Cultivated Reef

Kimber's Old Tank Thread

kimberbee

:lol:Easy fix just need to do it.

Best price I can find is $250 and I gotta wait another pay period to be able to drop that cash.

Because we made the stand 25.5 inches and standard counter top or butcher block is 24 inches, anything that works has to be custom. Of course...

Best price I can find is $250 and I gotta wait another pay period to be able to drop that cash.

Because we made the stand 25.5 inches and standard counter top or butcher block is 24 inches, anything that works has to be custom. Of course...

If it was me I would just get a yoga mat and call it good. Way cheaper in the end. Especially if you are good with the top you have now besides the bow in it.

• Like 2

I agree. Just get one that is a similar color to the top and you won't notice it at all.

Yeah... Menards countertops all come with a lipped edge underneath and they can't tell me exactly how that lip will come. That's what's messing up the top now, its only supported by the edge of the counter top the whole way around, leaving the middle to bow... I think I need a new top regardless.

MIDWEEK UPDATE!!

I got some neoprene mat on order. I'll double up and add it underneath the tank, keeping the top as-is.

I also ordered a new carbon and sediment filter for my RO/DI. In the spring I'll order a new DI cartridge and possibly a new TFC membrane. How often should those be changed? I'll have had my unit for 2 years come spring. Making about 10 gallons of water every week for 2 years means I'll have gotten just over 1,000 gallons out of it (that doesn't include wastewater discarded...).

I have been listening to old episodes of ReefThreads podcasts at work lately. I came across one the other day where they insisted on buying new tank heaters every year. Oddly enough, one of my heaters seems to be going out and I bought a new heater for the 10 gallon tank 2 weeks ago. AND Nick cleaned out the furnace the other night but forgot to turn it back on afterwards! The house was down to 60 overnight, but my heaters kicked on and the tank temperatures didn't change one bit.

Does anyone else replace their heaters on a regular basis? I was thinking every other year is more likely to happen than ever year...

• Like 2

I remember reading it's a good idea to replace them every so often. I think every other year is more reasonable. Seems throwing out a working heater is pretty wasteful just because it might crap out at an inopportune time or get stuck on and nuke the tank. That's why having a controller is a good investment. Since getting a controller, I don't worry about my heater anymore..

• Like 5

I remember reading it's a good idea to replace them every so often. I think every other year is more reasonable. Seems throwing out a working heater is pretty wasteful just because it might crap out at an inopportune time or get stuck on and nuke the tank. That's why having a controller is a good investment. Since getting a controller, I don't worry about my heater anymore..

Then maybe what I'll do is work on getting the controllers first and just keeping one old spare heater. Then if the controllers tell me a heater is going out, I'll always have that spare handy! Temp controllers are on my wish list, that does make much more sense!

• Like 3

Good morning and happy Saturday!!

Sorry today’s “weekly” post is a day late! My boyfriend’s birthday was this past Wednesday, so we’ve been very busy the last few days. Today I am taking him to Medieval Times, and last night I planned a surprise dinner and drinks with two of our friends!! I’ve never planned a surprise get together, so I was very nervous I would ruin the surprise. We had a wonderful time!

I have also already received my Christmas gift! It is the newest version of my old point-and-shoot camera – a FujiFilm FinePix XP90. Its got 16MP, is also waterproof, shockproof, dustproof, has a 3in display, and did I mention it is waterproof!! :happydance:

So today’s photo shoot is extra special – I used my new camera UNDERWATER to take these pics. The fish did NOT like it, but I think I got some cool shots. I also apologize for only having a handful of pics, since the fish were getting agitated I didn’t want to take too long. Enjoy!

31551886765_04f3d2a088_z.jpg

30742547563_b16d7fb30f_z.jpg

30742542283_0264951cf9_z.jpg

30710853874_c2b87700dd_z.jpg

31551880555_74ba855341_z.jpg

• Like 14

Sorry today’s “weekly” post is a day late! My boyfriend’s birthday was this past Wednesday, so we’ve been very busy the last few days. Today I am taking him to Medieval Times, and last night I planned a surprise dinner and drinks with two of our friends!! I’ve never planned a surprise get together, so I was very nervous I would ruin the surprise. We had a wonderful time!

I have also already received my Christmas gift! It is the newest version of my old point-and-shoot camera – a FujiFilm FinePix XP90. Its got 16MP, is also waterproof, shockproof, dustproof, has a 3in display, and did I mention it is waterproof!! :happydance:

So today’s photo shoot is extra special – I used my new camera UNDERWATER to take these pics. The fish did NOT like it, but I think I got some cool shots. I also apologize for only having a handful of pics, since the fish were getting agitated I didn’t want to take too long. Enjoy!

Awesome pics kimberbee!!
  • Like 3

You should take some pics of your toes in the bathtub!

Nice tank shots......love the RFAs.

• Like 5

That's so cool. I didn't know they made water proof cameras. You're gonna have so much fun with that. I do have a waterproof camera bag for my cell. Your rfas look happy!

I got another Christmas present early... IT'S SO SPARKLY!!! omgomgomg:wub:

30775166913_f969f4febb_z.jpg

Oh my...it's gorgeous!!! Congratulations!!!!! Christmastime is such a magical time to get engaged. That's when my husband asked me too :happy:.

I'm so happy for you :happydance:.

• Like 2