since the light would be closer to the corals. Then I forgot I needed to slowly increase the lights. So my corals have been under only 20% whites for the past few months. Need to start bringing that back up.

• Like 3

Amazing setup! Shoot me a few photos when you have a chance.

-Dave

I should get my DSLR out soon and get some proper pics to send over.

Any suggestions on what I should aim for with the Nanobox over my Lagoon 25? It's mixed with a few acros, some leathers, and euphyllia.

Duncan is growling like crazy. I started with 3 heads I think and it's now up to 20 + babies coming!!

• Like 1

I should get my DSLR out soon and get some proper pics to send over.

Any suggestions on what I should aim for with the Nanobox over my Lagoon 25? It's mixed with a few acros, some leathers, and euphyllia.

Duncan is growling like crazy. I started with 3 heads I think and it's now up to 20 + babies coming!!

Starting to get Nanobox envy :wub: Looking at lights for my newish 20 long. I figured I would just add another Prime. But the light over your tank thats about to burst looks great.

• Like 1

So what’s next for my tanks?

Andromeda’s Galaxy:

1. Feed more – I currently feed frozen once or twice a week when I remember. I plan to bump this up to at least 2 times a week for frozen, 2 times a week for pellets, and 2 times a week for small particle food. (This applies to both tanks!!)

2. Add a fish – Something small, that won’t be too shy, but big enough that it won’t be a meal for my RFAs! Likely a Pink Streaked Wrasse or similar small wrasse. I tried a Firefish last weekend, and it died a few hours after going into the tank, pretty sad about that...

3. Put a skimmer into action – With feeding more, and another fish, this is probably a good idea. Especially cause I’d like to try a non-photo gorg eventually which will need a lot of food, too. Now, do I get another Eshopps Nano or something else?

4. New lid maybe – But this depends on how the lid on my Lagoon holds up, though it's doing pretty good.

5. Better equipment maintenance – I need to be better about cleaning pumps and the back chambers. By the tank’s one year birthday I’d like to have given everything a good scrub! I did get a battery powered siphon last week to help with the back chambers. (again, applicable to both tanks!)

The Lagoon:

1. Get rid of extra corals/Mount loose corals – Get the sand bed cleaned up and everything in a more permanent place.

2. Put the powerhead in play – This is really just me being lazy…

3. Get more pods!! – I’m going back and forth on the best way to boost my pod population. Should I add a HOB fuge? Should I add extra bio media? Undecided.

4. More fish – I’m leaning towards a lone mandarin, or pair if I can find a couple. It’s the main reason for wanting to boost up dem pods!

5. Skimmer – I have the Eshopps nano skimmer, I just need to put it in place. A necessity if/once I add a mandarin or two.

Sorry for lack of pics this week - I will make it up next week with a "Tank Photoshoot" post next Friday!

31228919572_bdaa5a1a93_z.jpg

• Like 7

That shot w/ the crab!!! Love it. I don't have any and I think I need a couple to watch. I bought one but it didn't make its first night in my 10g back when.

• Like 2

That shot w/ the crab!!! Love it. I don't have any and I think I need a couple to watch. I bought one but it didn't make its first night in my 10g back when.

My initial order had 2, one didn't make it past the first week. I'd also recommend Pedersen anemone shrimp, they look really cute walking on the nems. :wub:

• Like 1

My initial order had 2, one didn't make it past the first week. I'd also recommend Pedersen anemone shrimp, they look really cute walking on the nems. :wub:

I wonder if they're just real sensitive crabs enroute. I've never had a problem w/ mithrax or any hitchiikers that were barely in water when they came over.

Wait, what happened with the bowing surface the tank's on? Was that fixed? Did I miss it?

We're just not going to talk about that... :(

(I'm still trying to get a replacement top)

• Like 1