Cultivated Reef

Ultra Clear Tank Giveaway! Your Idea Due by October 14th!

UNS

I've always wanted to try a low tech Xenia dominated tank. I love Xenia but I'm too scared to put it in my tank. So I'd do a few different varieties of Xenia and keep a bunch of sexy shrimp.

I'd use a Tom's canister filter and maybe keep it simple with a Par 30 or 38 on a gooseneck for lighting.

how about you dont copy my ideas

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Option 1: upside down jelly tank!

Option 2: harlequin shrimp tank (always wanted to give these guys a shot)

lighting: nanobox tide

filtration: custom AIO insert

I've always wanted to try buying some high quality live rock and hope for as many cool hitchhikers as possible. Would probably stick to only 1 or 2 corals too. I like the look of bigger colonies vs. lots of small different pieces.

I would do a display macro tank - equipment-wise - nothing too fancy - a AC70 with a Kessil A80 for light. And a tailspot blenny.

I would do a bonsai. A small amount of fine sand would form the substrate. A domed rock would have a piece of tonga branch glued to it at an angle. The tonga branch would have a trunk with a few "branches" coming off the top at different angles. At the end of each would be a torch. Around the base of the tree I'd have several other smaller rocks, each one encrusted with its own zoanthid morph. This would allow me to control spreading and it would look like a garden of flowers around the base of the tree. Then I'd have green star polyps growing on top of the substrate around the zoa gardens. This would make it easy to trim the GSP and control growth so that it didn't completely take over the substrate nor take over the zoas.

For livestock I'd have a single Mandarin Dragonet. I'd feed him 3000 pods weekly split up into daily doses which would cost an estimated ~25/week to keep him fat and healthy. As a single fish tank he'd have no competition for food. For clean up crew I'd use two Trochus snails.

For lighting I'd go with a Nanobox Tide with built in Bluefish controller. It would be suspended from the ceiling to keep the lines of the tank clean. Flow would be handled by the Tunze 6040. Top off and dosing would be performed by hand daily with top off being twice a day to keep salinity in check. Broadcast feeding of coral food would take place an hour or two prior to a weekly 50% water changes to keep nutrients and trace elements in check.

I would like to thank everyone for participating, and sharing such amazing ideas . As I have already decided that I'm going to win , I would like to ask that you all delete your entries to prevent any confusion when my name is chosen.

Thank you for understanding. :flower:

Congrats to our 2 winners!!

jbb_00 will be receiving the 30C

Justind823 will be receiving the 25C

We are looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with!! Please pm us with your shipping info :)

I would like to thank everyone for participating, and sharing such amazing ideas . As I have already decided that I'm going to win , I would like to ask that you all delete your entries to prevent any confusion when my name is chosen.

Thank you for understanding. :flower:

... wow, how did you know?

Congrats to our 2

!!

We are looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with!! Please pm us with your shipping info :)

omgomgomg

Now to play the lottery...

TheUnfocusedOne

Congrats to our 2 winners!!

my%2Breaction.gif

Cencalfishguy56

How the ####ity #### #### did that happen!? He comments literally minutes before his name is chosen, this is bullshit! lol congrats but it's still bullshit :lol:

How the ####ity #### #### did that happen!? He comments literally minutes before his name is chosen, this is bullshit! lol congrats but it's still bullshit :lol:

:lol:

Skillz ? :huh:

Archived