Innovative Marine Aquariums

Cookie jar pico style

ABC

MedievalITGuy

One year ago I mixed s gallon of water for the shrimp tank, that gallon is about used up on water changes.

Lol, so in one year, you've gone through the same amount of water change volume as I do in one week on my pico :P

Of course I do nearly 100% water change on it, because the skunk cleaner and hermit crab are pretty messy.

The jar is 2 months old I haven't added anything new lately, but the animone did split. The one in the original spot is still doing fine the new one was wondering around the tank then just disappeared maybe it's hiding in a crack on the rock or something.

119nzm1.jpg

Very nice. Surprised it split that small!

I'm surprised it split too, but this type of nem will only get about 3/4 of an inch. They are not common in the aquarium hobby but they are local to where I live and live in inter tidal areas.

Pretty cool invert to have in a pico jar though

I'm surprised it split too, but this type of nem will only get about 3/4 of an inch. They are not common in the aquarium hobby but they are local to where I live and live in inter tidal areas.

Pretty cool invert to have in a pico jar though

So you are gonna share with everyone else in the nano hobby...right...RIGHT!

Haha jk. Awesome pickup and awesome tank/jar.

So you are gonna share with everyone else in the nano hobby...right...RIGHT!

Haha jk. Awesome pickup and awesome tank/jar.

Thanks if they keep splitting I may have to share

I saw that for sale in our lfs. How's yours doing? Im planning on adding those too. Do they usually move alot?

Mine have moved but not a lot, once happy they seem to stay put.
  • 1 month later...

I haven't done an update for because I have some algae that is becoming a nuisance. I can take care of it during weekly water changes but always come back by the next week. I think I am going to change out the fine sugar sand with something that is a little bigger grain that I can use the turkey baster on with out causing a sand storm. I do use H2O2 and it does kill the algae where I put it but it comes back after s few weeks. 

I hope this is just a phase and if will eventually work out. The anemones did split again so now there is three.

image.jpg

you might be able to save and reuse that sand once its rinsed this clean

if not, its easy to change out like you said. Your algae can be beated much easier by doing actual surgery on the rock...take them out and use a sharp kitchen knife tip to actually scrape/score away the algae from its holdfast areas. rinse that all off in clean sw, working around the anems and corals, until the rock is actually slightly damaged a little from the scoring, it will be 100% clean of algae at that point. coralline and corals can overgrow the cleaned areas in time, the rock will self repair from damage by new calcifiers laying claim to the area.

the peroxide is then spot applied to those cleaned spots, to catch leftovers and holdfasts the scoring missed. that will cut your algae work massively, as well as using stronger peroxide the next round if this one doesn't take as well.

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2017 at 8:27 AM, brandon429 said:

you might be able to save and reuse that sand once its rinsed this clean

if not, its easy to change out like you said. Your algae can be beated much easier by doing actual surgery on the rock...take them out and use a sharp kitchen knife tip to actually scrape/score away the algae from its holdfast areas. rinse that all off in clean sw, working around the anems and corals, until the rock is actually slightly damaged a little from the scoring, it will be 100% clean of algae at that point. coralline and corals can overgrow the cleaned areas in time, the rock will self repair from damage by new calcifiers laying claim to the area.

the peroxide is then spot applied to those cleaned spots, to catch leftovers and holdfasts the scoring missed. that will cut your algae work massively, as well as using stronger peroxide the next round if this one doesn't take as well.

Thanks for the tip Brandon, I did end up removing the algae though but I'm still fighting algae in a few spots it is getting better I am going to do an update soon

Time for a update,

i did remove all the sand it was sugar fine sand and algae would grow over it in just a few days so when I replace I will replace with courser material. 

The only mobile invertebrate in it is a trockus snail he is helping eat the algae it does seem to be getting better. 

I'm still doing weekly water changes during the water change I try to remove the algae every week I miss areas but I seem to be winning I think. With a small bowl it's hard to add a whole cleanup crew and a tang to eat the algae so I decided I have to be the predator to and work at removing it during weekly water changes.

I was using a coral compulsion bulb but it went, they are sending me a new one. So for now I'm using a kessil A160 I'm going to turn it all the way blue to see it that slows the algae growth down.. 

Other than the snail I have not added anything new I will wait and see if I can get this algae under control a little more.

image.jpg

Good call on taking out the sugar fine sand.  I had fine sand and I am pretty positive it contributed to my tank crash (think it got blown into some of the rics, irritated them into melting, and downhill from there). What are the bright green tentacle-y things on the rock?

Have you tried spot-treating with peroxide for the algae?

The bright green tentacle things are a type of anemone, they stay pretty small maybe 1" would be a big one. 

I have spot treated with H2O2 and it does help especially if you have a clean up crew that will eat the algae after treated, but it is not s cure all but another tool to help maintain it.

Archived