Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dawn's pony garden.

vlangel

I dont remember if i asked before but what salt do you use?

The total pet down by me in bridgeville sell reef crystals for $54 a 5 gallon bucket. They have the regular instant ocean for 52. I thought it was a mis label but they restocked the RC i bought at the same price again

• Like 1

That is a great looking stand.

Thanks Dakon, yes I am happy with how things are coming together.

I dont remember if i asked before but what salt do you use?

The total pet down by me in bridgeville sell reef crystals for $54 a 5 gallon bucket. They have the regular instant ocean for 52. I thought it was a mis label but they restocked the RC i bought at the same price again

Thanks for the tip as I do use reef crystals.

The molding really dresses up the stand!!!! Definitely transforms it from tank stand to furniture :).

Thanks Gena. That makes me feel good that you like it. Now I feel reassured that it's not too much.
  • Like 3

Ok, so I am reading the instruction on the glaze and it requires 30 days to cure. It's not to be washed before its cured.

I don't know about you folks but when I do a tank transfer I drip salt water. I really want to transfer this Friday and Saturday. So I have decided to paint the stand, let it dry. Transfer over Friday and Saturday like I planned and when the tank is stable and settled, then glaze after its set up and running. I can use drop cloths on the floor and since my water changes are done in the basement there should be minimal hands in the tank and I will be mindful of drips after it is glazed. It's not ideal but it can work. Dave is hoping the tank will be recovered from the transfer to get me ponies by Christmas!

• Like 3

Following this one. I hope to get some ponies at some point. I have an empty tank already waiting. Just need the time to devote to it.

I would love to see another N-R member who posts get ponies. I know there are folks who have ponies but they are infrequent posters. It would be nice to share in the comraderie with someone else.

The thing that helped me the most with getting into ponies was taking the free online training course run by Pete Giwojna with Ocean Rider, (seahorse.com). Its very comprehensive and it will definitely equip you. You can go through at your own pace and Pete personally answers any questions you might have. Considering your capabilities as an aquarist I have no doubt that you will do fine with ponies. I have learned some things the hard way but in general I have done alright. This tank is a result of the accumulative knowledge and experienced that I have gained the last 2 years of keeping ponies.

I will be happy to help with anything when you are ready to take the plunge.

• Like 5

I would love to see another N-R member who posts get ponies. I know there are folks who have ponies but they are infrequent posters. It would be nice to share in the comraderie with someone else.

The thing that helped me the most with getting into ponies was taking the free online training course run by Pete Giwojna with Ocean Rider, (seahorse.com). Its very comprehensive and it will definitely equip you. You can go through at your own pace and Pete personally answers any questions you might have. Considering your capabilities as an aquarist I have no doubt that you will do fine with ponies. I have learned some things the hard way but in general I have done alright. This tank is a result of the accumulative knowledge and experienced that I have gained the last 2 years of keeping ponies.

Just another reason I love this community (Forum).

So many people with such a diverse knowledge base. Eager and happy to share such knowledge.

No judging, just a desire to see Members succeed :)

• Like 2

Thanks for the tips and encouragement. It will happen someday. I just need to get a kid to move out so I can claim his room for my fish tanks.?
  • Like 1

Thanks for the tips and encouragement. It will happen someday. I just need to get a kid to move out so I can claim his room for my fish tanks.

Ha ha, yes 2 of my 3 came back home to live in the basement for a while after they graduated from college. It will happen, before you know it they will be married, moved off to another state and you will miss that time you had with them. I have 3 married sons that all live in a different state than my husband and I.

• Like 2

Stand looks great, now lets get the tank wet already :happy:

Thanks Justin. I know I am so ready to have this tank up and running. This coming weekend its gonna happen.

• Like 4

I am going over in my head how to do this transfer. Although I have done this before, one thing is different...no sand bed. That changes how the gorgs fit into the picture. They are going to need to be attached to rock and 3 of them are large enough to be top heavy. Anyway, that is tomorrow's project. Another project tomorrow in preparation of the tranfer is buying a strip outlet/surge protector and mounting it to the stand.

