inTank Media Baskets

Denitrators

Brokken

I have a two part question:

1. I recently set up my nano cube but left all the bio-balls and ceramic rings in there. I'm checking nitrate leves on my cube and they appear to be about 15 ppm/mg/L.

Is this a sign of things to come - the so called "Nitrate Spike" that people talk about if you leave the media in there?

Should I remove the medium even now and replace it with live rock? If so, all three chambers? Should I at least leave the sponge in there for mechanical filtration?

2. I saw this product on the web: http://www.aquaripure.com/

It is a denitrator which will remove N03 by using bacteria to break it down into N2. Has anyone used this product? If so, what do you think of it?

Thanks in advance.

For Berlin style reef system take all media out of the back of nano-cube except mechanical filter media which should be cleaned often. A bag of activated carbon will keep the water clear. Live rock in the tank area is the biological filter, and no other is needed. Add a small powerhead for added circulation. From what I have read, denitrifying resins are of little value.

It's not too late at this point in time to take out the bio-balls and ceramics and replace it with live rock? Also, how much live rock should I put in the back? I trust that it should be broken up into relatively small chunks, but now large should those chunks be? An inch? Two?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Brokken

It's not too late at this point in time to take out the bio-balls and ceramics and replace it with live rock? Also, how much live rock should I put in the back? I trust that it should be broken up into relatively small chunks, but now large should those chunks be? An inch? Two?

Thanks!

GO for it, do half at a time. LR rubble in the whole area where the bioballs, and media are, will make your filter that much more efficient. The problem with nitrates it that LR isn't a very good filter for removing them, hence the DSB craze. another suggestion would be a denitrator coil, but for a tank so small, I see it being more a pain than anything welse. Your best bet is to continue with WC on schedule, and perform them often.

Originally posted by birdman204

GO for it, do half at a time.  LR rubble in the whole area where the bioballs, and media are, will make your filter that much more efficient.  The problem with nitrates it that LR isn't a very good filter for removing them,  hence the DSB craze.

Does it all boil down to surface area for bacteria to grow? By taking out the bio-balls and replacing them with live rock, are you in fact just merely increasing the surface area where beneficial bacteria can take hold and do their job?

I'm still now clear how LR would help cut down on nitrates. Forgive my ignorance, but it is as important for me to understand the reasons why it works as it is to take actions.

Thanks!

Archived