Coral Vue Hydros

Kimber's Old Tank Thread

kimberbee

1 minute ago, kimberbee said:

I was definitely planning a tote for new saltwater at the new place. I could potentially do a second one for sand I suppose... we have our house till we sell it. We should probably contact a realtor sooner rather than later, but at this point, we dont have a deadline of when we need to be out. 

Well if you have time maybe set up a tote then at the new place and transfer everything to it.

That gives you a little time to get the tanks cleaned and moved. You can also use some of the saltwater out of the tanks to rinse the sand maybe?

I have moved tanks before and its not fun but there are plenty of ways of doing it. I like your idea of new sand though.

• Like 1

Everything with the new house is right on track. Inspection went well, appraisal went well, all that's left is to schedule closing, which will likely be at the end of March. It looks like we'll probably be moving the first week or two of April.

I've been half sick for a week now - sick enough that I'm tired and feel like crap (sore throat, stuffy nose, tired AF), but not quite sick enough to stay home from work (no fever, plus I don't have any PTO so it would be unpaid).  I'm really hoping to get a video update made this weekend but, ugh, energy is lacking. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
Christopher Marks

That's great the home purchase is moving along smoothly, not everyone gets so lucky! One month out, how exciting! It goes by fast, I just passed the 5th anniversary of moving into my house.

Hope you feel better soon!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, vlangel said:

Sorry to hear that you are not feeling up to par.  Get well soon!

I really honestly planned to do a water change this week, even though I didn't really feel up to it. But I totally forgot to made more RO/DI during the week, so when I went to the closet to pull everything out, there was just a bunch of empty storage jugs... whoops!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

I really honestly planned to do a water change this week, even though I didn't really feel up to it. But I totally forgot to made more RO/DI during the week, so when I went to the closet to pull everything out, there was just a bunch of empty storage jugs... whoops!

distilled h20 at wallymart!!!

22 minutes ago, jldesign said:

distilled h20 at wallymart!!!

Ew. That requires me to go to Walmart, no thanks! The tank will be just fine till next week!! :happydance:

• Haha 1

god damn mother ####ing son of a bitch

I'm pretty sure this is the remains of my pink streaked wrasse. There's nothing else blue in the tank. 

20180306_174940.jpg

• Sad 2

O no, what do you think happened to the wrasse ?

Nice video.  I would get the battery back up pumps but I would not worry too much about a temperature drop.  As long as you bring it back up slowly, everything will be fine.  Both fish and coral take lower temperatures ok, it's higher temperatures that can cause a problem.

13 hours ago, vlangel said:

O no, what do you think happened to the wrasse ?

Nice video.  I would get the battery back up pumps but I would not worry too much about a temperature drop.  As long as you bring it back up slowly, everything will be fine.  Both fish and coral take lower temperatures ok, it's higher temperatures that can cause a problem.

I think he was surviving but not thriving - my clownfish was very aggressive when it came to dinner time and would dive for ALL the food. My wrasse was too timid to "fight" for food in the tank, and though I always tried to drop whatever to the sand in a quiet corner, I don't think it was enough to keep him at his best, you know? 

He also slept in a rock crevice under one of my larger RFAs - I dunno how potent an RFA sting really is, but it just so happens that where his spines were left behind was close to that big RFA. I had him almost a year, and I don't know how old he was when I got him, didn't seem to be a tiny thing so maybe he was a little older?

And about the heaters - well, after messing in my tanks last night looking for my wrasse, I forgot to turn my return pump back on. So my tank was 12 hours without heat, basically. It only got down to 72, which isn't great, but isn't awful either. But at least now I'm pretty sure I can do without heaters during the move!

• Like 1

Yep, I have had fish and coral in with the seahorses and my tank even gets down to 70 or a little lower and everything is just fine.  Just heat them up slowly to acclimate them.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/4/2016 at 7:43 AM, kimberbee said:

All is well. Lights working, fish came out. Here's a little teaser till I can to a proper photo shoot:

26165024091_1c6158076a_c.jpg

Holy crap... I moved my tanks to Nick's house two years ago yesterday! 

