SaltCritters.com

BRS Pukani rock, apartment friendly cleaning method?

Halo_003

not as good, but you can soak in Vinegar(or bleach) to break down some of the surface organics.

Do you think doing muriatic acid in a bucket in a bath tub would be doable? Or would I have too many fumes for that to be safe/reasonable?

I :flower: Pukani

Vinegar works good and you can get a couple gallons for a few $.

Use mechanical means first though. Use a pick and stiff brush then a pressure washer or some sort of water pressure to get off all you can then go for the vinegar bath.

I actually boiled my live rock as a final step and the water looked like protein skimmer skimmate afterward... But I don't say that too loud around here because inevitably a bunch of replies will pop up to never, ever boil live rock because you'll poison yourself, your spouse, and your dogs with vaporized palytoxin. In my case I simply made sure there weren't any dead polyps on my 100% dead, dry rock and used adequate ventilation still. Honestly it's probably not necessary as some of that further die off will fuel the cycle for a bit so I don't recommend it to anyone - only stated what I did.

I had 30lbs of pukani and soaked in vinegar also. Soaked in about 7 gallons of water and 3 gallons of vinegar. Soaked for 24 hours or so then scrubbed again and washed really well. Then off to the rock bucket for 3 months or so to kind of cure. Just tossed it all into my tank and diatoms are here.......so far so good.

I think you will be fine with the vinegar in an apartment.

• 4 weeks later...

One word of caution with Pukani, you'll need LOTS of phosphate removal media for a month or so. I have 100 lbs cooking right now and it's still filthy with phosphates and it's been scrubbed and cooking for 4 months. I made the mistake of putting some right out of the box in my one system, lesson learned.

One word of caution with Pukani, you'll need LOTS of phosphate removal media for a month or so. I have 100 lbs cooking right now and it's still filthy with phosphates and it's been scrubbed and cooking for 4 months. I made the mistake of putting some right out of the box in my one system, lesson learned.

Mine was cooking for 3 months and all good. I did have some that was only in for a few weeks and it is actually doing great. Think I got lucky.........maybe you got some nasty shit.

I use BRS Pukani and got some huge hunks of rock. I did a muriatic acid bath that bubbled a lot of the dead organics right off. If you get bigger sized pieces, (unless you want that size/shape), I found it useful to crack them open with a hammer. It makes cleaning a lot easier, it's pretty shocking how much caked up debris is buried inside.

• 4 weeks later...
Okinawa_Reefer

I certainly hope my pukani doesn't take forever to cure. I guess only time will tell. I'm going to start curing mine within the next few days

Archived