Innovative Marine Aquariums

seabass

You could always make the 100 a clown harem tank if all goes well!

I've thought about it. That would be awesome. But 30+ clownfish can generate a lot of nutrient waste. I'm not sure I'd be up to the task.

• Like 1

I just setup the lights to go out at 8:30 PM CDT. So I'll shut down the pumps at 8 PM and be ready to transfer them at 9 PM.

There is an anemone on that rock, so I think I'm going to try and leave the rock. I might lose more doing this, but I'm not confident that I'll have enough food for them all anyway.

• Like 1

Airline tubing (to siphon them into a 5 gallon bucket), is ready. Flashlight (to attract them to the surface), with fresh batteries, is ready. 20L hatch tank, cleaned and ready (with air pump, air stone, and heater). Camera is ready.

• Like 7

Thanks everyone! I'm mostly worried about the rotifers. Anyways, I hope to catch some of it digitally; but I'm not really sure how much light I can use.

• Like 1

I was setting up my camera (about an hour ago) and realized that I forgot to charge my camera battery. :( However, I think it will have enough time to charge.

Also, I got my replacement water made up. Apparently, I've let the specific gravity of the display tank drop to 1.021. I don't think that's going to be an issue, but I thought I'd make note of it.

• Like 2

The camera charged in time. :) However, it's just too dark to get any video, or even a pic.

It's been 35 minutes and they still haven't hatched. I'm just waiting now. IDK, maybe it isn't going to happen tonight.

• Like 2

I'm not sure if I shined my flashlight on them too early or what. I just checked on them, and they are still on the rock. I'm going to give it another half hour and then (if nothing has changed) turn the pumps back on.

Dont be overly surprised if they do hatch overnight after you think its been long enough.

ln my years breeding l found they never do what you expected. At 80 degrees they hatch on day 8 typically but a lower temp can delay it a day or two. lve had to wait hours with no flow before they start hatching before. Good Luck with everything

• Like 2

Dont be overly surprised if they do hatch overnight after you think its been long enough.

ln my years breeding l found they never do what you expected. At 80 degrees they hatch on day 8 typically but a lower temp can delay it a day or two. lve had to wait hours with no flow before they start hatching before. Good Luck with everything

Thanks malachai! Yeah, it's like 79°F. Here's what they look like tonight:

101216b.jpg

Still nothing. I'll keep checking awhile longer.

• Like 7

I could definitely see reflective eyes in the pics, but maybe they still weren't far enough along. I kept checking on them to the 4 hour mark, but nothing (so I got some sleep). I woke up (at 8 hours) and checked on them again, still nothing. Sorry for the anticlimactic ending to day 8, it looks like their birthday will be today (on day 9).

• Like 4

I agree, it's pretty exciting. Here was me last night: omgomgomg

So do you siphon them after they hatch or just before?

After.

"When the eggs get a silver color, they will hatch that night. You will notice that each egg has a silver, reflective eye. This means that when the lights go out they will hatch. You must remove the clownfish fry from the tank and put them into the fry tank. To do this, turn off every filter and pump in the tank. There must be no current or flow in the tank. Once the lights have gone off, wait about 30 minutes and shine a bright flashlight into the water. A mag light works great. Do not shine the light directly at the eggs, this will delay the hatching process. The clownfish will be attracted to the light and swim towards it. Start a siphon with airline tubing and begin siphoning the clownfish fry into a bucket". - A Step by Step Guide to Breeding Clownfish

You were right, malachai. They hatched sometime between 5 AM and noon. I can't find any. This is whats left.

Day 9:

101316a.jpg