inTank Media Baskets

seabass

So the Angelfish and Blenny are doing great (and eating like pigs), and visibly free of Ich.  Unfortunately, both clownfish are refusing to eat, but otherwise look alright.  They mouth food, but spit it back out.  Hyposalinity is now at a specific gravity of 1.012.  I will continue to increase it until the clownfish start eating again.  Tomorrow, I'll do a water change and attempt to increase the specific gravity to 1.013.  I'm hoping that will be enough.

• Like 5
Christopher Marks

Thanks for the update, here's hoping!

I admire your patience with this process, I never had luck in my attempts to fight ich. There's a much greater understanding of what works today, but what was true back in the day is still relevant today, the success stories with ich all seem to come down to removal from the reef and treatment in a quarantine tank. I put false hopes into garlic oil way back in the day and lost a beautiful purple tang :( 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, seabass said:

So the Angelfish and Blenny are doing great (and eating like pigs), and visibly free of Ich.  Unfortunately, both clownfish are refusing to eat, but otherwise look alright.  They mouth food, but spit it back out.  Hyposalinity is now at a specific gravity of 1.012.  I will continue to increase it until the clownfish start eating again.  Tomorrow, I'll do a water change and attempt to increase the specific gravity to 1.013.  I'm hoping that will be enough.

Get the clowns some clown eggs, they will eat then I bet..... :-(

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Thanks for the update, here's hoping!

I admire your patience with this process, I never had luck in my attempts to fight ich. There's a much greater understanding of what works today, but what was true back in the day is still relevant today, the success stories with ich all seem to come down to removal from the reef and treatment in a quarantine tank. I put false hopes into garlic oil way back in the day and lost a beautiful purple tang :( 

I had bought my store from an old Thai dude and he taught me many of his old school ways...hahaha...one of the funniest (and wisest) things he ever said was, "You wanna not have ich in your reef tank, then don't have fish in your reef tank!"

• Like 4
gone_PHiSHin
41 minutes ago, reef-luva said:

That Thai cat was using diatomaceous earth in mason jar like canister filters, looked like from the 50's/60's....

wow cool, we use DE to filter our beer (I work at a brewery) but I never even thought of it being used as an aquarium filter.  all I know is to wear a respirator when handling it!

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

wow cool, we use DE to filter our beer (I work at a brewery) but I never even thought of it being used as an aquarium filter.  all I know is to wear a respirator when handling it!

"... It is also used to filter water, particularly in the drinking water treatment process and in fish tanks, and other liquids, such as beer and wine. It can also filter syrups, sugar, and honey without removing or altering their color, taste, or nutritional properties."

...so says Wiki anyway...

• Like 1
gone_PHiSHin

I knew about water, beer, and wine...but not about sugar, syrup and honey.  or fish tanks!  

the whole concept of DE for filtration has always been strange to me, yet very interesting.  it is measured in microns, which is a thousandth of a millimeter.  they are fossilized remains of diatoms! 

• Like 2

Just to prove I'm older than dirt, I used to use DE in my Magnum canister filter on the trusty old 55g FW tank back in the day. It worked great for polishing the water but like any super fine filter media, it would clog up in a day or two.

• Like 2
RayWhisperer

http://www.pet-discount-supply.com/fish/vortex_diatom_canister_filters-vor00010.htm

Vortex D-1, thats your "mason jar" diatom filter. Still the same as when I first used one about 1983. Still a great polishing filter, way better than the Magnum was. I think you can still buy them. I know you can still get rebuild kits for them. I might have to dig through storage, see if I still have one.

• Like 3

I'm confident that they will start eating when the specific gravity goes up.  However, as I do this, so does the likelihood that Ich cysts will survive, hatch, and reinfect the fish.  This normally wouldn't worry me too much, because I plan to treat with ParaGuard anyway.  Unfortunately, I have a trip planned that would interrupt the ParaGuard treatments, so I am hoping they start eating before the specific gravity gets much higher.  Then I'll maintain the hyposalinity treatment until I return and start dosing ParaGuard.

• Like 3

Yeah, they really don't seem like they are in any distress.  The male is eating, but the female still isn't.  Luckily she has some fat reserves.  I'm thinking about getting some new frozen mysis to try to entice her.

• Like 9
11 hours ago, seabass said:

OK, so the frozen mysis where a hit.  Miss clownfish's belly is nice and full. :)

I have also had wonderful results with soaking mysis in SELCO Boost.  No fish can resist.  I have ecen had mandarins go after frozen mysis with that.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, seabass said:

OK, so the frozen mysis where a hit.  Miss clownfish's belly is nice and full. :)

Yay!! Glad to hear it worked. 

• Like 2