Cultivated Reef

Dawn's pony garden.

vlangel

Hi Dawn,

latest video looks great as usual. I love the way you can keep that algae such a good red.

Sorry about Boaz. :(

Grand kids ... hopefully I'm still pretty far away from that stage. :D

Hi Mark,

I don't think its any particular skills that I have that keeps the algae so red - its probably just good rich pony poop that does it, LOL.

I still feel sad about Boaz but when I realized that I could have lost all 3 ponies then I recognized that I needed to be grateful for what I still have. To keep an aquarium is to always run the risk of something unforeseen and I have accepted that responsibility and risk.

Ha ha my friend, I suspect you are perhaps closer than you know! If memory serves me correct you have a son close to college age. Those college years go fast (well all except the paying for it part) and 2 of my sons married the same year they graduated from college.

• Like 1

Hi Dawn, I just finished reading through this thread, what a gorgeous tank this is! The tribute to Adam is really beautiful and touching. And I love all your seahorse decor around the tank itself :)

Sorry to hear about Boaz :( It's so sad to see Eve's and Ruth's reaction to his passing.

Congrats on the grandchild!

Thanks yoshii! This is the 3rd tank I have had in that spot of our livingroom and it is definitely my favorite. I love how overall it and its accomadating furniture fit with our house. I love the way the scape looks with the lighter painted mural behind it. I love the dimensions for seahorses. I did not expect to love the bare bottom but with it being painted it looks acceptable and I really love how clean I can keep it for the ponies. So I couldn't be more pleased with the results.

Yes it was sad to see Eve and Ruth act like that when Boaz passed. I was sad about him too, so I hurt for them as well. They grieved but then they seemed fine after that. I look forward to ordering 2 more ponies in the spring. My system can comfortably hold 4 and I just love their unique personalities. Seahorses are always welcoming to new ponies unlike other fish that are very territorial.

Thanks for the congrats on the grandbaby, we are excited!

Dawn, are you going to the Mike Paletta meeting on the 21st?

Yes, I am planning on it. Would you like a ride?

RIP Sebastian

Thanks yoshii! This is the 3rd tank I have had in that spot of our livingroom and it is definitely my favorite. I love how overall it and its accomadating furniture fit with our house. I love the way the scape looks with the lighter painted mural behind it. I love the dimensions for seahorses. I did not expect to love the bare bottom but with it being painted it looks acceptable and I really love how clean I can keep it for the ponies. So I couldn't be more pleased with the results.

Yes it was sad to see Eve and Ruth act like that when Boaz passed. I was sad about him too, so I hurt for them as well. They grieved but then they seemed fine after that. I look forward to ordering 2 more ponies in the spring. My system can comfortably hold 4 and I just love their unique personalities. Seahorses are always welcoming to new ponies unlike other fish that are very territorial.

Thanks for the congrats on the grandbaby, we are excited!

Yes, I am planning on it. Would you like a ride?

Thanks for the offer. I'll check, but I'm pretty sure I have one. See you there!

• Like 1

I am training Dave, my hubby to take care of my ponies while I am in SC taking care of my son and daughter in law's family when they come home with baby. Dave is nervous but he will do fine.

• Like 3

Well folks, baby Kolette was born last night! The first little girl in our family. I hope I know what to do with a granddaughter? I guess I will teach her to ride motorcycles and keep seahorses, ha ha! Seriously though, she is beyond precious. :-)

On another good note my vet gave me a script for diamox. Its a medication that could have helped both Adam and Boaz if I had had it. It actually is used to treat glaucoma in people because it lowers pressure but it helps seahorses lower the inbalance of pressure in their internal parts compared to the water.

• Like 9
RIP Sebastian

Well folks, baby Kolette was born last night! The first little girl in our family. I hope I know what to do with a granddaughter? I guess I will teach her to ride motorcycles and keep seahorses, ha ha! Seriously though, she is beyond precious. :-)

On another good note my vet gave me a script for diamox. Its a medication that could have helped both Adam and Boaz if I had had it. It actually is used to treat glaucoma in people because it lowers pressure but it helps seahorses lower the inbalance of pressure in their internal parts compared to the water.

