seabass

Clownfish eggs

611 posts in this topic

The specific gravity is currently at 1.013 (a tad bit higher than the 1.012 which is typically noted at the high end range for hyposalinity).  I'm going to try to keep it around here until I get back from my upcoming trip.  Then I'll start the ParaGuard treatments as a precaution.

Keeping that in mind, it is best for Seahorse keepers to make their target salinity 1.011-1.012 to allow a margin for error, and to transfer their ponies to a hospital tank while they drop the salinity in the main tank.  That way, no harm will be done if the hobbyist accidentally takes the salinity down too far in their main tank before readjusting it and hitting your target salinity. And when you return the seahorses from normal salinity in the hospital tank to the main tank at 1.011-1.012, the parasites will be subjected to the greatest possible osmotic shock, leaving them no chance at all to adjust to change in osmotic pressure.

The same precautions recommended for seahorses also apply to most species of clownfish (Amphiprion spp.).  Some Clownfish cannot tolerate freshwater dips, and these clowns should be treated in the same manner as Seahorses when administering hyposalinity to be safe.

source: http://wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_4/V4I4/hyposalinity/OST.htm

2 people like this

That is great news! Thanks for the update. Do you have someone to watch the tank for your trip?

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, debbeach13 said:

Do you have someone to watch the tank for your trip?

Yeah, but I don't want them dosing Paraguard.  It'll be a short trip; however, since I don't want to start, stop, and restart ParaGuard treatments (which get dosed everyday), I'll wait until I get back.

1 person likes this

I didn't think a tank sitter would start dosing. It is good piece of mind to have someone checking on the equipment and livestock when you take a trip.

2 people like this

I  know, I was just conveying my plans.  I don't trust tank sitters to do much, basically just check on water levels.  I typically setup an auto-feeder, but I've also had tank sitters feed premeasured portions of dry food.

I'm hoping my clownfish start accepting flake again (since I won't make the sitter feed frozen).  If they are still just eating frozen mysis, they'll have to go without until I get back.  I'll still auto-feed flake for the angelfish and blenny (and clownfish if they decide they want any).

It was funny watching how aggressive the female went after the mysis.  The angelfish had been enjoying the competition free feedings.

4 people like this

Yay! We were all so worried about our mama!

2 people like this

I too am relieved to hear the she is eating well :)  Keep up ur great work :)

1 person likes this

Hey, Seabass. I don't care that your clown is eating.:D

1 person likes this

:mellow:

:lol:

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

Hey, Seabass. I don't care that your clown is eating.:D

meanie!

3 people like this

5 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

meanie!