Top Shelf Aquatics

Dawn's pony garden.

vlangel

It doesn't get cyano and that is a big plus. It does get a film coating that needs wiped once a week or so but then with seahorses, all the surfaces should be wiped once a week anyhow.

They really are a commitment! Kudos to you!!! I know I wouldn't be able to maintain the husbandry that is required for them.

The advantage of transferring tough and sturdy softies is a week later the tank can look like its been up for months. Most of my coral are nearly bullet proof cause I would have already killed them by now if they weren't, ha ha!

For sure! Someone on instagram asked me how long my tank has been set up. It's only been 4 weeks but it looks like it's been up for years. Softies are awesome :).
  • Like 3
RIP Sebastian
On 11/18/2016 at 9:52 AM, vlangel said:

20161118_114350_zpsms14l1pg.jpg

Hey everyone, there are 'little' ponies in a 'big' tank!

They look even smaller in there! How is Eve taking to them?

• Like 1

They really are a commitment! Kudos to you!!! I know I wouldn't be able to maintain the husbandry that is required for them. For sure! Someone on instagram asked me how long my tank has been set up. It's only been 4 weeks but it looks like it's been up for years. Softies are awesome :).

My tank went up just after yours, I think. You and I can sing the praises of softies together!

They look even smaller in there! How is Eve taking to them?

They really do look tiny in the display tank. LOL, I threw some of the ghost shrimp in the tank to help Ruth and Boaz transition, well Eve is snickin' em down just as fast as she can. I am not even sure she has noticed that she has roommates!

• Like 2
RIP Sebastian

My tank went up just after yours, I think. You and I can sing the praises of softies together!

They really do look tiny in the display tank. LOL, I threw some of the ghost shrimp in the tank to help Ruth and Boaz transition, well Eve is snickin' em down just as fast as she can. I am not even sure she has noticed that she has roommates!

Seems like something she would do, haha! Have they been able to eat any of it?

Nick

• Like 1

Seems like something she would do, haha! Have they been able to eat any of it?

Nick

No, they basically found comfortable hitches and have not moved. I am wondering if the flow is more intense than they are used to? I will give them more time to settle in but if they don't move around some then I will reduce the flow of the tunze 6045 and gradually move it up to full blast. I plan to turn both powerheads off while they are offered frozen mysis anyway.

Ruth attempts to get Eves attention by saying, " hey, here I am, my name is Ruth, hey, here I am!

Boaz on the other hand just sidles up and says, "hey baby, want to get to know me better!"

I think I better have a talk with Boaz and tell him which lady is his! He seems to be out of his league!

• Like 10

Boaz is quite persistent, and apparently NO does not mean no to him. This morning he is hitched next to Eve on her favorite gorg. I am feeling sad for Ruth who is all by herself.

• Like 7

Boaz is quite persistent, and apparently NO does not mean no to him. This morning he is hitched next to Eve on her favorite gorg. I am feeling sad for Ruth who is all by herself.

YOU CAN'T CHOOSE WHO YOU LOVE!!

He's just into older ladies ;)

• Like 6

YOU CAN'T CHOOSE WHO YOU LOVE!!

He's just into older ladies ;)

Doesn't he know that he was already betrothed to Ruth? LOL Although even I will agree that I would not like an arranged marriage!

The little ponies are doing wonderful. Both of them ate pretty well today in the big tank. They have no trouble at all with the flow and they are not getting lost either. In fact I think they both like this tank a lot! I could not be happier with how they adjusted to the big tank.

• Like 10

Ruth and Boaz eat very well from the turkey baster. I have both powerheads on a strip outlet and I turn them off when I am feeding the little ponies. Then when I think they have eatten their fill and wasted enough mysis I turn the powerheads back on. Its amazing how effectively the flow from the PHs lifts all the uneatten mysis into the water column.

• Like 3

Yes, Eve is definitely warming up to at least one of the kids, Boaz! I saw her pointing (a courtship cue where a seahorse points its nose upwards)to Boaz. They hooked tails and did a little stroll around the tank. He is so little compared to her however that he basically gets dragged along. I suspect that it will be months before he can be a real mate.

Ruth seems oblivious to it all which is good because I don't think she feels left out or anything.

• Like 7

Ruth may still be a late blooming juvenile and it might have been premature to name her Ruth as its possible that 'she' is a 'he'! I will have to make a name change to Reuben if that is the case.

• Like 4

Ruth may still be a late blooming juvenile and it might have been premature to name her Ruth as its possible that 'she' is a 'he'! I will have to make a name change to Reuben if that is the case.

Would it be a good thing if she was a he? Are you thinking of trying to raise anymore babies?

• Like 1
RIP Sebastian

Yes, Eve is definitely warming up to at least one of the kids, Boaz! I saw her pointing (a courtship cue where a seahorse points its nose upwards)to Boaz. They hooked tails and did a little stroll around the tank. He is so little compared to her however that he basically gets dragged along. I suspect that it will be months before he can be a real mate.

Ruth seems oblivious to it all which is good because I don't think she feels left out or anything.

She's robbing the cradle!

Oh my... Did someone say, "Awkward love triangle!"?

• Like 3

Would it be a good thing if she was a he? Are you thinking of trying to raise anymore babies?

I would prefer 2 females and 1 male but it is not a bad thing if its 2 males and 1 female. Seahorses do not have the aggression of other marine fish so any amount of seahorses in any combination of genders is ok. Males are just a bit more delicate than females which is why I would prefer more girls than boys.

I am not thinking of raising anymore fry atm but I kept my 30 gallon XH tank and stand just in case. It could make a pretty good tank to house a nursery tank. I have a HOB skimmer and pump so all it would need is a very cheap clip on light fixture. Its a lot of work and really ties you down so I know I would not be doing it any time soon.

• Like 4

She's robbing the cradle!

Oh my... Did someone say, "Awkward love triangle!"?

Yes, she is robbing the cradle indeed. Of course her options at this point are limited!

I guess its my fault for setting the ponies up for an awkward love triangle by having 3 ponies and 2 genders. It was bound to happen! Actually seahorses are pretty amiable about such things. If I end up with 2 stallions there might be a little tail wrangling to see who gets the girl, but the loser will be gracious about it. If I end up with 2 mares, Boaz will choose his favorite and the loser will still be gracious. You just have to love seahorses for their peaceful natures!

• Like 3

I know you said you dont have the time to raise baby ponies but i would love to see you log it and and do it :) How many babies do seahorses have normally? :wub:

When I first got Adam and Eve they had a batch of fry within the first month. That first batch was small, like 36 but he had some batches after that were in the 100s!

Doc you might be waiting awhile for that log of me raising more baby seahorses so if you want to read my last experience of me raising seahorse fry, click on the link in my signature: DAWN'S SEAHORSE GARDEN. The fry were born around October 30, 2014 but that was fairly early in that thread. Start reading on page 5 for pretty much a play by play. If you read that you will probably understand why I am not anxious to do it again any time soon, although it was very very rewarding.

• Like 1

I can't believe it, my sweet Eve is a cougar! She is at this moment teaching Boaz everything he needs to know about the courtship dance. Boaz is an apt pupil if I might add. :-)

• Like 7