Coral Vue Hydros

Dawn's pony garden.

vlangel

20170125_185202_zpsfugtyn46.jpg

I am getting coraline algae on my back wall. I am leaning toward keeping it scraped off so it does not detract from the mural, or just let it grow on the bottom of the mural that is the underwater mountain. What do you think?

• Like 2

20170125_185248_zpsscs5oyli.jpg

I am intentionally letting coraline algae grow on the floor of the tank as it gives the simulated sand look more variation and texture.

On 1/25/2017 at 5:15 PM, teenyreef said:

I think it would look cool growing on the mountain :)

The only bad part teeny is most of the coraline is up high on the wall. I imaging over time it will grow down low where the mountain is.

• Like 3

20170125_192337_zps9kcqc4rm.jpg

I am becoming more convinced all the time that seahorses not only can tolerate high flow but that they actually like it. This is one of Eve's favorite places which is right in front of a rio powerhead.

20170125_193907_zpsj89zt7es.jpg

And this is Ruth playing white lightening in the most swift flow my tank has.

The tunze nanostream is set at full flow which is about 1500gph, the rio is 200gph and the return is about 400gph. In a 56 gallon tank that a respectable amount of flow but I never detect that the ponies are distressed by that. They have sheltered areas when they want that.

• Like 4
Polarcollision

Hi Dawn, sorry it's been a while since I've been by. Your scape is really natural with a graceful feel to it that really compliments your ponies. I'm impressed and loving it!

Reads like there's been quite the mix of sadness and joy over here too. I feel for your losses and the new family member. :-)

• Like 1
On 1/25/2017 at 5:19 PM, vlangel said:

20170125_185248_zpsscs5oyli.jpg

I am intentionally letting coraline algae grow on the floor of the tank as it gives the simulated sand look more variation and texture.

The only bad part teeny is most of the coraline is up high on the wall. I imaging over time it will grow down low where the mountain is.

That's interesting - in my tanks I tend to get coralline on the lower part of the back wall, but not so much higher up. In my little barebottom 4g tank, it's growing on the floor of the tank.

I'm thinking of going bare bottom in my new 30g frag tank, and painting the bottom with textured paint like you did. It sounds like you still like it - any advice or pointers for me?

• Like 1

A painted bottom has a very clean if not a bit sterile look. That seems even more fitting for a frag tank. It reflects light well but I am wondering if it will reflect light as well when its covered in coraline. That is not an issue for me but it might be for you. Lastly, I am extemely pleased with how all the detritus swirls at one end where it is easily syphoned out.

I am getting coraline algae on my back wall. I am leaning toward keeping it scraped off so it does not detract from the mural, or just let it grow on the bottom of the mural that is the underwater mountain. What do you think?

If it were me I would probably keep it clean. I am using a toothbrush to keep the back og my 10 gal RFA tank clean. Hoping it helps make their color POP more against a dark black background. I think keeping your little mural clean would look nice.

• Like 1

If it were me I would probably keep it clean. I am using a toothbrush to keep the back og my 10 gal RFA tank clean. Hoping it helps make their color POP more against a dark black background. I think keeping your little mural clean would look nice.

Thanks kimber for weighing in. I think that is what I am going to do.

Good luck with your RFA tank. I love them and will have to enjoy yours since they are not seahorse safe.

• Like 1

I saw something very disturbing today. KB, my royal gramma snapped at Eve today. It wasn't over food nor was Eve doing anything provoking. I can't risk that so KB is coming out. Maybe I can take him to Charlotte with me and give him to my son?

Catching him is going to be the trick. I am leaning toward using a 5 gallon bucket or 2 to remove loose coral, small rock and the ponies. That way they wont be stressed with me chasing KB around. Then with just the 2 large rock structures in the tank work on catching him. If I can't get him then I will have to remove the large rocks also into the 10 gallon tank.

RIP Sebastian

I saw something very disturbing today. KB, my royal gramma snapped at Eve today. It wasn't over food nor was Eve doing anything provoking. I can't risk that so KB is coming out. Maybe I can take him to Charlotte with me and give him to my son?

