Coral Vue Hydros

Dawn's pony garden.

vlangel

52 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Yes, I have had very good luck with macro algaes.  I wished I had more green though.  I feel like the reds almost overpower the looks of the tank.

Have you tried Cympolia Barbata or Codium?

Everything in this tank is looking absolutely gorgeous

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Have you tried Cympolia Barbata or Codium?

Everything in this tank is looking absolutely gorgeous

Thank Weetabix.  I do have a nice big piece of codium and I have halimeda and of course feather caulerpa.  I am not sure what Cympolia Barbata is.  I am limited to macros that will attach to rock since I do not have a substrate.

20170814_150730

Here is a pic of a gallon bucket with the poop I syphon out daily from the bottom of the pony tank.  Ha ha, they are dirty ponies.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, vlangel said:

20170814_150730

Here is a pic of a gallon bucket with the poop I syphon out daily from the bottom of the pony tank.  Ha ha, they are dirty ponies.

That's a lot of poop!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Tank looks great, ponies look great, love the macro's 

Thank you deb, other than losing Ruth things are going very well.  I see lots of copepods on the glass and the fuge is crawling with amphipods.  If I want live food I just shake some of the cheato and I can easily get 20 amphipods.

5 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

That's a lot of poop!

Ha ha, that is the fertilizer that is feeding my macro algae!  And that is only the solids, you should see what my skimmer cup looks like after 4 days, YUC!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
On 8/17/2017 at 8:49 PM, vlangel said:

20170817_203058

An August FTS.  As usual Eve is front and center.  Samson and Delilah are probably being chummy in the shadows.

Ahhhh just, this just makes me feel all peaceful and happy. Beautiful pictures! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, teenyreef said:

Ahhhh just, this just makes me feel all peaceful and happy. Beautiful pictures! 

Thanks teeny.  That's how it makes me feel too. Flowing, waving polyps and macros makes it even better.

• Like 1

My trip down to Nashville to see our son and his wife and the eclipse went well.  We love being with our grown kids and the eclipse was such a magical event.  I am still awed by it.

The ponies never missed me but of course now they want the 'barn cleaned' in a manner of speaking.  I will do a WC and syphon poop today and tomorrow I will maintenance the tank.

• Like 7

Wow!  Those most recent 3 photos you posted are just stunning!  This tank has really matured!  I love how lush and and natural it looks!  This is just an absolutely perfect seahorse environment!  Oh, and Ruth is a ham!  She was posed so perfectly in the photo.  :wub:

Your dedication and hard work in maintaining this tank are inspiring.  I can't believe you siphon every day!  I have a hard time sticking to siphoning a tank once every couple weeks!  I definitely think you made the right call leaving this tank bare-bottom.  It seems to be effective for keeping it cleaner and also it looks super modern and sleek.  The combo of the white bottom with the light-colored mural in the back really make the inhabitants pop.  Lovely work with this tank, Dawn!  I'm also so happy to get my seahorse fix! :wub::wub:

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Felicia said:

Wow!  Those most recent 3 photos you posted are just stunning!  This tank has really matured!  I love how lush and and natural it looks!  This is just an absolutely perfect seahorse environment!  Oh, and Ruth is a ham!  She was posed so perfectly in the photo.  :wub:

Your dedication and hard work in maintaining this tank are inspiring.  I can't believe you siphon every day!  I have a hard time sticking to siphoning a tank once every couple weeks!  I definitely think you made the right call leaving this tank bare-bottom.  It seems to be effective for keeping it cleaner and also it looks super modern and sleek.  The combo of the white bottom with the light-colored mural in the back really make the inhabitants pop.  Lovely work with this tank, Dawn!  I'm also so happy to get my seahorse fix! :wub::wub:

O my, thank you. I am sure that I would not syphon everyday except I hate seeing the bb look so dirty.  The white bottom makes the poop pop too, ha ha so I feel compelled to syphon.  Syphoning a bb tank is a breeze compared to a sand bottom however.  I can literally do it in a minute or two because everything collects in one spot.

With each pony I lost, I learned something so it wasn't all in vain.  I guess this tank is a result of those hard lessons.  I was determined to keep seahorses and since its so painful to lose them, I was/am motivated to do what is necessary to minimize going through that.

40 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Absolutely beautiful Dawn. Don't know why I haven't been by in awhile, I just love your tank. That silhouette of Adam:wub:. Following now so I don't forget to stop by.

Thanks Pj, actually I have had a busy summer with doing some travelling so I had not been around as much.  Then I dragged my feet about how to deal with photobucket's change so I didn't take any pics for awhile.  So you haven't missed much.  Thanks for the kind words.

29 minutes ago, stellablue said:

Pony poop! Haha 

i love the recent photos and i hope you post some of the eclipse! I would love to see them. 

I wished I had some good photos of the eclipse but I only took 1 with the cell phone, (and its nothing to brag about).  Mostly I just wanted to live in the moment.  Last night I looked at photos online and they look just like what we saw.  Or even better, watch a video so you can experience how quickly it got dark, in fact dark enough to see 2 planets that looked like stars.  It was just so amazing.

17 minutes ago, Sk8n Reefer said:

Have to agree with everyone- great shots, love Eve hanging out front and center

Thanks Scott.  Yeah, Eve is not the slightest bit shy and she is a champion at begging and mooching.

How is your tank coming along?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, vlangel said:

I wished I had some good photos of the eclipse but I only took 1 with the cell phone, (and its nothing to brag about).  Mostly I just wanted to live in the moment.  Last night I looked at photos online and they look just like what we saw.  Or even better, watch a video so you can experience how quickly it got dark, in fact dark enough to see 2 planets that looked like stars.  It was just so amazing.

Thanks Scott.  Yeah, Eve is not the slightest bit shy and she is a champion at begging and mooching.

How is your tank coming along?

holding it's own, nothing new but the corals are starting to color up better and encrust again. Still have some lingering Cyano that I've struggled to eliminate.  I should be in good shape come Fall to refocus on getting it to where it should be- summer just been too busy and traveling for work a bit again- that's the biggest factor- how much I travel during the week. It really limits my time with the tank. ?

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Sk8n Reefer said:

holding it's own, nothing new but the corals are starting to color up better and encrust again. Still have some lingering Cyano that I've struggled to eliminate.  I should be in good shape come Fall to refocus on getting it to where it should be- summer just been too busy and traveling for work a bit again- that's the biggest factor- how much I travel during the week. It really limits my time with the tank. ?

I totally understand Scott since we have had multiple weeks away from home too.  I don't dare scimp on the WCs but sometimes I don't clean the glass.  I am so glad that I have a WC system that can do a 7-8 gallon WC in less than 5 minutes.  That has been a lifesaver for me.

7 hours ago, Orangutran said:

Hey Dawn, just dropping to say hi! Tank is looking great! :) 

Hey, its nice to hear from you since I was kinda MIA a lot this summer.  That is very kind of you in regards to my tank.  How is your tank doing?  Have you and the family had a good summer?

• Like 1