ReefCleaners.org

AIO insert review

Msouls1977

I bought an AIO insert for my 20 gal long about 6 months ago but just got it set up so I thought I'd post a review. The vendor was very helpful and the insert arrived quickly and in great condition. I really liked the idea of an AIO but wanted one longer than what is commercially available. The three chambers hold my filter pad and carbon in #1, my heater in #2, and my return, temp probe, and tunze osmolator in #3. Installing was fairly easy with no unexpected issues. I did have to cut some holes in the cover to accommodate cables but with better planning the vendor would have cut them for me. While it's only been 2 weeks I am very happy withe the unit. Having trouble uploading pics right now but will try again later.

Oceanbox Designs

I bought an AIO insert for my 20 gal long about 6 months ago but just got it set up so I thought I'd post a review. The vendor was very helpful and the insert arrived quickly and in great condition. I really liked the idea of an AIO but wanted one longer than what is commercially available. The three chambers hold my filter pad and carbon in #1, my heater in #2, and my return, temp probe, and tunze osmolator in #3. Installing was fairly easy with no unexpected issues. I did have to cut some holes in the cover to accommodate cables but with better planning the vendor would have cut them for me. While it's only been 2 weeks I am very happy withe the unit. Having trouble uploading pics right now but will try again later.

That's wonderful to hear that! I'm glad you got the tank up and running. Can't wait to see some pics of your tank. Best way to post pics is created a free Flickr account and click on the share icon on the picture and copy the "BBCode" and just paste it in here.

I, too, have an insert for the 20 long. Craftsmanship and communication from the vendor was absolutely outstanding. The only issue I think I am running into now is flow. 2 fish have perished since I started and I have not been able to determine if due to disease from LFS or poor oxygen flow. Ive been desperately trtying to search all weekend long references to read on the matter. Any help would be awesome!!

I, too, have an insert for the 20 long. Craftsmanship and communication from the vendor was absolutely outstanding. The only issue I think I am running into now is flow. 2 fish have perished since I started and I have not been able to determine if due to disease from LFS or poor oxygen flow. Ive been desperately trtying to search all weekend long references to read on the matter. Any help would be awesome!!

What punp are you running? Is your output getting surface agitation? Any additional powerheads? Typically aios do not over enough flow without an additional powerheads or two.

I am running the Eheim compact 600 ( as recommended) with max flow from the AIO output aimed at the surface. I am guessing ( hindsight is 20/20) at this point not enough flow even for my small tank. So now I am researching shopping for a powerhead and or skimmer that can increase flow and now take too much from the display area.

I am running the Eheim compact 600 ( as recommended) with max flow from the AIO output aimed at the surface. I am guessing ( hindsight is 20/20) at this point not enough flow even for my small tank. So now I am researching shopping for a powerhead and or skimmer that can increase flow and now take too much from the display area.

I like the jebao series. A wp10 works well in a 20L if you want high flow.

The koralia are quite popular too.

I would guess it is more likely disease or ammonia rather than oxygen content but it is difficult to know. How long was the tank set up before fish were added? How did you cycle?

Tank was set up approximately 2 weeks prior to fish. I cycled with live rock and Fritzzyme with the Marcos base rock I ordered. I noticed small spikes across the board testing wise and once I saw the nitrates I assumed that was my cycle ( due to pre-cured live rock and bacteria) and went from there.

Tank was set up approximately 2 weeks prior to fish. I cycled with live rock and Fritzzyme with the Marcos base rock I ordered. I noticed small spikes across the board testing wise and once I saw the nitrates I assumed that was my cycle ( due to pre-cured live rock and bacteria) and went from there.

Were ammonia and nitrite zero? How large and what type were the fish?
Oceanbox Designs

The AIO filter usually works best with just the right amount of flow, in this case in the 160-185GPH range, in order to reduce rapid clogging on the filter pad and preventing an overflow by-pass, meaning that the water overflow into the 2nd chamber before going through the 3 media racks.

For water movement, I'd suggest adding an RW-4 wave maker. It is a stronger than the older WP-10 model and more quiet. Not only the RW-4 can provide additional flow but it also create natural variable water movement in your tank so your corals aren't always get blown in the same direction all the time. My tank is setup with the same method pointing from the opposite end of the tank toward the AIO.

Fish death can be a number of different things from what I gathered and having my tank. If you bought your fishes from Petco (as I did) chances of disease like ich is likely very high so I learned it the hard way to QT them before I put them in my tank. It could be high nitrate spike, by that I mean a there is big difference nitrate level from the LFS vs your tank that could also be considered as a spike, not necessarily the nitrate level in your tank. If you didn't drip acclimate your fishes to match your water chemistry and temperature, it could cause them too much stress.

The AIO filter usually works best with just the right amount of flow, in this case in the 160-185GPH range, in order to reduce rapid clogging on the filter pad and preventing an overflow by-pass, meaning that the water overflow into the 2nd chamber before going through the 3 media racks.

For water movement, I'd suggest adding an RW-4 wave maker. It is a stronger than the older WP-10 model and more quiet. Not only the RW-4 can provide additional flow but it also create natural variable water movement in your tank so your corals aren't always get blown in the same direction all the time. My tank is setup with the same method pointing from the opposite end of the tank toward the AIO.

Fish death can be a number of different things from what I gathered and having my tank. If you bought your fishes from Petco (as I did) chances of disease like ich is likely very high so I learned it the hard way to QT them before I put them in my tank. It could be high nitrate spike, by that I mean a there is big difference nitrate level from the LFS vs your tank that could also be considered as a spike, not necessarily the nitrate level in your tank. If you didn't drip acclimate your fishes to match your water chemistry and temperature, it could cause them too much stress.

I can't make a direct comparison since I do not have both, but my understanding is that the rw-4 has a broader, less concentrated flow. I went with the wp10 on my 20L because I wanted to ensure I had adequate reach and the tighter pattern would accomplish that. The tank mostly flows in a circular/U pattern. I actually have mine on the same end as my filter (not aio), just to limit equipment on a Peninsula style tank. If the pump is on the opposite end a rw4 could be better.

Were ammonia and nitrite zero? How large and what type were the fish?

Nitrites 0 and Ammonia barely discernable between 0 ppm and.25 ppm ( Im not color blind but lamps in this room are warmer and after going to different light sources I decided between 0 and .25)

Fish were a skunk back pseduchromis and then a blue/green chromis

Archived