Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

seabass

OK, off the topic of clownfish, but for those of you who want to do battle with lightsabers, here you go.

010517a.jpg

These flashlights (3 pack: red, green, and white) fit perfectly inside a piece of 1" PVC pipe. They even clip on the end. You could put some electrical tape (or hockey tape) around the clip to make a handle for your lightsaber. Blue LED flashlights are also available at Amazon. A PVC endcap could be put on the open end (to prevent it from being shined in someone's eye), but isn't required to get the effect.

I'm not sure about the durability of the lights, but PVC pipe can take a pretty good beating. Should make for several hours of fun for Jedi Masters. You can be the judge of how old they should be to duel with PVC pipes. :unsure:

You can use longer pipes than what I've pictured. The effect is pretty good in a darkened room (much better than I can get a picture of).

• Like 7

That might depend on my blenny. It tends to sit (and sleep) in holes in that rock. I'll only move the rock if the blenny isn't in it.

Edit: Looks like that rock is a bit too big for my new little 10 gallon hatch tank.

011117a.jpg

Looks like I'm going to have to use the lightsaber. May the Force be with you.

• Like 4

Still waiting. I've shut off the pump, but have added an air stone. This tends to scare the adults away. Maybe it will buy me enough time when they hatch. :unsure:

I just can't seem to sit in the dark for 12 hours, so I'm checking on them about every half hour. Time to check on them again. I'm not sure if this is going to work, but it's tonight's plan.

• Like 4

Still just the one. These guys are sure stubborn. I'm sure if I fall asleep, the rest will hatch. :(

Assuming you fell asleep. One is better than none :)

• Like 1

Finley II!

:)

News this morning?

I did get a little sleep (not much). I haven't found any additional larvae. However, it appears as though there still are unhatched eggs. At day 10, I can't imagine that it will be yet another day.

Up to a couple of days ago, I had been using a stupid preset heater, and the cooler temperature has delayed the hatching this long. One problem that I've read about late hatches, is the food in their egg sack is almost entirely used up.

I'm still hopeful that the remaining eggs will hatch this morning. I'm thinking that the next time I do this, I'm just going to bed and waking up at a regular time, then start checking on them.

• Like 3

Here's what happened. I monitored the clutch all night, but I only saw and captured one larva. However, the other eggs did not hatch. This afternoon, I removed the air stone and turned the lights back on. The parents then proceeded to rapidly devour the remaining eggs:

Previously, I had always assumed that the majority of the eggs hatched and the larvae was eaten. Now I'm wondering if only a few of the eggs ever hatched, and the unhatched eggs are just consumed by the parents. That might explain why I'm having such a hard time on hatch night. Now my question is why do I have such a poor hatch percentage?

but you have one right?!

Yes, Sydney seems to be doing fine. I've added greenwater and rotifers to his tank, so I hope he's finding food.

• Like 6

Fingers crossed for Sudney! We had a cat named Sydney - found him tied to a railing at the school where I taught, tiny, all bones and 1 eye closed. Vet thought he was only 3 to 4 weeks old and was doubtful he would survive. He lived to be 15.5, finally lost him to complications from diabetes. Hope Sydney will pass on the survival karma to his namesake!

• Like 2