Pod Your Reef

Dawn's pony garden.

vlangel

My name is Dawn and I love seahorses!  My 1st seahorse tank was started in April 2014, a 30g XH.  I started with a SSB, then I lost my 1st stallion, Adam to gas bubble disease that I thought was due to the sandbed.  I began a new build, 56g column with the plan to make it bb.  It was like that over a year but I missed the sandbed too much and wanted a more natural look.  Unfortunately, either the sandbed or the addition of fish once again contributed to 2 of the 3 seahorses coming down with skin infections.  I decided for the ponies' well being, I needed to have them in a specie specific tank with a bare bottom that is painted underneath to look like sand.  So they are once again in the original 30g XH seahorse tank.  It will have predominantly macro algae and a few soft coral.

Here are the progression of my tank to date:

Nov. 2018. 30 gallon XH

Both tanks together

October 2018: the seahorses are moved into the 30g XH (on right), a specie specific system.

2018-09-26_04-46-51

The addition of fish August 2018

2018-01-26_06-07-16

FTS Jan 2018 Big change and return to sandbed.

20171011_171220

FTS Oct. 2017

1500575113604-323145321

FTS Oct 2016

100_2951_zpsxvgpriyl.jpg

Adam, my stallion that this tank was built in memory of.

20160929_133339_zpsacb8rdnf.jpg

I chose a 56 gallon AGA column for its dimensions being so suitable to seahorses.

20160929_074859_zpsrsh6z8wz.jpg

This is the bottom almost finished being painted. I used a valspar sandstone paint for interiors, actually the same color as my livingroom walls. It does look like sand somewhat.

SPECIFICATIONS:

Sump:  DIY 20 gallon long, plumbed in the basement.  Overflow is a HOB with 10 feet of head pressure to the livingroom.  I do not use filter socks.

SCA-302 skimmer is located in the drain chamber of the sump.  The 2nd chamber is a fuge with a 5" sandbed growing caulerpa, cheato and whatever macro algae I happen to have.  It is lighted by a cheap led flo bulb from Lowes. I dose magnesium, iron and iodide when the growth of the macros seems a bit slow.

The return chamber has a DC-6000 for flow.

Powerheads, Rio 800 and Tunze 6045

Husbandry: WCs are the main means of export.  8 gallon WCs are done 3Xs a week.  I turkey baste the rock, coral and macro algaes 2 Xs a week.

• Like 15

20160929_133408_zpsnehj9qbf.jpg

Next came designing how to make it in honor of Adam.

I have a degree in commercial art but I am not a wizard with an airbrush and I am using aerosol paints. Still phase 1 went ok.

20160930_130639_zpsjbsueieh.jpg

20161003_100130_zps0d33pgsd.jpg

It got a bit dark near Adam's head but with a little rework I think I will get there. The black box on the right is to simulate the overflow box.

• Like 5

This is great, looking forward to seeing how this goes!!

Thanks hinnenkm, I wanted something unique and I think this is it. I hope its a 'good' unique, ha ha!

• Like 2

this is such a cool and unique (good unique) idea! can't wait to see how it ends up!!

Thanks Lizz, wow its always good to get affirmation! Thanks again.

• Like 1

TY Dawn for starting this Thread...Looks Beautiful!...It will honor Adam so nicely.

#4 Following :)

OOPS...#5

Edited by Astinus
  • Like 1

Very cool! I can't wait to see how it turns out :) sorry you lost Adam :(

Thank you fishfreak for the kind words and the condolences. I am pretty excited about it too!

TY Dawn for starting this Thread...Looks Beautiful!...It will honor Adam so nicely.

#4 Following :)

Thanks Astinus. I did not know if it was too soon to start a new thread or not but since I had pictures, I decided to do it.

• Like 1

That is a fantastic background and a fitting tribute to Adam.

Thanks Dekon, I am reworking the area around Adam because I am hoping to improve it. I wanted him to be subtle but then I accidently got it too dark and it casted a shadow on him. I definitely did not want that. So now I am going for him 'in the light' look.

Aww...ur 2 sweet ;):wub:

Nah, you are the one who is 2 sweet! You always have something nice and kind to say to everyone. The world needs those kind of people :-).

• Like 1

20161004_134352_zpsux7zboaz.jpg

Ok, so the rework worked. The photo doesn't show it as well because of glare off the glass. I am pretty happy with it however. I need to remember that the back glass will get some algae and coraline so my mural even if it were perfect would not always look it.

So now to leak test it. I know, I know, I should have done that first. I forgot so nothing to do but pray that it doesn't leak.

• Like 6
  • Wow 1

Dawn!!! I love this! That mural is amazing and a wonderful tribute to your Adam.

Thanks so much Rachel, the pic isn't an exact representation but its not bad. I know you could do better. I haven 't done any artwork in years. Still I am pretty excited about it.

• Like 1

So I have been looking into powerheads after hearing Ben's comments on the flow in his bb tank. I would love to have the tunze 6040 with controller but its a bit rich for my blood plus that open top makes me nervous with the impellor exposed.

I am thinking a tunze 6045 is more in my budget and the flow is adjustable at least. It will be much more efficient than my rios and it is fairly small and low profile.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

So I have been looking into powerheads after hearing Ben's comments on the flow in his bb tank. I would love to have the tunze 6040 with controller but its a bit rich for my blood plus that open top makes me nervous with the impellor exposed.

I am thinking a tunze 6045 is more in my budget and the flow is adjustable at least. It will be much more efficient than my rios and it is fairly small and low profile.

Did you already buy one? If not, I have a pair you can have.

• Like 2

Turned out beautifully!!!! And the "sand" kinda really does look like sand :).

Thanks Gena. I am hoping that it casts some of that pastel magic on my coral like your tank does!

I am really liking how the painted sand turned out. But I will miss covering up bases and stuff that I don't want to show with real sand, LOL.

• Like 2