Innovative Marine Aquariums

Teto the 2 gallon cookie jar pico reef-new peacock anemone shrimps + experiment on fountain pump

HammerLover

sam_the_reefer

Bummer. :( But at least you're not giving up. :) I think Glenn has micro-zoas. Those would be awesome in small tanks like this. I'm thinking about setting up a jar tank like yours and do a micro zoa + ochtodes bonsai type thing....just saving up for the lights (PAR 30).

• Like 1

Im in th Philippines so I cant buy on international sites hmm but I'll find those micro zoas soon.

im thinking of making this jar filled with peaceful LPS that arent aggresive. Except fot the torch coral which will be placed on top, Im planning on making a ricordea yuma garden + zoa/palys and cyarina/blasto. If I can find some photosynthetic gorgs maybe I'll throw a small frag to add some variety.

For now Im doing a mini cycle and wilk be hopefully done next weekend. Im also searching for a more quieter airpump. Ang brands that you can suggest guys?

Thanks for the update, hope your reboot is quick.

I had hydroids in a different pico I had I never could get ride of them, I have heard high flow helps but I didn't try it I only had a little power head on it.

sam_the_reefer

Im in th Philippines so I cant buy on international sites hmm but I'll find those micro zoas soon.

im thinking of making this jar filled with peaceful LPS that arent aggresive. Except fot the torch coral which will be placed on top, Im planning on making a ricordea yuma garden + zoa/palys and cyarina/blasto. If I can find some photosynthetic gorgs maybe I'll throw a small frag to add some variety.

For now Im doing a mini cycle and wilk be hopefully done next weekend. Im also searching for a more quieter airpump. Ang brands that you can suggest guys?

Lol, pinoy ako. :P (But from Cebu) I think I saw your posts on the philSalt group. Glenn == Glenn Albert the zoa guy.

• Like 1

Cool! Cant believe that! Im Pinoy as well :D

Rafkiels is such a cool LFS very kind especially to regular customers.

I do know Glenn Albert, I had some zoas that I won in a raffle and I haven't got them yet :D

Too busy and I cant find time to get to his shop in Bacoor. Jar is still cycling now

I cant let go of the elegance guys hahahaha but I will only have one only

Jar is now finally back to normal. I think the eopxy I used had also a negative effect on the jar and it kind of leached some chemicals. The gsp was back in the jar as well as the zoas and acans. I found a hitchhiker that manage to survive the "cleansing" process to keep my jar free from pests but its just a harnless filter feeding worm-ish creature. I still havent bought an airpump so the jar is relying on a small pump for circulation. This weekend Im planning to bring back all of my corals in the jar since it has fully recovered from its rough ride treatment. Unfortunately the ricordeas were struggling due to the tank transfers and they dont look particulalrly happy but Im hoping they will rebeound and grow back.

This weekend will post some overdue updates pics. And thanks for the comment Pongpitz, your jar made me go for an elegance hahaha ;)

Here's the jar's latest update, pics will follow soon

Jar had recovered from the rough ride treatment and the corals survived. Despite the carnage my acan grew a new baby head. The epoxy did leached some chemicals that's why my water smelled a bit like plastic. After daily 20% water changes the water is fine. Jar is still relying now on a wavemaker for circulation but the airpump will arrive shortly.

Tank additions coming;

-purple elegance traded to dragon eyes zoa, I think a torch will smother the jar with its long sweepers

-undecided if green elegance will stay or trade to another zoa/coral

-new gatorade zoas coming!

-new airpump coming too :D

-my ricordea that was temporarily adopted attached itself to a colony of zoas(looks like watermelons). Zoa colony was given to me for a nice deal.

-finally decided to make my jar dsb (had only 1-2cm of sand inside)

Im expecting a diatom bloom if I will add a bit more sand though :/

Pics to follow this weekend ;)

Time for update pics!!

Iphone broke so Im back to old smartphone crappy pics. Its a pita but I managed to make decent shots in my corals.

Some updates;

-new airpump arrived :D

-new dragon eyes zoa (traded from my elegance)

-new gatorade zoas

-new rock with mixes local zoas

-xenia hopefully next week ;)

-if i can find some dragon's breath will add those as well

Some pics (excuse crappy old smartphone cam) :D

Here's my dragon eyes, still temperamental due to harsh dippings

bmDdnpH.jpg

Elegance still fluffy despite the carnage, reset and plastic smelling water

ayTmj0o.jpg

Gatorades opening up immediately despite dips. It has nice orange skirts, dark green centers and golden tips but my phone is too crappy now to see its nice pop

FEnJsru.jpg

As of now the jar is okay, but still stabilizing. I cant post an update full jat shot cause its way too blue or way too dark you cant see a thing. Once I've got my Dad's phone Ill post some update shots. But thats all the pics for now.

