Cultivated Reef

seabass

She's swimming sideways, upside down, you name it - making pass after pass across the rock (with the male close by her side).  It's definitely going to happen tonight, but I'm not sure if they want the lights to go off.  However, I can't get any video with the lights out, so I'm waiting awhile longer.

• Like 3

Tank lights are out now, but I'm keeping the room lights on for a bit longer. I can still get pretty decent video with the room lights.

Barry White playing in the background.

• Like 8

It was more than 2 hours after the lights usually go out and still no eggs.  I wasn't sure if the lights, or I, was bothering her, so I shut off the room lights too.  However, instead of laying her eggs, they went to sleep. :mellow:  I still hope to find some eggs in the morning.

37 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

What kind of camera do you shoot with @seabass? I want to send you some spare batteries (for real), these updates are great :D

:lol:  I'm using a Canon S120; but even a spare battery wouldn't have helped tonight.  However, tomorrow I'll post some clips of the video that I did get (and maybe some pics of a new clutch).  We'll try again tomorrow if there are still no eggs.

• Like 1

I wish I could learn that lesson.  It's like the ultimate watched pot scenario.  I tried not to bother them, but I could be that they just don't like a chaperone.  I just hope she isn't having a problem due to her former ailment.

• Like 1

http://www.lpbj.net/southpark/tv-ma.gif

They carried on for hours.  This is exactly how they acted all the previous times they've spawned.

Unfortunately, they seem over it today.  The male is still cleaning the rock, but the female is acting like nothing is up.

• Like 6

I've decided to treat using hyposalinity.  I'll move the inverts and start treatment tomorrow.

A salt level of 16 ppt or approximately 1.009-1.010 specific gravity at 78-80 ° F for 14 days was reported to kill the parasite. I have never experienced problems when placing fish into a hyposalinity treatment, but have routinely witnessed fish showing obvious signs of distress when brought back to normal salinity levels too quickly. For that reason, I try to limit the specific gravity increase 0.001-0.002 points per day.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, seabass said:

I've decided to treat using hyposalinity.  I'll move the inverts and start treatment tomorrow.

I'm interested to see how that goes for you.  Sounds less stressful than copper, thats for sure.  I hate copper.  It makes me so paranoid...

• Like 1
12 hours ago, lkoechle said:

I'm interested to see how that goes for you.  Sounds less stressful than copper, thats for sure.  I hate copper.  It makes me so paranoid...

I agree.  Copper is hard on the fish and easy to overdose.  Plus, if it's too weak, it doesn't work; so lots of testing is required.  Also, you cant use it with sand or rock, so I'd have to move the fish to a new tank (without a top, so they could jump, and without an established biofilter).

Leaving the fish in their current tank (with biofilter) should prove to be less stressful (on me and the fish).  This is only possible because I currently don't have any corals in the tank and started with dry rock, versus live rock.   I'll post updates on how it's going.

• Like 5