Cultivated Reef

New Aqua One Mini Reef 90

matt1977

Hey All,

I've just upgraded to a new New Aqua One Mini Reef 90 litre from an AIO Ocean Free Nano 63litre.

The transfer from old tank to new tank was fairly easy. I wished I documented it. In short, I transferred everything into the new New Aqua One Mini Reef 90 litre. All live rocks, corals, CUC, 50% of the substrate (cleaned with SW).

As the New Aqua One Mini Reef 90 litre has a sump, it took awhile to work everything out – but I got there at the end.

See attached of old tank (with lovely coralline!!)
post-81033-0-91024200-1475716119_thumb.jpg

New tanks set up (5 Hours old)
post-81033-0-04979700-1475716180_thumb.jpgpost-81033-0-15987200-1475717554_thumb.jpg

I'll take pictures of the sump section later – when I tidy it up :)

A few questions:

1. The sump came with an Aqua One Morray 2300 pump. For now its working ok - but it's not the quietest pump. I thinking of replacing it with the Eheim Compact+ 3000. Are there other pumps I should look that is powerful, efficient, quiet and with an adjustable output?

2. It also came with a Aqua One 224 Protein Skimmer. I am NOT using this as it's huge and I've read many bad reviews about it. I have, instead, just used my current Tunze Comline 9001 skimmer from the old tank. It's broken in and have tuned it to 'almost' dry skim. It's rated for up to 140 litres. Should I look for a bigger capacity skimmer? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

3. Sump question – the set came with a Durso 'esq' overflow. However the down pipe is a straight drop into the sump. I'm getting a lot of waterfall and gurgling noises. Should I modify: a) the pipe to have an elbow; and/or B) make the opening to be just underneath the waterline of the sump?

Thanks in advance...

As far as return pumps goes. Sicce pumps are dead silent, adjustable, and just plain awesome.

Thanks – Ill have a look at Synchras... I forgot about them...

Update: Watch video here.

Changed the pump to an Eheim Compact 1000

Ended up using my established Tunze comline 9001 skimmer

Extended return pipe to just above waterline. All good re noise.

• 1 month later...

An Update of my tank...

Everything is doing well after the transfer into the new 90 litre.

I re-started my dosing of Acropower. Colour of corals getting intense.

Nyos 120 Skimmer has broken in. Pulling dark skimate now... (picture shows skimmer after being cleaned)

Sydney will have a hot weekend with Friday going up to 36-38C, so I will re install my chiller with a PUMP > CHILLER > TANK configuration using my return pump. My intention is to set the chiller at 27C.

Added the last set of corals into the tank last week. An anenome, and a nice clump of a palm tree coral.

My naughty, bully clown has been back in the main display for 2 weeks... after spending 4 weeks in the sump. She is behaving well and has started suckling on the anemone. Im sure full hosting behaviour is not far off.

Pics:

post-81033-0-34925200-1479249333_thumb.jpg

post-81033-0-94297500-1479249321_thumb.jpg

post-81033-0-18718700-1479249344_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

Hey Matt,

Nice tank mate

I'm new to the marine setup myself and was for some advice...

I seem to be finding that there's quite a bit of noise coming from the sump of my aqua one 90L. Did you find the that your eheim pump made a difference in noise of noise and vibration? What is your feedback on the nyos skimmer - pretty quiet?

Thanks

Jeff

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi I have the same setup but looking at the filter weir section of the tank it looking really bad .. how do you keep it clean?  as access is really restricted 

Edited by Danielm
Added image
2 minutes ago, Danielm said:

Hi I have the same setup but looking at the filter weir section of the tank it looking really bad .. how do you keep it clean?  as access is really restricted 

FEF9A613-1813-4E6D-A619-E7DB1C624F2B.jpeg

• Like 1