Pod Your Reef

Dawn's pony garden.

vlangel

Dave is helping me to plan moving my water making/mixing station right next to my basement sump tank.  We have a pretty good idea where we will mount the RO/DI unit.  Tomorrow I will need to move some stuff to accommodate the new plan but it shouldn't be too hard.

Also I change out a conch shell that I had the big fuzzy gorgonian in and moved everything on an old coral skeleton.  I was worried that excess food could get trapped in the conch even though I filled it with sand.  Now I can blast it with the turkey baster.

20170319_184209_zps4r70vugj.jpg

Here is a pic!

• Like 6

A reefer on another forum gave me a link to buy one.  I may still check out the hardware store in Mars to see if they have it.  It turns out that we have enough line already and can use the saddle valve that we already have for our ice cube maker. :-)

RIP Sebastian
1 hour ago, vlangel said:

I am bleaching my brute can and hose that I transfer water.  It felt like some sort of residue was building up.

I can tell I'm going to have water mixing station envy. I've got about six square feet to work with in my garage! :)

• Like 1
On 3/19/2017 at 5:29 PM, vlangel said:

20170319_184110_zps3csa7xxk.jpg

Its not a lot different but it is going to be easier to keep clean.

The tank is looking so good!  I love this shot with Adam in the background. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, RIP Sebastian said:

I can tell I'm going to have water mixing station envy. I've got about six square feet to work with in my garage! :)

Well you have seen my fishroom, its not luxurious but it is very functional.  My new water station will take all of the work out of WCs.  The brute cans will be on the right side of the entrance, which will be right under the RO/DI unit.  The big can will be for RO/DI and the smaller can will be the one with mixed salt.  All I will do is turn a valve or plug in pumps to make/mix saltwater or fill the sump.  

I have been thinking about getting 3 more ponies for a total of 5, so WCs will even be more important than ever with that kind of bioload on the tank. I feel pretty confident that my big skimmer, my fuge and with big WCs every week that my system can handle it.

9 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

The tank is looking so good!  I love this shot with Adam in the background. 

Thanks WV reefer, I loved that pic too with Adam behind Eve.  Its almost like they are together again. :-)

• Like 5
RIP Sebastian
4 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Well you have seen my fishroom, its not luxurious but it is very functional.  My new water station will take all of the work out of WCs.  The brute cans will be on the right side of the entrance, which will be right under the RO/DI unit.  The big can will be for RO/DI and the smaller can will be the one with mixed salt.  All I will do is turn a valve or plug in pumps to make/mix saltwater or fill the sump.  

I have been thinking about getting 3 more ponies for a total of 5, so WCs will even be more important than ever with that kind of bioload on the tank. I feel pretty confident that my big skimmer, my fuge and with big WCs every week that my system can handle it.

I loved that pic too with Adam behind Eve.  Its almost like they are together again. :-)

Neat! Sounds like water changes won't be strenuous anymore. Waiting in anticipation for more ponies!

• Like 1

I have everything ready for Dave to mount my RO/DI unit on the wall and tie it into a line from the cold water line.  Since I was relocating aquarium items and adding shelving I came across my 1st seahorse tank, a 30 gallon XH tank and stand. I actually have everything necessary to turn it into a fry tank/nursery.  I did not think after how much work it was last time to raise fry that I would ever do it again but now I am rethinking that.  It could serve as a quarantine tank when its not a nursery.  It would not cost much to have it running with a HOB filter and since the ornamentation is artificial I would not need to use the lights when it was not in use.

• Like 5
57 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Yes do it a sea horse nursery would be a living wonder to watch.

Although I only have females right now so I wont be using a nursery for awhile, ha ha!

On 3/21/2017 at 8:49 AM, debbeach13 said:

Yes but after your trip new pony's are planned. Correct?

You are correct, new ponies are planned for the beginning of April.  1 pair and the 3rd pony will be chosen by color.

20170321_145143_zpshbvmgbb7.jpg

And I am getting ready for them!

• Like 4

20170321_145039_zpsbrm6mn2v.jpg

Not too bad considering that I did not have to buy anything.  It even has a skimmer but its not plugged in until the tank is cycled.  I have a couple of pieces of live rock in it and I will put a mysis or two in  to help the cycle get started.

• Like 5
8 minutes ago, Astinus said:

Damn Dawn!  That looks amazing!  And I can't wait for ur new additions :)

U have a Nice "Little" Ranch going on there!  :wub::happy:

Thanks Astinus.  For a QT or fry nursery it looks alright.  Its not very far at all from my sump tank and where my new water making/mixing station will be.  That will keep it manageable when its in use because once again I wont have to carry or lift water.  I will have to move the brute can on wheels across the hall but that wont be bad at all.  Maybe I will end up with a herd!

1 hour ago, RIP Sebastian said:

Yay! Can't wait!

I know Nick, I am chomping at the bit to order my new ponies.  Now that the QT/fry tank is up I am even anxious to try my hand at raising baby seahorses again.

• Like 2
RIP Sebastian
3 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Thanks Astinus.  For a QT or fry nursery it looks alright.  Its not very far at all from my sump tank and where my new water making/mixing station will be.  That will keep it manageable when its in use because once again I wont have to carry or lift water.  I will have to move the brute can on wheels across the hall but that wont be bad at all.  Maybe I will end up with a herd!

I know Nick, I am chomping at the bit to order my new ponies.  Now that the QT/fry tank is up I am even anxious to try my hand at raising baby seahorses again.

If you do end up raising babies, please document the process! That's something I'd like to do someday.

• Like 1
RIP Sebastian
8 minutes ago, vlangel said:

I will.  It is actually documented on my first seahorse tank when I raised 15 out of 22 fry.

Oh. I'll have to go find that, then. :)

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, RIP Sebastian said:

Oh. I'll have to go find that, then. :)

Those fry were born Oct 30, 2014.  The tank was the 30g XH that I just set up again and it was tied into the 36g bowfront.

RIP Sebastian
38 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Those fry were born Oct 30, 2014.  The tank was the 30g XH that I just set up again and it was tied into the 36g bowfront.

Right! Thanks. :)

• Like 1

Before you click on this, remember my fish room and water making station are functional, not beautiful.  This was all designed to remove all the heavy work of carrying, lifting or dragging water and it does that.  But it is not pretty, ha ha!

• Like 5