Top Shelf Aquatics

Dawn's pony garden.

vlangel

5 hours ago, RIP Sebastian said:

Looks great! I just can't get over Delilah's cirri. :)

I know, I love it.  It is so long that it moves in the flow which is so cool.

• Like 1

I took some pics this morning with just the moonlight LEDs on.  The tank has a surreal atmosphere that I love.

2018-03-11_03-35-40

2018-03-11_03-36-07

2018-03-11_03-36-54

2018-03-11_03-37-55

I pull a chair up and drink my coffee in front of the tank every morning like this.

• Like 6
10 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Haha, Whiplash looks a little grumpy!

Do you mean Jammies, the pajama cardinal?  Whiplash is a late riser and never gets out of bed until 9:30 am or so.  Jammies always looks grumpy, ha ha!

9 hours ago, JBM said:

sweet set up you have here....

I like it

Thanks JBM for the kind words.  I like it too.

Dawn, I'm one of those aspiring seahorse keepers you've mentioned, and this thread is definitely inspiring! The tank is gorgeous, and exactly what I would like in the future! Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us! 

48 minutes ago, Maddie said:

Dawn, I'm one of those aspiring seahorse keepers you've mentioned, and this thread is definitely inspiring! The tank is gorgeous, and exactly what I would like in the future! Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us! 

Hi Maddie, If or when you are ready to set up a seahorse tank, feel free to ask any questions you might have.  I will be happy to help.  And thanks for checking in.

Thank you! It'll be quite a while before I'm anywhere near ready, but when,I am, I'll be sure to take you up on it! 

Oh, and Delilah's cirri is absolutely adorable!

• Like 1
11 hours ago, vlangel said:

Do you mean Jammies, the pajama cardinal? 

On 3/10/2018 at 7:50 PM, vlangel said:

2018-03-10_08-33-15

Whiplash is so bold and never shy!

That's the face I make when I get woken up too early. I'm like Whiplash and I like to sleep in! 

• Haha 2
20 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

That's the face I make when I get woken up too early. I'm like Whiplash and I like to sleep in! 

Especially with this daylight savings crap. Mornings are rough

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
11 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Ok, I see what you mean.  If looks could kill, ha ha!

• Haha 1

Speaking of Whiplash, I caught the little stinker attacking Jammies totally unprovoked.  I can see that Jammies's lower fins are shredded so I had to take action.  Who knows when Whiplash would turn on the ponies.

I have a 22 oz diy soda bottle trap.  Usually fish are hesitant to enter in it to get food.  Ha ha, not my greedy little Whiplash.  He just charged right in, so now the poor guy is in the 5.5 AIO tank.  I may try to re-home him in my local club.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Wow 2

Aw, I'm sad Whiplash wouldn't behave.  He's so cool looking and has so much character.  I'm glad you grabbed him before any of the ponies got hurt though.

• Like 2
On 3/15/2018 at 9:18 PM, sublunary said:

Aw, I'm sad Whiplash wouldn't behave.  He's so cool looking and has so much character.  I'm glad you grabbed him before any of the ponies got hurt though.

I know, I am sad too.  He really is a cool fish with a ton of personality.  He was eventually going to stress to death or outright kill one of his tankmates though.  I will keep him in the shrimp tank for awhile before I make a decision.

I have my bibs hatchery going for Ying and Yang.  They are both getting thinner.  I saw a feeder where bbs are put in a container, (in my case a small jelly jar) and covered with a tightly woven material like panty hose.  Then the mandys can come and feed.  I am trying it.  They havent found it yet but I expect it wont be long.  Anyway its my hope that it will supplement their diet enough so they can flourish.

26 minutes ago, sublunary said:

Fingers crossed for you. I hope they take to the brine shrimp. 

Thanks, me too.  I am feeling a little irresponsible for getting 2 mandarins but my tank was full of pods and I have a sump with lots of live rock and a fuge that is well established. On top of that I seeded it with 3 bottles of pods.   I totally underestimated how many pods they eat.

I am beginning to get some cyano on my sanded which is a bummer.  I am noticing that a new rock that I got out of my dark QT also has a bit of an algae rust color on it.  None of the very mature rock that has been in the tank for ages has anything on them, nor do the coral or macros.  I've been stirring the sand everyday but maybe I will shorten the light phase too and quit using the moonlight leds.

Hoping everything stabilizes for you, because the sand really does look good. I'm going through another round of diatoms from all the new sand i used during my sump transfer. Sand is a PITA sometimes, but love the look and the benefits it brings. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Dos Ocho said:

Hoping everything stabilizes for you, because the sand really does look good. I'm going through another round of diatoms from all the new sand i used during my sump transfer. Sand is a PITA sometimes, but love the look and the benefits it brings. 

Thanks Dos Ocho!  I figure that I just need to continue to vacume and sift the sand until the biolife catches up. It might be diatoms in my tank too since it was new dry sand.

This weekend Whiplash got rehomed to a local reefer at my club.  He will live the high life in a 225g.

Now that the 5.5g is fishless, I caught Ying and moved her into it.  I will feed her bbs once a day but I can also try earnestly to get her on frozen mysis easier than the seahorse tank without the risk to the seahorses.

Yang is still in the seahorse tank but now with one less mouth to feed hopefully the tank can keep up with his demand.  If I am successful with training Ying, then I will try to train Yang too.  If I didn't try something I am going to lose them both.

• Like 2

I just love love love this tank! The pictures with the new phone are fantastic, too. Sorry about Whiplash, but how is little Jammies? Recovering? 

• Like 2