I had to go back to see how I did it so I can prepare to move them again in 3 weekends! 

(pulled from an old thread)

• Like 3

So my notes from last time reminded me that it took 3 hours to break down both tanks, then 6 hours to put them back together. The downside is, I only traveled 15 minutes and this time I will need to travel an hour. I also left the old tanks behind because new tanks were waiting foe me when I go to Nick's house. This time I will need to empty/clean the tanks completely because they'll be transported. Because of the extra time needed for travel and cleaning, I think I'm going to transport the tanks on separate days.

I'm working on writing out a plan now. :scarry:

• Like 1

Maybe just set up a rubbermaid tub with a pump and a heater at the new place? Then you won't be so pressured to get the new tank set up the second you walk in the door with it.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, kimberbee said:

So my notes from last time reminded me that it took 3 hours to break down both tanks, then 6 hours to put them back together. The downside is, I only traveled 15 minutes and this time I will need to travel an hour. I also left the old tanks behind because new tanks were waiting foe me when I go to Nick's house. This time I will need to empty/clean the tanks completely because they'll be transported. Because of the extra time needed for travel and cleaning, I think I'm going to transport the tanks on separate days.

I'm working on writing out a plan now. :scarry:

Kimber, when I have moved and transferred tanks I put all the fish from 1 tank in a bucket with a battery operated air pump.  The coral do fine without the pump.  I used salt buckets with lids.

3 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Maybe just set up a rubbermaid tub with a pump and a heater at the new place? Then you won't be so pressured to get the new tank set up the second you walk in the door with it.

Hahaha... if I didn't have asshole pets I could probably do this. As it is, if I dont want drool from the dog, or cat paws in the water, I have to seal it off. I've learned to keep lids on my water change buckets when mixing water... :rolleyes:

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

Hahaha... if I didn't have asshole pets I could probably do this. As it is, if I dont want drool from the dog, or cat paws in the water, I have to seal it off. I've learned to keep lids on my water change buckets when mixing water... :rolleyes:

Yeah, that would be a problem :lol:

• Like 1

We spent an hour at the house after closing looking over what needs to be cleaned (not much) and painted (who puts colors on their ceiling?!?). 

My plan for the 10 gallon to go in the kitchen might not work as I didn't realize there was no outlet on the wall!! I can either run a power strip around the corner into the hallway, or find a different spot.

Also an issue with where I wanted to put the lagoon tank!! Initially I was going to put it between two south-facing windows, but there is a register there and I don't know that I want to block it. Ugh!

• Like 2

It's been a busy few days and there's no sign of it stopping! 

The plan was to paint Saturday and shampoo the carpets Sunday... Except painting took two full days and we're still not quite done!! That means we'll have to go to the house sometime this week to finish the painting and again to do the carpets... And of course my in-law's want to have dinner with us before we move "out of state"!!

We need to manage to have everything packed (hint, there's not much packed at the moment...) before Friday, because Friday directly from work my husband picks up the U-Haul, a few friends are coming over, and everything gets loaded! 

omgomgomg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Soooo...

I moved the lagoon Sunday and the 10 gallon yesterday. I thought Sunday went well until I brought everything from the 10 gallon home yesterday afternoon. 

Things had cleared up in the lagoon and are not looking great. One frag of setosa dead, the other half-dead, undata half-dead, purple monti is mostly dead, seasons greetings monti dead, blueberry gorgonian dead, yellow sun coral very shrunken, black sun coral losing flesh and I can't tell if it's going to make it because... 

My duo won't turn on. I set it up yesterday morning hoping it would turn on as normal at 1pm, so I knew something was off when I walked in at 3pm and nada. So the tank was at that point 2 days with no light. 

The tide for the 10 gallon turned on right away so it's over the lagoon for now, and the bulb from the pico contest tank is over the 10 gallon. Thank god i have that extra bulb... 

I'm super pissed things didn't go as well this time. But at least my fish, shrimps, and crab are all ok so far. 

Trying to look on the bright side because I did discover a baby RFA this morning and it looks like an ultra. I hope it doesnt move so I can get a better look this afternoon. 

• Like 2