inTank Media Baskets

Dawn's pony garden.

vlangel

12 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Ahhhhhh :wub:

I love the peaceful beachy look from the bare bottom/sand interface.

Thanks teeny.  I like that too.  What I do not like is how I always have rust colored algae on the sand. 🤔

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Zuma said:

Super cool, I dig the motion of tank and the open aquascape. I bet a pipe fish would like it in there too..

This tank is 24" high for the seahorses.  It's a myth that they do best in low flow, they actually do best in high turnover and hitch places in low, medium and high flow so they can choose.  The tank has 22Xs turnover so there is some good water movement, (but still quieter spots for the ponies if they choose) and now with swimming bennies I also like the motion.

I kick around ordering 2 CB banded pipes from Ocean Rider.  I have had them before and they come trained to eat mysis.  Their lifespan only seems to be about 2 years though. 

• Like 3

I have been looking at gobies and jawfish as my next possible additions to the seahorse garden.  I like the idea of 2 juvenile yellowhead jawfish and hoping that they will pair up at some time.  A rusty goby would be nice too and both of those can be gotten from KPAquatics.  Also a neon goby might be nice but I don't know if they might make the ponies nervous by trying to clean them, so I might hold off on one of them.

• Like 3

As I ponder having jawfish, I also have to consider making the tank enviroment comfortable for them, specifically giving them good burrow options.  I prefer them not to burrow in my DSB area but as the tank is now that is really the only suitable burrow area because the rest of the sand is too spotty and shallow.  So my dilemma, how to have enough sand to burrow in the SSB but also keep the flow in an upwards direction to keep particles in suspension for the seahorses' sake?  I have been blasting the floor of the aquarium but I aim in an area that is BB.  My solution...another retaining wall that is not as high so the BB area is much smaller and an inch deep SSB is much bigger.  This should result in another desirable effect; my DSB shouldn't leak as much (at least that is my hope).  Stay tuned for another aquascape change!

• Like 5

The new scape is done minus some tweaking here and there.  I lowered the wall holding back the DSB and created a shorter wall to hold a SSB in the front and left side of the tank.

The overall look is more pleasing to me at least for now.  I know the diatomous algae will frustrate me as I see it on the sandbed but without crabs I do not know how to deal with it other than continous stirring.

Ponies and fish seem happy with it, or maybe that its finally done.  I will take a pic when the tank clears up more.

• Like 4

Quick and DIRTY pics!

2018-10-16_04-46-48

FTS Oct 16th 2018

2018-10-16_04-47-29

Not exactly a top down shot but taken from a slanted bird's eye view so you can see the 3 levels.

I think with some added rubble rock the jawfish could happily build a burrow now.  I wonder how some pretty ricordia would look nestled up to the low rock wall😉.  Maybe a shaving brush and mermaid fan would be nice additions too.  I might as well make my shipping of the fish worthwhile😆.

• Like 8
  • Wow 1
18 hours ago, vlangel said:

Quick and DIRTY pics!

2018-10-16_04-46-48

FTS Oct 16th 2018

2018-10-16_04-47-29

Not exactly a top down shot but taken from a slanted bird's eye view so you can see the 3 levels.

I think with some added rubble rock the jawfish could happily build a burrow now.  I wonder how some pretty ricordia would look nestled up to the low rock wall😉.  Maybe a shaving brush and mermaid fan would be nice additions too.  I might as well make my shipping of the fish worthwhile😆.

really like the new scape.  Any particular reason for the bare bottom section?  Also a Jawfish would be neat, I think that it may find the deep sand bed portion more enticing to dig a burrow?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, debbeach13 said:

The ponies look like toddlers playing on the beach. Looks great.

Yes, Eve was hot to trot when I took that pic but Samson only has eyes for Delilah!  It reminded me of Peppy la Pew chasing the pretty kitty, ha ha!

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I like how simple and 'open' everything looks. Are you planning on adding more macro later?

I would love to add more varieties Snow but I think the tank is too clean to sustain some varieties.  I used to have great luck with dragons breath but can't seem to keep it with my current WC schedule.  So as long as I have the ponies I think I am limited.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

The new aquascape looks great @vlangel! I like how you use rock retaining walls to create more levels. When do you think you’ll add the jawfish?

