Coral Vue Hydros

seabass

Even though I don't believe they are ready, (since they hatched on day 8 last time) I had shut off the pumps and have been checking them tonight. But still nothing, so I've turned the pumps back on.

I wouldn't really consider myself ready. My phyto culture could use some more time, which would sure help my rotifer culture. I feel like I'd be rushing it by trying to save this clutch; however, I'd still like to try.

Cencalfishguy56

Even though I don't believe they are ready, (since they hatched on day 8 last time) I had shut off the pumps and have been checking them tonight. But still nothing, so I've turned the pumps back on.

I wouldn't really consider myself ready. My phyto culture could use some more time, which would sure help my rotifer culture. I feel like I'd be rushing it by trying to save this clutch; however, I'd still like to try.

why not move the entire rock over to the 20 gallon tank you are using?

I would, if I actually thought they were ready to hatch tonight. I'm going to check one more time before I get some sleep. I'll move the rock tomorrow night if they don't hatch tonight.

But somehow I think that having the male fan the eggs would be better than trying to accomplish the same with an airstone. That, and there is an anemone on that rock. So my preference is to let them hatch and siphon them out.

Cencalfishguy56

I would, if I actually thought they were ready to hatch tonight. I'm going to check one more time before I get some sleep. I'll move the rock tomorrow night if they don't hatch tonight.

But somehow I think that having the male fan the eggs would be better than trying to accomplish the same with an airstone. That, and there is an anemone on that rock. So my preference is to let them hatch and siphon them out.

sounds like a solid plan, hope they don't hatch over night like last time
  • Like 1

OK, I suck. They hatched last night, and I missed it again.

I'll use this time to improve my cultures and clean the main tank. However, I don't believe I'll have time to raise any fry until later in December. Hopefully, I'll be ready.

Wow :( You will get this down Seabass.

Like u said, U want to get the Phyto and Rotifers up to speed.

U have quite a few folks encouraging you. Don't feel bad

ur still learning this. :)

• Like 2

:lol: Thanks!

I think next time, I'm pulling the rock after an hour.

Looking through the pics from yesterday, I didn't see reflective silver eyes. So I thought maybe they weren't ready. However, FYI, the eyes seemed reflective when shining the flashlight on them. I'll have to use that as a visual cue in the future.

• Like 2

Phyto culture:
102716a.jpg

More eggs:

I don't plan on taking pics everyday this time (but I'll still post a couple). Also, I have a trip planned so I'm not sure if I'm going to try to save them this time or not (still trying to decide). :unsure:
  • Like 4

I've never seen a female so new to laying do it as often as yours. Usually when new to it, they take a month or two between clutches. Not a few days.

Chances are, they are going to be small clutches until she gets her rythym down. If it were me, I'd wait until then to worry about raising them.

• Like 2

I've never seen a female so new to laying do it as often as yours. Usually when new to it, they take a month or two between clutches. Not a few days.

I kind of feel sorry for the male; he works so hard attending to them. IDK, maybe he feels lucky, but I'm sure he could use a break.

I keep meaning to clean the tank, but then there always seems to be another clutch. I'll have to be quicker.

• Like 1

The male doesn't know any different. He just does what nature tells him to. Once they get used to spawning regularly, they won't stop eating, or anything like that. It'll just be business as usual, but with a bit more aggression.

• Like 2

The male doesn't know any different. He just does what nature tells him to. Once they get used to spawning regularly, they won't stop eating, or anything like that. It'll just be business as usual, but with a bit more aggression.

I was curious about the Male and getting the Nutrition and energy needed to be such an attentive Dad.

That is so cool. Like u said, Nature knows best.

• Like 1

I hope the male eats this time. He has got to be hungry.

It was only the first couple of days, of the first clutch, that he refused to eat anything. It's what really got my attention to look for the eggs. But now the male has been eating every day.

However, when there are eggs, he will quickly grab some food and promptly return to the clutch (while the other fish, including the female, continue to gorge themselves). I've been feeding a little more than usual so that the male has more of an opportunity to eat. I'm doing this partly for the male, and partly to support the health of the female. However, that really isn't helping the fact that I've ignored maintenance for awhile.