I took a pic of the stand all finished being painted but my photobucket acct is acting weird and haven't been able to post it. Hopefully later.

• Like 4

i saw a thing earlier about attached gorgs to rocks, drill a 1/4" hole in it and just super glue it in there

and something about peeling back the flesh where you glue it, i dont remember now

• Like 1

i saw a thing earlier about attached gorgs to rocks, drill a 1/4" hole in it and just super glue it in there

and something about peeling back the flesh where you glue it, i dont remember now

Thanks for the tips. I did not see your post until the deed was done unfortunately. I did however considered doing it that way but I did not want to impact the biological life on my two large rocks by taking them out of the tank to drill them. Most of the small rocks I used may not have held up to being drilled, they might have split. Still, I do think that is probably the best way to attach gorgs, especially big top heavy ones. When I attached the gorgs with the putty a large amount of residue comes off into the water column. I never liked that but it really concerns me with seahorses. I did one 7 gallon water change already and plan to do another this evening.

• Like 3

O my goodness, I put in the tunze 6045 powerhead tonight and took out the rios. I adjusted the flow to half and its crazy powerful. Most of the gorgonians are loving it. Eve isn't sure what to make of it but she seems comfortable. Its actually a myth that seahorses need low flow, they like hitches in low, medium and high flow areas.

• Like 4

Last night I noticed a lot of micro bubbles. I thought they were a result of the skimmer going a little nuts because of all the coral putty I had used. I put some fresh carbon in and figured that the tank would be clear this morning. It is not and now I realize that they are coming because of the tunze 6045. Will they go away after the 6045 has been in the tank awhile?

RIP Sebastian

Thanks for the tips. I did not see your post until the deed was done unfortunately. I did however considered doing it that way but I did not want to impact the biological life on my two large rocks by taking them out of the tank to drill them. Most of the small rocks I used may not have held up to being drilled, they might have split. Still, I do think that is probably the best way to attach gorgs, especially big top heavy ones. When I attached the gorgs with the putty a large amount of residue comes off into the water column. I never liked that but it really concerns me with seahorses. I did one 7 gallon water change already and plan to do another this evening.

Pics or it didn't happen. The bubbles should go away soon.

Nick

• Like 1

Pics or it didn't happen. The bubbles should go away soon.

Nick

This is not the new tank yet Nick, that will be Friday. I just wanted to see how the tunze 6045 performed and what it looked like in a tank. I recently aquired 4 new gorgs that I have not photograghed yet- the 1 I bought in Nashville and 3 I bought from a local guy(just yesterday) tearing down his tank. With me just having puttied them to rock and letting them cure the 36 gallon seahorse garden looks a little haphazard. I will take some last pics before I take this tank down because I have loved this bowfront so much.
  • Like 2
RIP Sebastian

This is not the new tank yet Nick, that will be Friday. I just wanted to see how the tunze 6045 performed and what it looked like in a tank. I recently aquired 4 new gorgs that I have not photograghed yet- the 1 I bought in Nashville and 3 I bought from a local guy tearing down his tank. With me just having puttied them to rock and letting them cure the 36 gallon seahorse garden looks a little haphazard. I will take some last pics before I take this tank down because I have loved this bowfront so much.

Oh! Woops. Pics though. I expect them...

Nick

• Like 1

Aargh I missed the start of your new thread! Is the transfer on for this weekend?

Actually I started tearing down the bowfront this morning and I worked on setting up and moving everything into the 56 column tonight. I am just finished now. I am really pleased with it although making an aquarium without sand look natural is challenging. I will undoubtedly do lots of tweaking in the coming weeks. PIcs tomorrow hopefully!

• Like 3

20161029_081639_zpsubbibqg1.jpg~original

First photos folks! The moonlight LEDs are on and I have never been able to take pics in my other tanks under that lighting. The light backround in this tank makes the LEDs much brighter so I can actually photogragh while they are on. I love the subtle effect of Adam in the mural with the LEDs!

• Like 15