Cultivated Reef

3D Printed Raspberry Pi Zero Camera Bracket

ReefSafeSolutions

ReefSafeSolutions

Just 3D printed this little bracket for a Raspberry Pi Zero HD camera (also printed the camera case)...mounts to the stand and is adjustable to get any angle you want to monitor your tank. The round spacers help get the camera to the level you want, instead of looking at the top of the stand. Works pretty well...some sag in the arm, I may reprint it with horizontal supports to help with the sag. Anyways, if anyone is interested in the STL/g-code files let me know, I'd be happy to share them.

F0E7322A-0FB8-472F-8E2E-46E959FC70AD_zps
And here's the image the little camera generates. Not bad!
Lagoon%2025%20Full%20Tank%20Shot_zpse9as
  • Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Hey RSS - not sure how I didn't see this sooner.

I'm looking to set up some sort of remote tank monitoring. Wi-fi cam, etc... How hard is it to rig up something like this? Do you use a servo or something to control the arm rotation?

I'll be traveling for a few days in Dec. and I'm super hesitant to... Last 2 times I've left for more than a weekend something bad has happened and I have no flippin clue how. I do have a kid come by to feed but it's literally tossing in a frozen cube of food so I don't think that's the issue.

ReefSafeSolutions

Hey RSS - not sure how I didn't see this sooner.

I'm looking to set up some sort of remote tank monitoring. Wi-fi cam, etc... How hard is it to rig up something like this? Do you use a servo or something to control the arm rotation?

I'll be traveling for a few days in Dec. and I'm super hesitant to... Last 2 times I've left for more than a weekend something bad has happened and I have no flippin clue how. I do have a kid come by to feed but it's literally tossing in a frozen cube of food so I don't think that's the issue.

It was really easy, actually. We found some open source software/code to run the camera, and it's actually really good. No servo on this one, just a manual adjustment, but as I understand it, a servo isn't too hard to program for the RPi. The tank is only two feet wide so it captures the width of the tank no problem. I'm sure if you move the camera back a little bit it would capture wider tanks with no problem.

The one issue that we have is that for some reason, we can only access one camera from outside the home internet network. Something to do with the service provider. I think we can change that if we call them and have them make an adjustment, but if you have just one tank it wouldn't be an issue for you (we have two tanks, and also use an RPi camera for security). I'll talk to my dad and get the files, I'd be happy to email them to you. I'll also ask him what is required in order to access the camera from outside the home wifi. If you use a Pi Zero, you'll need a USB wifi adapter.

• 7 months later...

I just found this thread by random searched. Very exiciting.

Do you have the 3d files available in thingiverse or some place else?

I am building a rapsberry pi based controller, which has support for camera, pwm, sensor and more. It runs on both pi3 as well as pi zero. Code is here . I have a master build thread about various controllers with housing and electronics details at reef2reef . I would love to use the 3d printed design to build the enclosure,

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
ReefSafeSolutions
On 6/29/2017 at 10:45 PM, Ranjib said:

I just found this thread by random searched. Very exiciting.

Do you have the 3d files available in thingiverse or some place else?

I am building a rapsberry pi based controller, which has support for camera, pwm, sensor and more. It runs on both pi3 as well as pi zero. Code is here . I have a master build thread about various controllers with housing and electronics details at reef2reef . I would love to use the 3d printed design to build the enclosure,

Sorry, just saw this...a month late...

Let me look for the camera enclosure file.  If I remember correctly, we downloaded it from somewhere, but I can't remember where.  I know thingiverse has a TON of pi zero cases with camera ports.

• Like 2