ReefCleaners.org

Testing Vibrant Aquarium Cleaner: 1 Week Update

HarryPotter

I disagree. Those videos show what happens when you slowly start reducing PO4 and NO3 with bacteria and carbon dosing. It's crazy that this guy is making money off this. :) He even admits there is vinegar in it.

Here's the magic.

When you start dosing something on a regular basis you are paying attention to the tank, paying attention t how much you are feeding, and inadvertently fixing many of the issue that caused the problem in the first place. Add to that a product that can reduce NO3 and PO4 and you've got a miracle cure. Unfortunately he makes claims that go way beyond a simple bacteria dosing product.

The closest product I can think of similar to this is NP Bacto Balance http://www.tropic-marin-smartinfo.com/en/control/np-bacto-balance.htmlbut it comes as two products. With Vibrant the vinegar will kill any bacteria, at least that is my understanding, so anything left inside is just food for the vinegar.

According to them:

The vinegar is the preservative for the bacterias and the only reason why it is in the bottle. The small amount of vinegar in the bottle and the little amount dosed is doing nothing for stripping nutrients.

(Not arguing with you, just showing their response)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree. Those videos show what happens when you slowly start reducing PO4 and NO3 with bacteria and carbon dosing. It's crazy that this guy is making money off this. :) He even admits there is vinegar in it.

Here's the magic.

When you start dosing something on a regular basis you are paying attention to the tank, paying attention t how much you are feeding, and inadvertently fixing many of the issue that caused the problem in the first place. Add to that a product that can reduce NO3 and PO4 and you've got a miracle cure. Unfortunately he makes claims that go way beyond a simple bacteria dosing product.

Coming from a retail background, I'm not surprised this is making money at all. The moment you slap a shiny label and a specific purpose onto a product you can charge a lot more money for it.

I also yanked some info from the vibrant website.

"Vibrant Ingredients -

95% Cultured Bacteria Blend

1% Amino Acids (Aspartic Acid)

0.5% Vinegar

3.5% RO/DI Water"

Only .5% vinegar (Read .08fl oz or 2.36588ml in a 16oz bottle). Besides vinegar works right? So why not use it.

And I pulled this quote.

"Disclaimer -

Vibrant can be very deceiving. It can make your aquarium look so clean that you will think you can skip your regular routine aquarium maintenance of filter changes and water changes. We highly recommend that you do not skip this but that you use Vibrant in conjunction with your normal aquarium routine for a happy vibrant aquarium."

Its straight up admitted that basic maintenance is still required. So it's not being marketed as a black box miracle drug that makes it so you never have to touch the tank. It's also a product with easy dosing measurements. Heck you even admit it's basically the same as carbon dosing which we know works. How could this not sell?

I'm trying some now in my 10g tank. As far as the retail/marketing aspect goes, I agree, and futhermore they've picked the price point very well. An awful lot of people in this hobby (myself included) are more than willing to spend $20 on something that might work as advertised, however unlikely.

I always hesitate using products to reduce issues. MY first approach is maintenance and fixing the problem.

Unfortunately, sometimes no matter what we do we sometimes need help with products.

It will be nice to see valuable reviews on the product to see how safe and effective it really is.

So far 5 dead snails for me , 4 days after first dose :(

One golf ball sized turbo

4 Nass.

Hmmmm, I'll have to watch for that. I don't have a lot of snails in the 10g tank right now, the puffer seems to snack on them when I'm not looking.

I always hesitate using products to reduce issues. MY first approach is maintenance and fixing the problem.

Unfortunately, sometimes no matter what we do we sometimes need help with products.

It will be nice to see valuable reviews on the product to see how safe and effective it really is.

I agree, there are a lot of experienced reefers out there that have had a really tough time eliminating nuisance algae even with rigorous housekeeping - sometimes once something gets a foothold it can be really hard to eradicate without some special help.

I've been fighting hair algae on my sandbed.

I've done a lot of work but it still comes back. I'd gladly take the help of a product at this point but I want to use something thats safe as well as effective.

Like you said, once certain algaes get a foothold, its hard to get rid of it.

So far, I dont see any effect of Vibrant. Bubble algae is still there, dinos are still there, turf algae is still there, everything.

Here are some photos of the algae remaining. The only noticeable change is that the green turf algae has turned brown, like its dying off perhaps. I am not sure as of yet.

Snails are all dead.

Clam still has the same algae:

IMG_0053_zpsoahfficd.jpg

Weird algae on rocks, although it seems a little like its dying off?

IMG_0038_zpsv9tiakvs.jpg

Fuzzies:

IMG_0040_zpsmb2dd4sg.jpg

I'd happily trade the cost of a new snail bomb for an algae-free tank, if that's what it takes.

On the other hand, the increased bio-load from a bunch of snails dying could cause an algae bloom. Arrgh.

I'd happily trade the cost of a new snail bomb for an algae-free tank, if that's what it takes.

On the other hand, the increased bio-load from a bunch of snails dying could cause an algae bloom. Arrgh.

It's only been a week, maybe it'll work more with time

if it kills snails, it's probably bad for other inverts like shrimp and crabs too?

if it kills snails, it's probably bad for other inverts like shrimp and crabs too?

Shrimp, clams, my one straggler hermit from reefcleanrers all seem fine

some medicines tend to have more of an effect on snails. that dog dewormer - I forget the name but I should still have some.... OH panacur, killed my nerites when I was dealing with hydras in my fresh tanks.

So I am not the only one who got some nice bubble algae for free from them.

definitely not!! I got the motherload.

So far 5 dead snails for me , 4 days after first dose :(

One golf ball sized turbo

4 Nass.

:o

I'm not quite at one week, but I'm cautiously optimistic. The gha seems to be weaker and seems to be breaking up a bit. Every time I blow off the rocks it's like a little snowstorm.

I'm waiting to take pictures at the 1 week mark tomorrow, but I really do think it's improved since last week.

No dead snails that I can tell, but I don't have a lot in this tank anyway. But I've seen at least a few cruising around still.

Archived