SaltCritters.com

Vibrant Aquarium Cleaner

Sancho

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanksgiving at javajackets place. It's kinda half way....bring the rock :lol:

After checking your tank out have you checked you RO filters. I had this in the past with a weird breakout that just was hair pulling and ended up my base water had some weird readings. Water companies are putting some weird stuff in our water these days. Something to check.

Looks like a waste of beer money :lol:

You have won the Internet today in my book! Stopped reading this thread after that.

I always think to myself, if I buy this how many beers does this take out of my fridge or how much of my beer budget. You sir are a hero and I salute you!!!

You have won the Internet today in my book! Stopped reading this thread after that.

I always think to myself, if I buy this how many beers does this take out of my fridge or how much of my beer budget. You sir are a hero and I salute you!!!

:lol:

How goes the battle with the Mighty GHA? Still dosing vibrant?

Still dosing. I did a thorough manual cleaning of the rock and its not coming back as bad. Turned my UV sterilizer off. Since i turned the UV off the bubble tip went stringy again :huh: Starting to wonder if the UV bulb was actually putting off a spectrum that encourages algae growth and at the same time put unicorn dust into the tank to make bubbles on the GBTA again. I am convinced that this is a old tank syndrome issue. As it appears I don't take care of my tanks but i actually do. A fellow nano reefer was gracious enough to send me some new live rock.........reboot may happen this weekend :)

Still dosing. I did a thorough manual cleaning of the rock and its not coming back as bad. Turned my UV sterilizer off. Since i turned the UV off the bubble tip went stringy again :huh: Starting to wonder if the UV bulb was actually putting off a spectrum that encourages algae growth and at the same time put unicorn dust into the tank to make bubbles on the GBTA again. I am convinced that this is a old tank syndrome issue. As it appears I don't take care of my tanks but i actually do. A fellow nano reefer was gracious enough to send me some new live rock.........reboot may happen this weekend :)

I tend to avoid the many Vibrant threads, so missed your OTS issues. You may already be in reboot mode, but if not...

Here's a little light reading of what I do to keep my old 12g in good shape. My tank is not algae free, but it's minimal, slow growing and managed by my hermit crabs...and has been that way for a long time:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/327364-maintenance-and-the-nano-reef-tank/?hl=maintenance

Personally, I like to see older tanks brought back up to par without a 'reset'. It's often a tough challenge, but worthwhile IMO.

Either way, good luck!

Things are actually looking better today. Reboot may not happen for a couple weeks. Gonna put the new rock in a brute and try to seed it with some rock from my other tank that's not algae infested.

• 3 weeks later...

Things are actually looking better today. Reboot may not happen for a couple weeks. Gonna put the new rock in a brute and try to seed it with some rock from my other tank that's not algae infested.

Any update to this? I just ordered a bottle.

Sea_Of_Treachery

To me, this product is a last resort for someone who let their algae problems get way too out of control and became lazy. Don't skip corners and try to stick with natural methods. Algae is really not that hard to eradicate. Not directing this to anyone but most people these days rush rush rush, so impatient. Just my honest opinion. Noobs should not waste their money on this. A shame.

• 2 weeks later...

To me, this product is a last resort for someone who let their algae problems get way too out of control and became lazy. Don't skip corners and try to stick with natural methods. Algae is really not that hard to eradicate. Not directing this to anyone but most people these days rush rush rush, so impatient. Just my honest opinion. Noobs should not waste their money on this. A shame.

kinda disagree with you and agree at the same time. This is by no means a fix all. I dosed weekly I do maintenance regularly on my tanks. Vibrant had no affect on this tank. The idea is fantastic but I don't think it has any affect on old rock leaching phosphates. Taking this tank down to bare bones tonight as I've tried everything. The algae just keeps coming back. I had high hopes as none of the methods for ridding the tank of algae have worked.

I just did my second dose of vibrant in my 29 Biocube. So far no change (GHA and bubble algae) I think I am doing good maintainance. weekly 5 gal water changes. changing floss at least weekly, vacuuming the sand bed and back chambers, blowing off the rock surfaces, low bioload ( 2 fish) . I somewhat believe part of my issue is small tank related. I was told by several it is harder to maintain a nano vs a bigger tank. I am so trying to resist the urge to buy a bigger tank with a sump ( see my thread about going bigger and what to choose)

tmantaylor18

I dosed this stuff about almost a week ago in my 120 gallon reef. I had been battling light hair algae, diatoms, and a patch of the dreaded bryopsis. All of the algae other than the regular stuff that shows up on the glass is gone. I just double checked where the patch of bryopsis was and its completely gone! I keep up with my water changes but was having problems eradicating all of the algae. I'm not sure how this stuff worked for me so well but I felt I needed to chime in with my results.

What are your nutrient levels? I'm wondering if it only works in a high or low nutrient level tank.

I dosed this stuff about almost a week ago in my 120 gallon reef. I had been battling light hair algae, diatoms, and a patch of the dreaded bryopsis. All of the algae other than the regular stuff that shows up on the glass is gone. I just double checked where the patch of bryopsis was and its completely gone! I keep up with my water changes but was having problems eradicating all of the algae. I'm not sure how this stuff worked for me so well but I felt I needed to chime in with my results.

Vibrant didn't work for ANYTHING in my tank.

Not cyano, not hair algae, not bubble algae, nada.

Used double dose as they recommended for over a month- and nothing. Used chemiclean and in 1 dose the cyano is gone for two weeks now!

I've heard dinoX works well for Dino and algae.

As for me, ive had success with combination of daily peroxide, vodka, DIY coral snow and microbacter7. My tank has 20-25G water volume, and I dose 2-2.5mL peroxide, 1.5mL vodka, 3 mL of coral snow/mucrobacter7 at ratio of about 2:1. Hair algae turns white in a few days and can be blown off easily with a turkey Baster.

Vibrant didn't work for ANYTHING in my tank.

Not cyano, not hair algae, not bubble algae, nada.

Used double dose as they recommended for over a month- and nothing. Used chemiclean and in 1 dose the cyano is gone for two weeks now!

Archived