vlangel

Dawn's seahorse garden II

Hi all, my name is Dawn and I have come to adore seahorses. I began my first tank build for seahorses in April 2014. If you are interested in my seahorse tank beginnings you can check out those threads by clicking on the links in my signature.

The latest video of my tank.

This tank is actually in honor of my stallion, Adam. He sadly passed about 3 weeks ago and is my first seahorse loss. I believe his passing may likely have been linked to me adding sand from another tank to my sandbed. That got me researching more on sandbeds for seahorses and bare bottom tanks for seahorses.

100_2951_zpsxvgpriyl.jpg

I personally am not fond of how bb tanks look, but became convinced that they are more maintenance friendly for seahorses. So I pondered ways to make a bb more palatable to me. I decided painting the bottom was the way to go. However the prospects of tearing down my current tank to paint the bottom got me wondering if a new tank was feasible. It turns out that a 56 gallon column aquarium is a very similar footprint to my current seahorse tank. That was all the encouragement I needed. I bought the tank and ordered the stand immediately.

20160929_133339_zpsacb8rdnf.jpg

The tank in preparation to paint the back wall.

20160929_074859_zpsrsh6z8wz.jpg

This is the bottom almost finished being painted. I used a valspar sandstone paint for interiors, actually the same color as my livingroom walls. It does look like sand somewhat.

• Like 8

20160929_133408_zpsnehj9qbf.jpg

Next came designing how to make it in honor of Adam.

I have a degree in commercial art but I am not a wizard with an airbrush and I am using aerosol paints. Still phase 1 went ok.

20160930_130639_zpsjbsueieh.jpg

20161003_100130_zps0d33pgsd.jpg

It got a bit dark near Adam's head but with a little rework I think I will get there. The black box on the right is to simulate the overflow box.

• Like 5

This is great, looking forward to seeing how this goes!!

• Like 1

This is great, looking forward to seeing how this goes!!

Thanks hinnenkm, I wanted something unique and I think this is it. I hope its a 'good' unique, ha ha!

• Like 2

this is such a cool and unique (good unique) idea! can't wait to see how it ends up!!

• Like 1

this is such a cool and unique (good unique) idea! can't wait to see how it ends up!!

Thanks Lizz, wow its always good to get affirmation! Thanks again.

• Like 1

TY Dawn for starting this Thread...Looks Beautiful!...It will honor Adam so nicely.

#4 Following :)

OOPS...#5

Edited by Astinus
  • Like 1

Very cool! I can't wait to see how it turns out :) sorry you lost Adam :(

Thank you fishfreak for the kind words and the condolences. I am pretty excited about it too!

TY Dawn for starting this Thread...Looks Beautiful!...It will honor Adam so nicely.

#4 Following :)

Thanks Astinus. I did not know if it was too soon to start a new thread or not but since I had pictures, I decided to do it.

• Like 1

Haha, I'm #1 suckaaaaa! :D

:-) Don't worry guys, I don't limit the number of followers, so you both can follow.
  • Like 3

:-) Don't worry guys, I don't limit the number of followers, so you both can follow.

Aww...ur 2 sweet ;):wub:

• Like 1

That is a fantastic background and a fitting tribute to Adam.

• Like 1

That is a fantastic background and a fitting tribute to Adam.

Thanks Dekon, I am reworking the area around Adam because I am hoping to improve it. I wanted him to be subtle but then I accidently got it too dark and it casted a shadow on him. I definitely did not want that. So now I am going for him 'in the light' look.

Aww...ur 2 sweet ;):wub:

Nah, you are the one who is 2 sweet! You always have something nice and kind to say to everyone. The world needs those kind of people :-).

• Like 1

20161004_134352_zpsux7zboaz.jpg

Ok, so the rework worked. The photo doesn't show it as well because of glare off the glass. I am pretty happy with it however. I need to remember that the back glass will get some algae and coraline so my mural even if it were perfect would not always look it.

So now to leak test it. I know, I know, I should have done that first. I forgot so nothing to do but pray that it doesn't leak.

• Like 6
  • Wow 1

Dawn!!! I love this! That mural is amazing and a wonderful tribute to your Adam.

• Like 1

Dawn!!! I love this! That mural is amazing and a wonderful tribute to your Adam.

Thanks so much Rachel, the pic isn't an exact representation but its not bad. I know you could do better. I haven 't done any artwork in years. Still I am pretty excited about it.

• Like 1

So I have been looking into powerheads after hearing Ben's comments on the flow in his bb tank. I would love to have the tunze 6040 with controller but its a bit rich for my blood plus that open top makes me nervous with the impellor exposed.

I am thinking a tunze 6045 is more in my budget and the flow is adjustable at least. It will be much more efficient than my rios and it is fairly small and low profile.

• Like 1

So I have been looking into powerheads after hearing Ben's comments on the flow in his bb tank. I would love to have the tunze 6040 with controller but its a bit rich for my blood plus that open top makes me nervous with the impellor exposed.

I am thinking a tunze 6045 is more in my budget and the flow is adjustable at least. It will be much more efficient than my rios and it is fairly small and low profile.

Did you already buy one? If not, I have a pair you can have.

• Like 2

Did you already buy one? If not, I have a pair you can have.

Wow Ben, thats awesome! I have not bought it yet.

• Like 3

Turned out beautifully!!!! And the "sand" kinda really does look like sand :).

• Like 2

Looks great, now get it filled with some saltwater lol

• Like 1

Turned out beautifully!!!! And the "sand" kinda really does look like sand :).

Thanks Gena. I am hoping that it casts some of that pastel magic on my coral like your tank does!

I am really liking how the painted sand turned out. But I will miss covering up bases and stuff that I don't want to show with real sand, LOL.

• Like 2