Top Shelf Aquatics

seabass

Both of the clownfishes are doing well; in fact, all of the fish seem to be doing well.  I hate to admit that I haven't gotten the specific gravity back up to normal yet (it's currently just above 1.018).  I've been out of town a few times and I haven't been working on raising it up a whole lot.  When home, I've been topping off with saltwater.  But it's amazing how slowly specific gravity raises by just topping off with saltwater.  I hope to be doing some larger water changes soon.

As far as mating behavior, the male still cleans the nesting spot.  And occasionally, the female seems interested too.  I figure the low salinity has something to do with them not breeding.  Anyways, I'm still culturing the rotifers and phyto (just in case).

• Like 2
Christopher Marks

I'm glad they're doing well, they must be enjoying a summer break as well! I've loved following the process, just checking in :) 

That definitely makes sense that the hypo salinity would discourage spawning, perhaps once it gets closer to normal SG.

• Thanks 1

The phyto culture got contaminated with something.  It could have been rotifers, but they didn't really look like rotifers (it's hard to tell since they are so small).  IDK, insect larvae?  Anyway, one of the cultures was clear (no green to it), and the other was light green.

I dumped the clear culture and filtered the light culture through a 25 micron screen (twice).  The sieve clogs pretty fast, so this isn't as easy as pouring it through the sieve (probably took me 15 or 20 minutes).  You can use a coffee filter, but they clog even faster.

Anyway, here is the culture today.  It's darkening up, so I hope that I won't be having any more problems.

080617f.jpg

• Like 4

I'm totally slacking.  Specific gravity is now 1.020.  I'm hoping to get it up high enough to transfer over a cleanup crew and some macroalgae.  Maybe I can muster up enough energy to scrape the algae off my 20L's intake and transfer it to this tank.  ;)

080617b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • 2 weeks later...

The specific gravity is now 1.022.  I've moved the PVC fitting that I have for my angelfish.  However, my clownfish have taken a liking to it.  It looks like they have a new nest site.  I'm a little worried that if they do lay eggs, that they will violently defend it.  The angelfish doesn't sleep in the fitting, but likes to hide in it when she gets scared.

• Like 7

I can.  But I just finally hid that one behind a rock, so the tank looks normal.  We'll see; if there are any problems, I'll get another 4" fitting for her.

• Like 2

So I should have taken a picture of it.  But one of the trouble lights I was using (you can see them in some of the pictures), melted and shorted out.  I'm lucky it didn't start a fire.  Now I'm just using a typical daylight LED light bulb (60W equiv).  Seems a little safer.

Anyway, yeah, the phyto culture seems to be back on track.  I was afraid I'd have to buy another culture.  However, I haven't checked the rotifer culture lately.  But today, I added some phyto (the rotifer water was basically clear).  I'll check the culture this weekend.  I'm not expecting a lot of rotifers, but just hoping there are some.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Just a quick update on the clownfish.  I removed the PVC fitting, and raised the specific gravity back to normal again.  The clownfish are eating well and have rediscovered their nesting rock.  I'm not sure if she is able to lay eggs after she was unable to lay her last clutch.  Although they both seem willing and ready to try again.  Here's what they pretty much do all day, when they are not begging for food.

I'm really hoping she is able to lay more eggs.

• Like 6
45 minutes ago, seabass said:

Just a quick update on the clownfish.  I removed the PVC fitting, and raised the specific gravity back to normal again.  The clownfish are eating well and have rediscovered their nesting rock.  I'm not sure if she is able to lay eggs after she was unable to lay her last clutch.  Although they both seem willing and ready to try again.  Here's what they pretty much do all day, when they are not begging for food.

I'm really hoping she is able to lay more eggs.

Clownfish are looking great seabass! Looks like they are getting ready to try laying some eggs as they look to be getting the rock cleaned off a bit in the video. If you are worried about your clowns getting violent after laying eggs mine have always been pretty chill while nesting. My tang swims right underneath their egg patch without even a glimpse from the clowns and my blenny used to sleep with them even while they were nesting. Best of luck with the clowns.

• Thanks 1

I want so bad to check on them, but I told myself that I wouldn't bother them tonight.  I'm just going to check on them in the morning.  I think there's a chance, but it's been awhile, so I'm not counting on it.

• Like 3

Well shoot.  I just checked and no eggs last night. :(  I'll monitor them later today.  Maybe I'll shoot another video.  I find it fascinating when they start going through their mock fertilization runs.  I realize that with the problems she had last time (when she couldn't lay her eggs and stopped eating), that she might not be capable of laying another clutch.  Still hoping though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • 3 weeks later...