purple zooanthids

crocea clam

chaetomorpha algae

clownfish

stock pump with filter pad and 50w heater

half-gyre xf-130 (end cap)

coralife 24" 2x24 watt t-5 with ati aquablue special and blue plus

kessil a80 and a160we blue w/controller

reef glass nano protein skimmer (limewood airstone)

brs 5 stage 150 gpd ro/di filter with pressure gauge, tds meter and colored io resin

light cycle - 8 am to 4 pm t-5, 7:40 - 5:20 kessils 5% intensity 0% color

food - reef roids once per week or phyto2 every three days (roids spot fed), ocean nutrition flakes or rod's food to clown once per day

water change - 25% once per week with Red Sea Salt (vacuum sand)

parameters - temp. 79, salinity 1.025, ph 8.1-2, kh 10, ca 440, mg 1305, nitrates 1, phosphates 0

test kits - api marine and reef, salifert mg and nitrate, hanna phosphate

Edited

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Cencalfishguy56

So, some changes have occurred. I bought a sea hare which was doing great and ate all the algae in my tank and then mysteriously died a week later. I don't think there was anything wrong with the parameters in my tank. I have heard that they are hard to keep and sometimes they don't survive in tanks well in addition to their lifespan being one to two years.

I also added a six line wrasse that was attacking my clownfish occasionally at first but now they are getting along. The cyanobacteria seems to come back a little at the end of the week but I siphon it out and then it is gone.

I have added a maxspect gyre xf-130 with end cap and it is working well in the tank. I have it set at about 20% and the flow is not too strong. I have also added a mexican turbo snail and am hoping it will have survived its trip and acclimation.

The anemone I had to give away because it was walking into a powerhead. That is unfortunate but I will find something to substitute it with maybe. I also gave away the two snails that were called 'turbo snails' although they weren't to reduce my bioload.

So the goal now is to see if I can get my tank to mature to the point where phosphates and nitrates are low, the algae scrubber working and low algae in the tank.

I don't have any pictures now but I might put one on youtube for the gyre because I haven't seen it used in a tank this small anywhere. I am also, planning on getting the kessil a80 when it comes out at the end of the month and see if it will work on my tank.

no pics?

I will have a video of the tank up at some point to illustrate the flow of the half-gyre xf-130.  It is at its lowest setting but not too strong and helped me get rid of my cyano problem.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, for those of you following along :), I purchased a 6-stage 150 gpd ro/di unit with pressure gauge, tds checker and chlorine/chloramine test strips from bulk reef supply.

Current readings for the tank are temp. 77, salinity 1.025, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, phosphate .02, pH 8.2 - 8.4, KH 11.5 - 12, calcium 460 and magnesium 1335.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Are you using the stock return pump? That thing is horrible. Also when you replaces the filters did you have a media basket for what you used or did you just shoved into the second chamber?

• 2 weeks later...

I might have to try some of those Oracus.  I think I may have gotten some bad rock.

I am still using the stock pump trong.  I have a gyre for flow in the tank.  I don't use a media basket.  I just cut some filter foam to fit the second chamber and put carbon and gfo below it.  The filter unit doesn't remove that much stuff from the tank.

Thanks. rgodoy22.  I like their tanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've added a few things.  From left to right Acropora, Blue-Spotted Sea Hare, Montipora Capricornis, Blueberry Sea Fan, ORA Hawkins Echinata, Trochus snail, Blue Zooanthids, Purple Zooanthids and a small Crocea Clam.  I put them all directly in from the fish store and they seem to be doing fine.  The blueberry sea fan closed up later in the day.  It might be getting too much light.  For now I am feeding a capful of marine snow once per week and phyto2 from two bottles alternating every three days.  We'll see how things go. :)

• Like 1

I'd never seen the JBJ rimless 10g, I really like it. The tank looks good other than the nuisance algae. I can't remember from reading through the thread, do you have an emerald crab?

• jeffmr4 changed the title to JBJ rimless 10 gallon