SaltCritters.com

seabass

She hasn't had another clutch ever since she became egg bound in January.  Then of course I had her in hyposalinity for awhile to combat Ich.  She just recently started acting like she is ready for another clutch.  The video shows what they've been doing.  Then the next day they act like nothing is up.  I hope it's a prelude to them breeding again.

On a side note.  I got another jar (just like my contest jar) to raise fry, should they ever decide to breed again.

• Like 5
BustytheSnowMaam

Good luck with everything, fingers crossed for success.  I found this picture I thought you'd like- all the babies looking up at papa.  

clown with eggs.jpg

• Like 10
  • Haha 1
  • 6 months later...

Thanks!  They are doing great.  I'm pretty sure that she is no longer physically capable of laying more eggs. :mellow:  I think that when she was egg bound (a year ago) and couldn't lay them, something got damaged.  However, she appears perfectly healthy otherwise; and occasionally, they go through their mating preparation behaviors (obsessively cleaning the rock, and even making passes over the rock, like they were laying and fertilizing eggs).  She's also pretty old (I'm guessing around 10 years old).  IDK, maybe she's too old.

I got them a BTA to play in.  The male sleeps in it, but the female sleeps in her usual corner.  Once the lights come on, the female joins the male.  She will occasionally swim around the tank, but the male is almost always in the nem.  Maybe I'll take a quick video later.

• Like 7
Christopher Marks

Aww poor gal! Glad to hear they're both healthy and happy otherwise! 10 years old is amazing.

I'd love to see a video of them with the new anemone. There's few things happier than a clownfish in an anemone 😄

• Like 3
2 hours ago, seabass said:

Thanks!  They are doing great.  I'm pretty sure that she is no longer physically capable of laying more eggs. :mellow:  I think that when she was egg bound (a year ago) and couldn't lay them, something got damaged.  However, she appears perfectly healthy otherwise; and occasionally, they go through their mating preparation behaviors (obsessively cleaning the rock, and even making passes over the rock, like they were laying and fertilizing eggs).  She's also pretty old (I'm guessing around 10 years old).  IDK, maybe she's too old.

I got them a BTA to play in.  The male sleeps in it, but the female sleeps in her usual corner.  Once the lights come on, the female joins the male.  She will occasionally swim around the tank, but the male is almost always in the nem.  Maybe I'll take a quick video later.

She went through “the change”. 😅

• Haha 3
4 hours ago, seabass said:

Those clowns remind me how beautiful just normal colored clowns really are when mature. :wub:

• Like 1

I agree Tamberav, and thanks. :smilie:

Sorry, didn't clean the tank for this, but this it what my 100 gallon usually looks like.  There's a quick pan at the end of the video.

• Like 4
This guy is extra salty
On 10/5/2016 at 8:03 PM, seabass said:

OK, so this might not be the right forum, and I haven't done my research yet , but here goes.

Day 1:
100516a.jpg

The clutch is currently in a 100 gallon tank with sump. Flow is very slow (just the return, and less than 10 times turnover). The only other fish (besides the parents) in the tank is a bicolor blenny. I have a number of questions:

• All I have for food (that might be suitable) is Coral Frenzy; would this be enough, or do I need rotifers?
  • Should I grind the Coral Frenzy up further with a mortar and pestel?
  • Should I remove the rock and put it in a 20L with an airstone, or leave it be in the 100 gallon and just transfer the fry?
  • Or is it just unrealistic to think that I can save some?

Any help would be appreciated. I'll do a little research in the meantime. I'm currently reading this: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/269202-pickles-guide-to-breeding-clowns/

I’m so jelly I want my little orcas to spawn!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, seabass said:

I agree Tamberav, and thanks. :smilie:

Sorry, didn't clean the tank for this, but this it what my 100 gallon usually looks like.  There's a quick pan at the end of the video.

That tank is so clean and bright....... I love it. 😊

• Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...

I realize that this is an old thread.  However, I have something unexpected to report:

Not the greatest video.  The acrylic hasn't been cleaned in several months, and they are in the back corner of the tank.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

That’s awesome! Quite unexpected based on your last report as I remember. Will you try to hatch them? 

My pair has been acting so weird...they hardly come out of their flower pot - even to eat, and they are always tending to the pot but there are no eggs like that. 

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Will you try to hatch them?

I'll try.  I can't monitor them properly in this location, so it might not be possible to predict the hatch night.  We'll see.

• Like 3

omgomgomg  Oh no, I just remembered, I don't currently have a rotifer culture.  IDK, I have motile phytoplankton, which they might eat. :unsure:

I'll order a rotifer culture and maybe I can get it going.  It's been so long, I feel like I'm going to have to read this thread to refresh my memory.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, SeaFurn said:

How long do you think it will take to hatch?

Hmm...  It's usually a bit over a week; but I'm not sure how long it's been already.

• Like 2
This guy is extra salty
On 5/26/2018 at 8:20 AM, seabass said:

Oh... I forgot about this tank. :lol:

012316a.jpg

I was going to ask why you have a picture of my 160? 🤣how did you remove or eradicate the gha?

• Haha 2
12 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

how did you remove or eradicate the gha?

If I recall correctly, it was more than just typical hair algae (even though that's what you see the most of).  Snails wouldn't eat it and the holdfasts were deep in the porous rock.  After manual removal and several peroxide treatments, I gave up and broke up the rock, keeping the corals and anemones and tossing the resulting rubble.

• Like 1