Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

seabass

I'm glad the rotifers came in before the eggs hatched. What a relief!

Thanks, but I'm still not sure that it is soon enough.

"You should have your rotifers at least a week before the clownfish hatch to get the numbers up to the proper amount. Do not take any rotifers in the first 3-4 days that you have them. This will allow them to reproduce up to a high count". - A Step by Step Guide to Breeding Clownfish

I've also underestimated the amount of greenwater I'm going to need.

• Like 1

Judging by the looks of them, I'd guess tomorrow night, or the next.

You aren't making your own greenwater? If you didn't use all you got, start some. Mix up another bucket of SW at 1.019 or 1.020, put a pinch of fertilizer in (miracle grow works great and it's cheap), set a bubbler in at about 1 to 2 bubbles a second. Add some of your greenwater, and light it for 15-18 hrs a day. Pretty much any light will work. When I did it, I used a 40 watt shop light over 4 buckets. This will make for rotifers high in phosphates. If you are worried about that, use something other than miraclegrow. I've never used anything else, so I wouldn't know what to suggest.

You'll need to split that bucket into 2 after it greens up. I never replaced water until I used 1/2 the bucket. Then I'd refill it with SW and another pinch of fertilizer.

Just so you know. I've never cultured rotifers. I used the above for brine shrimp. I'm fairly sure it's the same for rotifers, but you might want to make sure.

• Like 1

Thanks again Ray. I got two more bottles (twice the size) coming, so I'll monitor how quickly I go through it. But you're right, it would make sense to grow it myself.

Day 8:

101216a.jpg

You can see silver eyes on many of them. I'm told that that's the sign to look for. So maybe tonight's the night.

Question) Do all of them always hatch on the same night, or can some take another day?

• Like 3
RIP Sebastian

Day 8:

101216a.jpg

You can see silver eyes on many of them. I'm told that that's the sign to look for. So maybe tonight's the night.

Question) Do all of them always hatch on the same night, or can some take another day?

From what I've heard, they all hatch together.

Nick

• Like 1

Thanks Nick! I'm off to setup a hatch tank for the fry. I'll use tank water so there is no difference in parameters.

I still haven't decided if I should pull the rock, or siphon them out (although I'm kind of leaning towards pulling the rock). I've read you can put the rock in a bag, and transfer it while still in the water (so they aren't exposed to air).

• Like 1

From what I understand, you can buy a breeding pair (which is different than a mated or bonded pair). Otherwise, it's typically more a matter of time (often years) before bonded pairs will start to breed. I suppose that environment has something to do with it (like do you have a clean spot that they can use). But I can assure you, I've done nothing extraordinary to facilitate it. However, I've had this pair for years (sorry, I can't remember exactly how long it's been).

flatlandreefer

From what I understand, you can buy a breeding pair (which is different than a mated or bonded pair). Otherwise, it's typically more a matter of time (often years) before bonded pairs will start to breed. I suppose that environment has something to do with it (like do you have a clean spot that they can use). But I can assure you, I've done nothing extraordinary to facilitate it. However, I've had this pair for years (sorry, I can't remember exactly how long it's been).

Is the pair in a display that you have had them in for a while and just happened to notice that they had a clutch of eggs or did you put them in this tank specifically to breed? How are the rotifers coming?

• Like 1

Is the pair in a display that you have had them in for a while and just happened to notice that they had a clutch of eggs or did you put them in this tank specifically to breed? How are the rotifers coming?

A few months ago I moved them from a 40B to a 100 gallon. Then the male started clearing sand away from one corner of the tank for the last couple of months. This was a new behavior (although the 40B was bare bottom for a couple of years). Recently, he started directing his attention to this particular area of this particular rock.

Due to the timing, I wouldn't rule out the new tank as a catalyst for breeding. But that wasn't my intention. I noticed the clutch when the male refused to leave this rock (not even to eat). He's been glued to it ever since.

I'm really not sure how the rotifers are coming. My thought is that it hasn't been long enough to build up proper numbers. Still, I think I'm going to try anyway. The alternative is losing them all anyway.

• Like 2

Do u think that the move to the 100 gallon tank caused the clowns to have a clutch because of the increased area?

I mean, u have had them in a 40B for at least a little while..I am just curious about this.

I feel the 40B was large enough, so I don't feel that was it. However, the rocks are a lot different (cleaner). If anything, I'd put my money on the new rocks over the tank volume.

• Like 1