inTank Media Baskets

Dawn's pony garden.

vlangel

2 hours ago, vlangel said:

Yesterday Samson hitched to one of my trocus snails, (which have grown so much that they look like turbo snails).  Anyway the snail lifted up its shell a bit and Sammy's tail slipped in between the snails body and shell.  When the snail adjusted itself back to normal, Sammy's tail was pinched.  I hope to get a good look at it today when the lights come on to make sure there is not a wound there.

Hopefully no damage, as only the shell is hard and the snail body is squishy! The trochus are feisty, when they do their shake it freaks me out when the shell hits the glass! Great snails though!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Oh No I hope he is OK

2 hours ago, Orangutran said:

Hopefully no damage, as only the shell is hard and the snail body is squishy! The trochus are feisty, when they do their shake it freaks me out when the shell hits the glass! Great snails though!

Thanks to both of you for caring.  I looked him over real good and I do not see any marks on his body or tail.  He totally seems himself as he is chasing the girls all over the tank!

• Like 4
23 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Thanks to both of you for caring.  I looked him over real good and I do not see any marks on his body or tail.  He totally seems himself as he is chasing the girls all over the tank!

He knows his priorities! ;) 

• Like 1

I always love seeing the photos of the seahorses.  How can you not be happy looking at seahorses?!  They are looking so amazingly healthy.  Also, I adore the cirri mohawk! :wub:

• Like 1
RIP Sebastian

The tank looks great! I have a quick question for you. I was doing some re arranging in my tank yesterday and accidentally took some flesh (maybe 1 centimeter) off of my photosynthetic gorgonian. What should I do? Thanks!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Felicia said:

I always love seeing the photos of the seahorses.  How can you not be happy looking at seahorses?!  They are looking so amazingly healthy.  Also, I adore the cirri mohawk! :wub:

Its true Felicia, when the ponies are happy and healthy it makes Dave and I feel happy.  They have been especially active lately playing more in the current or dancing and courting.  I only wish I could fatten Samson up a bit but he is all about impressing the girls instead of eating.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RIP Sebastian said:

The tank looks great! I have a quick question for you. I was doing some re arranging in my tank yesterday and accidentally took some flesh (maybe 1 centimeter) off of my photosynthetic gorgonian. What should I do? Thanks!

Thanks Nick in regards to my tank. 

A lot will depend on what kind of gorg it is.  Some are more sensitive to losing flesh than others.  The biggest thing is to keep algae from growing on it and that can be tricky.  If its not the main stock, and you are struggling to keep it algae free, then I would just cut that branch off with a nice clean cut.

RIP Sebastian
41 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Thanks Nick in regards to my tank. 

A lot will depend on what kind of gorg it is.  Some are more sensitive to losing flesh than others.  The biggest thing is to keep algae from growing on it and that can be tricky.  If its not the main stock, and you are struggling to keep it algae free, then I would just cut that branch off with a nice clean cut.

Thanks! He's in pretty high flow and I think I saw it healing already, plus a couple of polyps are out, so I think its alright.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, RIP Sebastian said:

Thanks! He's in pretty high flow and I think I saw it healing already, plus a couple of polyps are out, so I think its alright.

High flow is good.  Also if it appears to be starting to heal with some polyps out, that is promising.  I would keep up your water quality so it doesn't get a bacterial problem but it sounds like its on the right track.

14 hours ago, vlangel said:

Its true Felicia, when the ponies are happy and healthy it makes Dave and I feel happy.  They have been especially active lately playing more in the current or dancing and courting.  I only wish I could fatten Samson up a bit but he is all about impressing the girls instead of eating.

From the photos it does seem like they've been more active lately.  You're really doing something right to be keeping them so happy and healthy!  How old is Samson?  Hopefully he'll calm down a bit as he gets older and fatten up.  The young seahorses always look skinnier to me and then the big mature adults seem to really fatten up into the healthy, plump seahorses.

• Like 1

I got Samson and Delilah in April.  I am assuming that they were about 4 months old at that time so they are a bit less than a year now.  The problem is every time  he is near the girls, he gets all 'horsey', ha ha!  He is always flexing and inflating his pouch.  Its kinda cute to see how much spunk he has.  He's has a good appetite and he's active so I think he will fatten up when he gets a little older.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Felicia said:

From the photos it does seem like they've been more active lately.  You're really doing something right to be keeping them so happy and healthy!  How old is Samson?  Hopefully he'll calm down a bit as he gets older and fatten up.  The young seahorses always look skinnier to me and then the big mature adults seem to really fatten up into the healthy, plump seahorses.

Sorry felicia, the above post was meant for you.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, vlangel said:

I got Samson and Delilah in April.  I am assuming that they were about 4 months old at that time so they are a bit less than a year now.  The problem is every time  he is near the girls, he gets all 'horsey', ha ha!  He is always flexing and inflating his pouch.  Its kinda cute to see how much spunk he has.  He's has a good appetite and he's active so I think he will fatten up when he gets a little older.

How cute!  I bet it is so fun to watch the dynamic between the male and females.  I missed out on that behavior with my seahorses since I had all females.  Sounds like he's a healthy young seahorse! :wub:

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Felicia said:

How cute!  I bet it is so fun to watch the dynamic between the male and females.  I missed out on that behavior with my seahorses since I had all females.  Sounds like he's a healthy young seahorse! :wub:

I had considered only keeping females after losing Adam and Boaz.  I just love the courtship dance they do.  I guess deep down I am a hopeless romantic.

• Like 1

I love the new scape! And happy belated tank birthday, I can't believe it's over a year old already. 

When I took everything apart during the soft reboot of the 10g, I did the same modular thing with the rocks, they look like they're all stuck together but the main part of the scape is actually two pieces that I can lift out separately for cleaning, or to chase down nuisances on the back of the rocks. I love how you can take yours out and rearrange them, though, that's really cool!

• Like 1
On 11/30/2017 at 9:25 AM, debbeach13 said:

As always so clean and looks great

I should actually take a pic when its dirty.  I am giving the lopsided view that my tank is always clean, ha ha!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I love the new scape! And happy belated tank birthday, I can't believe it's over a year old already. 

When I took everything apart during the soft reboot of the 10g, I did the same modular thing with the rocks, they look like they're all stuck together but the main part of the scape is actually two pieces that I can lift out separately for cleaning, or to chase down nuisances on the back of the rocks. I love how you can take yours out and rearrange them, though, that's really cool!

Thanks teeny, in a way I can't believe that its been a year already either.

I love being able to disassemble the rockwork in this tank to keep it cleaner and detritus free.  Its always a new scape because I never can remember how to put it back together the way it was, ha ha!

• Like 2