Congrats on the granddaughter! I'm glad you got the Diamox, too.

• Like 1

Very happy for you Dawn. Prayers of thanksgiving for the newborn. Glad to hear all are doing well.

Thank you very much. We are so thankful for all God has done for us.

I filled the script for Diamox so now I am prepared should my seahorses get GBD in the future. Its not a sure cure and it is more effective if it is caught earlier. Having the Diamox on hand can help me begin treatment as soon as I suspect that is the problem. At least now they have a fighting chance.

• Like 1

Yay! Are you going to be at the meeting tomorrow?

I really wanted to hear Mike Paletta but my foster grandson's mom's memorial service is tomorrow at 5 pm in Charlotte, so sadly I will not make the meeting. :-(

Congrats on the granddaughter Dawn.

Thanks, I am pretty excited. I will see her in person tomorrow.
  • Like 1
RIP Sebastian

I really wanted to hear Mike Paletta but my foster grandson's mom's memorial service is tomorrow at 5 pm in Charlotte, so sadly I will not make the meeting. :-(

Thanks, I am pretty excited. I will see her in person tomorrow.

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that.

• Like 1

Would it have not been easier to just put a piece of paper or cardboard that looks like sand, rocks, etc. than actually painting?

Perhaps it might have been, but you know how it goes, I didn't think of that. I did know that I never want a glass bottom so I figured if I did not like this then I would add sand.

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that.

Yes, its so very sad for the boys. They still had not processed that she had lost her parental rights and now an even bigger tragedy. Its heartbreaking.

Just got back from the memorial service in Charlotte for our foster grandchildren. We walked in the door of our house and Dave thought something did not smell right. Sure enough as I was looking for Eve something smelled fishy. I was beginning to panic because I did not see Eve anywhere and Ruth was pale.

Thank goodness the problem was not with the seahorses or their tank. It was the feeder shrimp tank. The new batch of ghosties all died. I don't know why and its a bummer but so glad that its not the ponies. Ruth colored right up when I fed her.

• Like 1
RIP Sebastian

Just got back from the memorial service in Charlotte for our foster grandchildren. We walked in the door of our house and Dave thought something did not smell right. Sure enough as I was looking for Eve something smelled fishy. I was beginning to panic because I did not see Eve anywhere and Ruth was pale.

Thank goodness the problem was not with the seahorses or their tank. It was the feeder shrimp tank. The new batch of ghosties all died. I don't know why and its a bummer but so glad that its not the ponies. Ruth colored right up when I fed her.

Glad to know everyone is ok. Are you thinking of getting another girl or two?

• Like 1

Glad to know everyone is ok. Are you thinking of getting another girl or two?

I am, but not until after I go back down to Charlotte to help my daughter in law a couple weeks. It probably wont be until spring.

Glad they are OK that must have taken your breath away.

I was actually panicking, it was awful.

I was moving some of the smaller rocks and coral to syphon detritus when I displaced a tiny bristle worm. Before I could syphon it up Ruth tried to snick it. Its bristles must have got her because she balked. I quickly sucked it up but hopefully no harm was done. Bristle worms can be dangerous to a seahorse that attempts to eat one.

RIP Sebastian

I was moving some of the smaller rocks and coral to syphon detritus when I displaced a tiny bristle worm. Before I could syphon it up Ruth tried to snick it. Its bristles must have got her because she balked. I quickly sucked it up but hopefully no harm was done. Bristle worms can be dangerous to a seahorse that attempts to eat one.

Pardon my ignorance, but what does "balk" mean? I hope she's okay.

• Like 1

Pardon my ignorance, but what does "balk" mean? I hope she's okay.

It means she didn't follow through with the kill, she backed off. I think she will be ok because it was a tiny bristle worm. A bigger one could have caused an injury to her snout. I will be keeping an eye on her snout just to make sure it doesn't look infected.

Congrats on the new granddaughter! :)

Thanks Mark, she is a beautiful baby girl, flawless skin, petite little features and blond peach fuzz for hair. She's perfect!

• Like 1