Thanks CM.  As soon as funds are available.  At the very least if I don't get them sooner I will ask Santa for them.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

really like the new scape.  Any particular reason for the bare bottom section?  Also a Jawfish would be neat, I think that it may find the deep sand bed portion more enticing to dig a burrow?

Thanks micoastreefing!  Right now the bb section's purpose is so I can blast it with flow to create an upwards current to keep excess food and detritus in suspension.  That is to help keep anything from accumulating in the sand and rockwork thus fueling dangerous bacteria that could kill my ponies.  Someday after my ponies have lived out their natural lives I don't plan to have a bb section anymore.

Hopefully if I scatter the rubble rock near the low rock wall they will be enticed to build there.  The best laid plans of mice and men, ha ha.  No doubt they will build where they want 😉.

• Like 2

Well it appears that I went too far as far as the ponies are concerned.  Samson and Delilah have come down with skin infections.  Feeding 4 fish plus the ponies was probably making too much waste.  Then with all the rockwork and sand probably some mysis is getting caught somewhere even with me taking out the macro algae and coral and basting everything.  I am going to have to rethink how I am doing things.

I am leaning toward setting up the 30 gallon XH for the seahorses with minimal rock and decor (probably artificial)in the display, once Samson and Delilah recover.  I would move the overflow box and return nozzle onto the 30 gallon so that the ponies would be hooked up to the sump.  Their tank would be SHOWLR, with the ponies themselves being the main attraction.  Next to it would be the 56 gallon column tank which would be the main display reef tank with the fish.  It would be an AIO until the seahorses live out their natural lives, at which point I would reconnect it to the sump.  For now the main filtration would just be a HOB pump, LR, LS and the macro algaes that are growing in it.  I will want it to be a higher nutrient system to encourage flourishing macro algaes.  It will have predominantly softies and LPS and I will do a 10% WC per week.

• Sad 3
  • Wow 1
6 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Well it appears that I went too far as far as the ponies are concerned.  Samson and Delilah have come down with skin infections.  Feeding 4 fish plus the ponies was probably making too much waste.  Then with all the rockwork and sand probably some mysis is getting caught somewhere even with me taking out the macro algae and coral and basting everything.  I am going to have to rethink how I am doing things.

I am leaning toward setting up the 30 gallon XH for the seahorses with minimal rock and decor (probably artificial)in the display, once Samson and Delilah recover.  I would move the overflow box and return nozzle onto the 30 gallon so that the ponies would be hooked up to the sump.  Their tank would be SHOWLR, with the ponies themselves being the main attraction.  Next to it would be the 56 gallon column tank which would be the main display reef tank with the fish.  It would be an AIO until the seahorses live out their natural lives, at which point I would reconnect it to the sump.  For now the main filtration would just be a HOB pump, LR, LS and the macro algaes that are growing in it.  I will want it to be a higher nutrient system to encourage flourishing macro algaes.  It will have predominantly softies and LPS and I will do a 10% WC per week.

Ohh noooo I hope they can recover!  The rest sounds interesting!  Is the 30 what you originally had ponies in?

• Like 2
On 10/16/2018 at 9:24 AM, vlangel said:

I know your ponies will do well in a mono culture.   

Change is in the wind.  I am adjusting outside mariculture to cold hardy macro algae:  mostly Ulva because of its marketability.

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Fingers crossed everyone will get well soon!! ??

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Ohh noooo I hope they can recover!  The rest sounds interesting!  Is the 30 what you originally had ponies in?

Thanks Lula, they are eating great and seem to be content in HT together.  They have never been treated with antibiotics so I expect that they will respond well to treatment.

Yes, the 30 is my original seahorse tank.  They are good tanks for a pair but I think it will be ok to have Eve in with them since it will be hooked up to the 20 gallon sump.  Its not ideal but since WCs are easy it should be fine.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Subsea said:

I know your ponies will do well in a mono culture.   

Change is in the wind.  I am adjusting outside mariculture to cold hardy macro algae:  mostly Ulva because of its marketability.

Yes, I think the ponies should recover and do well in their own system.

I am kind of excited to make changes to the 56g reef tank.

• Like 1