I also made my sandbed deeper at 3 inches. My jar is having some pH swings and the sand can be a good buffer and bio filter for the jar.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

OVERDUE UPDATES :lol:

-Temporary par38 light, a few days from now I'll receive my new lights that is customized for my jar. It was made by a local fellow reefer ;)

-Due to temporary par38 many corals got a shocked. My dragon eyes, ricordeas and some gatorade zoas suffered badly and melted. Fortunately a small colony of gatorades, orange green zoas and a single yellow ricordea survived the shock. Ive also added some protopalythoas, you can see it in the foreground part of my crappy FJS :P

The elegance survivor has morphed from purple green to a nice yellow green with purple tips :wub:

AFBAID6.jpg

Also added some glove polyps, cespitularia and clove polyps. Note itty bits of GSP underneath. The glove polyps werent opening much but the cespitularia was fine. The cloves were fragged from a mother colony so I expect them to open after a week or so.

SwYa0LX.jpg

And here's the crappy FJS, protopalythoas on the foreground :rolleyes:

sB3gyGS.jpg

• Like 6

It's looking really good,

Palys look nice I've been looking for some.

Thanks ABC! the paly is actually looking much better the longer it stays in the jar. Im noticing that its morphing like the elegance into a deep green color and its skirts are getting noticably longer since the front part of the jar receives laminar flow. When Ive got my new lights I'll be sure to acclimate the whole jar so I wont lose any corals from light burn haha.

Sounds good can't wait for new light

Thank you! Im excited as well! It will arrive 2 days from now, cant wait!

awesome! I love it.

Thank you!

My new lights arrived yesterday! My zoas and palys had the best coloration ever! My new lights is more pn blue and violet bulbs so my phone cam cant make out much. Time to use some camera.

I tried hard to take pics, here's my new sunflower zoa

sjJ9cKT.jpg

My implosion palys, they started producing babies!

Hx6zdky.jpg

Ive also got a blowpop zoa frag, orange clove polyps and blue cespitularia :D

• 2 weeks later...

Update pics!! Ive got lots of new palys and zoas!! Sir Glenn (the zoa guy) had the best frags ever and I am so so broke right now :'D

Here's a bird's eye view of my jar QuQ

KIrlcrN.jpg

My implosion palys were really taking off OwO they mustve love jar reefs haha

My green bay packers took a new morph as well,its the small colony with orange centers and green skirts.

The new zoa/palys Ive got are

-3 heads green people eater

-1 head red green people eater

-4 heads strawberry zoa

-1 head captain america paly

-5 heads watermelon zoa + 2 head freebie

-2 frag disks with 4 heads that I havent ID yet. Most of them were local zoas except the captain america paly haha. Gotta love local corals ;)

Ive also got baby long tentacle plates. They are very bleached in the LFS but now after 3 weeks they are slowly recovering and opening well :D

• Like 2

My struggling ricordea has finally settled :) its now opening well and looks very bubbly and bright orange. Cant wait to add more! Im thinking of making that rock as a ricordea yuma garden

vNaiIQt.jpg

The elegance coral and acan had to say goodbye though :'( i miss my elegance especially how it survived the carnge and morphed into a new color despite my rough treatment. I never thought of an elegance known to die easily survive that disaster, well at least its happily living in sir Glenn since I traded them for captain american paly and green/red people eaters. My next goal is to add sps around 5-6 months of my reef jar :D

Thanks also to Maritza (aka Mary) and Natalia la loca for the help and guidance you gave to me. All your pico systems have inspired me to start my very own and so far its going great!

• Like 1

You are most welcome :) Your jar is looking great.

My jar still needs alot of progress and improvements before it will look as awesome as your setups haha. And your bowl is looking really awesome, vibrant coral colors :wub:

I really love those rasta zoanthids I may need to find one soon :)

• Like 1

just an update pic :lol:

sazEptv.jpg

Ive moved my plates at the back since its getting smothered by the anthelia and I didnt want them to fight haha. My new zoas had babies especially my watermelon and sunflower zoas :wub:

Ive added a blastomussa frag its in the right part in this crappy phone shot e w e

A week or so Ill probably add some digitatas. And this weekend a local reefer will give me his zoas since he is quitting :closedeyes:

• Like 2