inTank Media Baskets

JBJ rimless 10 gallon

jeffmr4

• 2 years later...

Well, my tank has gone through some changes and inhabitants.  Its been a while since I posted last but I will update this post soon with some new pictures.  I had some kind of slime/algae/bacteria problem with the rocks that I had so I restarted with some Carib-Sea life rock, new sand, Bio-Spira and inhabitants.  I also ditched the sump because it was causing more nutrient problems than it was solving.  Here is my current setup and inhabitants,

- same JBJ Rimless 10 Gallon Tank, Stand, EShopps 2 gallon ATO Resevoir and Reef Glass Skimmer (for Aeration and Skimming)

- the ATO now has an AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro which I like very much (I have had some problems with it filling to the second level of the sensor which is too high so I just plug it in every so often and unplug it after it fills.)

- I use Kalkwasser in my EShopps ATO Reservoir tank and filtered water from the 6 - Stage BRS RO/DI filter (which I also use for tank water)

- I have forgone the absence of a lid and now use the glass lid that covers most of the tank (This helps lessen evaporation and prevent dust and hair from entering the tank)

- I have a Hydor 50w Heater that I recently unplugged because the heat from the pumps and in the room is enough to keep it at 78 degrees.

- 2 x Aqamai KPs pumps on opposing sides of the tank which run through all different flow types throughout the day at a relatively high gph.

- AI Prime HD light only with settings emulating those ideal for the EcoTech XR15 light but scaled down proprtionately.

-  AI Settings: UV 17, V 33, RY 23, B 24, G 1, DR 1, CW 5.  8 am to 4 pm with an hour ramp time included within that timeframe.  I have RY 3, B 3. from 4 to midnight. Then dark from midnight to 8 am.

- the filter compartment in the center is back which houses the unused heater, inTank Aquatics filter pad (replaced weekly), ROX carbon (2 tblsp. replaced once per month) and AquaVitro Purifiltrum (replaced when it is pretty much used up)

- the pump that came with the tank.

- the rock is Carib-Sea Life Rock (about 8-9 lbs.?), and 10 lbs. of Carib-Sea Aragalive Special Grade Sand

- I'm now using Julian Sprung's AccuraSea Sea Salt which comes in individuals packets each for 4.5 gallons of water.  I like the salt and the possibility of consistency in parameters for each mix because of the use of small individual packets.

- I test for Temperature, Salinity, pH, Magnesium, Alkalinity, Calcium, Phosphate and Nitrates using a refractometer, cooking thermometer (can anyone make a thermometer that is accurate and easy to read??), Hanna test kits (pH, Alk, Ca, PO4) and Salifert (Mg, NO3).

- I try to maintain the above at 78 degrees, 1.025-6, 7.8 - 8.2, 1350, 8 - 8.5, 450, 0 to 0.03, 5 or less.

- I use the BRS Pharma Pouches for Magnesium Mix, Calcium Carbonate and Sodium Bicarbonate.

- The Kalkwasser supplied by the ATO helps raise the pH and keep the Calcium and Alkalinity from dropping too much.

- I monitor the above using the Aquarimate App for iOS.

- Ocellaris Clownfish

- 4 Blue-Legged Hermit Crabs

- 1 Emerald Crab

- Peppermint Shrimp (possibly on the way out because it bothers my Duncan : ( )

- Tuxedo Urchin

- Sea Hare (Dolabella Auricularia) (RIP)

- 2 Astrea snails, 1 Nassarius, 1 Mexican Turbo

- Blastomussa fragment

- Green Favia Brain fragment

- Green Star Polyps

- 4 Headed Duncan

- Purple Zooanthids

Feeding: Very Minimal, Phytoplankton maybe once per week, Reef Roids spot fed maybe once per week, Hikari pellets once per day to every other day, Ocean Nutrition Flake for shrimp once per week, Frozen Mysis Shrimp and a small bit of Krill occasionally.

Water changes - 5 gallons per week, siphon parts of sand

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have recently upgraded to a Radion Gen 5 XR15 Blue and am running the Coral AB+ setting at about 20%.  I added a pink montipora fragment and a purple stylophora one yesterday and have a Crocea clam, echinata, leviathan acro and mushroom coming tomorrow hopefully.  The peppermint shrimp was bothering my corals so I made a trap, caught it and sent it back to the store.  All the corals seem much happier without the shrimp and with the new light.

20200612_084534.jpg

20200612_084547.jpg

20200612_084554.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
teamschreiba

Looks good! Have you checked out your PAR coming off the XR15? When I checked mine it was actually lower than I thought especially for acros. 

Also, do the skimmer and ATO not work in the filter chambers? Just thinking it might clean up the look a bit. 

Hello teamschreiba.  Thank you.  I did check the PAR coming from the XR15.  I think it was 100 to 150 in the middle from bottom to top.  It does decrease towards the sides.  My acro doesn't look as good as it did in that picture above, the echinata bleached from transport and positioning, but the clam seems to be doing ok.  I supplement it with phytoplankton occasionally.

The filter chambers are too small for the skimmer and ATO.  I don't mind the look if it helps the inhabitants (and me!  : )).

Thanks again for the feedback.

Starting to get some algae coming back.  I know that taking all the rocks out and siphoning the sand would probably help but it is a difficult task with all the coral on the rocks.