Catching him is going to be the trick. I am leaning toward using a 5 gallon bucket or 2 to remove loose coral, small rock and the ponies. That way they wont be stressed with me chasing KB around. Then with just the 2 large rock structures in the tank work on catching him. If I can't get him then I will have to remove the large rocks also into the 10 gallon tank.

If you don't want him, I'll take him.

• Like 1

Hi Dawn, sorry it's been a while since I've been by. Your scape is really natural with a graceful feel to it that really compliments your ponies. I'm impressed and loving it!

Reads like there's been quite the mix of sadness and joy over here too. I feel for your losses and the new family member. :-)

Hi polar, thanks for stopping by but you are right. I have had a mix of sorrow and joy. It was so tough losing Boaz.

I am pleased you like my scape as I respect your opinion. I went to a bb because I believe it to be healthier for ponies but I thought it was going to be a big concession. I can really blast the flow along the floor which helps keep particles in suspension. However anything that does settle accumulates together at one end to be easily syphoned out. Also the simulated sand colored bottom and the light backround of the mural really give this tank an airy feel and I am loving that. Its a nice backdrop for the gorgs and macros.

It seems like the way to go with ponies but give me a year with it to know for sure.

Polarcollision

Hi polar, thanks for stopping by but you are right. I have had a mix of sorrow and joy. It was so tough losing Boaz.

I am pleased you like my scape as I respect your opinion. I went to a bb because I believe it to be healthier for ponies but I thought it was going to be a big concession. I can really blast the flow along the floor which helps keep particles in suspension. However anything that does settle accumulates together at one end to be easily syphoned out. Also the simulated sand colored bottom and the light backround of the mural really give this tank an airy feel and I am loving that. Its a nice backdrop for the gorgs and macros.

It seems like the way to go with ponies but give me a year with it to know for sure.

I think about how it felt to lose my dog of old age, so I empathize with you over Boaz. You gave him a good life, you've learned from things you feel could have been better. It's what we can do. Beyond that, I decided to be for others what my dog was for me so that she wasn't just gone. I don't know if any of that helps... I hope so. :-)

Some of the dive videos from Florida have the open feeling of your reef. The tall shapes of gorgonians and algaes bending in currents. The browns and reds and golds. You've captured the feel.

• Like 1

I think about how it felt to lose my dog of old age, so I empathize with you over Boaz. You gave him a good life, you've learned from things you feel could have been better. It's what we can do. Beyond that, I decided to be for others what my dog was for me so that she wasn't just gone. I don't know if any of that helps... I hope so. :-)

Some of the dive videos from Florida have the open feeling of your reef. The tall shapes of gorgonians and algaes bending in currents. The browns and reds and golds. You've captured the feel.

Yes, to love is to risk loss but that is always a risk worth taking.

I snorkled at Penchamp reef but I did not see what you are describing. That is so cool, especially since my erectus seahorses' lineage probably originated from the waters of Florida or the Caribbean.

RIP Sebastian

I had asked Nate first and he wants him. :-( I know you would have given him a good home too.

That's great! He's just such a chubster! :)

• Like 1
RIP Sebastian

He is a bit on the chunky side, ha ha!

If a fish could have rolls, I'm pretty sure he would! :lol: Probably from the heavy feeding of the seahorses. Think you'll get another fish?

• Like 1

If a fish could have rolls, I'm pretty sure he would! :lol: Probably from the heavy feeding of the seahorses. Think you'll get another fish?

Yes I definitely would like another fish. Seahorses are so messy that I need a fish or two to eat the food the ponies waste.

Ocean Rider the seahorse farm where Eve came from raise captive bred bangaii cardinals (I don't think I spelled that right). I think a pair of those might be nice. They are seahorse safe plus since they are captive bred they will not have pathogens that my seahorses have not been exposed to. I would have to QT any wild caught fish about 7 weeks before I could add them.

Ocean Rider sell CB banded pipefish too, so maybe I could get a cardinal and a pipe.

• Like 1
RIP Sebastian

I never thought an additional fish would be useful for seahorses! I know Adam has some captive bred Bangaiis from time to time. I've read that they tend to do better in pairs. Pipes are cool, too.

• Like 1