Coral Vue Hydros

Dawn's pony garden.

vlangel

I am leaning towards moving Ruth and Boaz into the display with Eve today when the lights come on, (I want to video the big moment!). I worry about them being in the 10 gallon QT, not having the redundancy of the DT.

I am a little worried about feeding them in the DT but that was some of my reasoning for adding the powerhead. I can put more food than normal in and then just syphon the uneatten portion out since it collects all in one place. I will put both powerheads on a switch and turn them off at feeding time and only run the the return pump while they are eating.

• Like 5

Well, I have been cautioned by a more experienced seahorse keeper than myself to give them 1 more week in the QT. Bummer, but as they put it...better safe than sorry.

• Like 4
RIP Sebastian

Well, I have been cautioned by a more experienced seahorse keeper than myself to give them 1 more week in the QT. Bummer, but as they put it...better safe than sorry.

Aw... Well, you do know best. Also, how can anyone be more experienced than you? Haha.

• Like 1

Aw... Well, you do know best. Also, how can anyone be more experienced than you? Haha.

Actually I am kind of new compared to some of the other keepers I talk to. One has more than 12 years of experience compared to my measly 2 years!

At least they should be in the display by Thanksgiving. I think I will shoot for Sunday afternoon.

• Like 4
RIP Sebastian

Actually I am kind of new compared to some of the other keepers I talk to. One has more than 12 years of experience compared to my measly 2 years!

At least they should be in the display by Thanksgiving. I think I will shoot for Sunday afternoon.

Great! I'm pretty sure that they'd be fine because of you, but... better safe than sorry! XD You'll also be able to remember the anniversary, too!

• Like 1

First video of the 56 gallon tank. My tablet has gone deaf so I picked the music by how long it was but I did not get to hear it. Ooooh, its a bit repetitive so you might want to mute it. Actually this video is almost 4 minutes so don't feel like you have to watch it all. Eve hams it up so I would watch til then.

• Like 11

Little Boaz and Ruth are eating better every day now. Boaz sucked up the mysis as soon as it left the turkey baster. They still hide more than I would like but they are coming along nicely.

• Like 2

That video is awesome Dawn. Your tank is looking great. Cant wait for the two new horses to go in.

Thanks Justin. I feel like everything handled the transfer very well. There is still a tiny bit of cyano stuck on some of the gorgs but in general everything is looking full and healthy.

I am really beginning to love this tank from a maintenance stand point. It is perfect for seahorses! The plan is to move Ruth and Boaz Sunday evening after the lights go down to blues only. That should help them feel less stressed. Hopefully I can video it.

• Like 1

Thanks Justin. I feel like everything handled the transfer very well. There is still a tiny bit of cyano stuck on some of the gorgs but in general everything is looking full and healthy.

I am really beginning to love this tank from a maintenance stand point. It is perfect for seahorses! The plan is to move Ruth and Boaz Sunday evening after the lights go down to blues only. That should help them feel less stressed. Hopefully I can video it.

Ill be waiting for the video. BB makes life so much easier.

• Like 1

I agree...very naturally beautiful! Think Eve will be thrilled to have some friends?

Ah thank you! I am so pleased that you and JayPagi thinks it looks natural because one of my problems with going to a bb tank was I was afraid that it would not look natural. I guess having all those mature mushrooms attached to the rock work helps.

I sure hope Eve will be thrilled to meet Ruth and Boaz. I am excited about moving the babies to the big tank.

• Like 1

One thing kind of odd about Ruth and Boaz. I have not really seen them swim. They just kind of slither along the bottom. Maybe that is because the mysis sinks there, idk? I hope there is nothing wrong with them?

Ah thank you! I am so pleased that you and JayPagi thinks it looks natural because one of my problems with going to a bb tank was I was afraid that it would not look natural. I guess having all those mature mushrooms attached to the rock work helps.

I sure hope Eve will be thrilled to meet Ruth and Boaz. I am excited about moving the babies to the big tank.

The paint you used totally gives the illusion of sand. I think it looks better than sand, honestly. And I'm not a fan of BB tanks. But this is perfect :).
  • Like 2

The paint you used totally gives the illusion of sand. I think it looks better than sand, honestly. And I'm not a fan of BB tanks. But this is perfect :).

It doesn't get cyano and that is a big plus. It does get a film coating that needs wiped once a week or so but then with seahorses, all the surfaces should be wiped once a week anyhow.

• Like 1

Looks very nice! I think the Seahorses will appreciate their new lodgings :)

Thanks Nano, I definitely think this tank is well suited to the needs of seahorses. If I were not keeping ponies I would no doubt design it more natural and less sterile but I am really pleased with this tank for my herd. It has safe hitches every where in varying flows. It has height for courtship and it is easily maintained to significantly reduce detritus.

Jazzy. :) Tank is looking good and already everything looks happy, like it's been setup for months.

Jazzy aye? I like that description. :-) The advantage of transferring tough and sturdy softies is a week later the tank can look like its been up for months. Most of my coral are nearly bullet proof cause I would have already killed them by now if they weren't, ha ha!

• Like 3