ReefCleaners.org

Dawn's pony garden.

vlangel

In Flickr, do the bbcode and paste it in. But you can only get bbcode from your computer, it doesn't work in their phone app :(

Thanks teeny, that explains why I couldn't get it to work.

• Like 1

Adam is watching over her. So beautiful. So ethereal

When I saw that photograph I couldn't believe how it really looked like Adam was watching over Eve.

Amazing, adam looks great in the background.

Thanks, I was happy with it.

• Like 2
On 10/29/2016 at 6:05 PM, vlangel said:

20161029_145827_zpsid8vtecn.jpg

Another pic featuring Eve.

Love it! Your depiction of Adam is just beautiful :wub:

On 10/29/2016 at 8:31 PM, vlangel said:

Thanks teeny, that explains why I couldn't get it to work.

It's really the only downside of using Flickr. And it would be so easy for them to fix, but apparently it's just not very high on their list of things to do.

Btw, I love the look of the tank in the full room shot.

• Like 1

The new tank is looking really good! I like the minimalistic scape.

Thank you! LOL the minimalist scape is a happy accident...it turns out when you put a scape from a 36g tank into a 56g tank it turns into more of a minimalist scape. I have more rock but I don't want the mural lost and I want courtship space for the ponies. I may try to raise one of the rock structures up off the glass because I wished they weren't the same height. I think that would look more interesting.

• Like 1

Love it! Your depiction of Adam is just beautiful :wub:

It's really the only downside of using Flickr. And it would be so easy for them to fix, but apparently it's just not very high on their list of things to do.

Btw, I love the look of the tank in the full room shot.

Thanks, the pic of Adam looks better with the rock in the tank, it helps pull it all together. As an artist I am capable of better. I never was accomplished with airbrush techniques however, and considering I did that with aerosol paints I am satisfied.

I am really glad that I painted the stand. Our livingroom has been getting lighter over the years and the tank when the lights are on is really light. I am very pleased with how it looks in the room.

Looks awesome.

So I may or may not now have a tank, stand, lights and rock for a pony palace.

O wow, that would be so cool if you got ponies!
  • Like 2
On 10/29/2016 at 12:09 PM, vlangel said:

20161029_145541_zpsfc6etlsq.jpg

A FTS with stand and surrounding end tables and wall.

I love the giant seahorse above the tank! And the tank itself looks lovely - can't wait for it to be stocked with ponies again. Are you going to get the same type of seahorses and pipefish as before, Dawn? :)

• Like 1

I love the giant seahorse above the tank! And the tank itself looks lovely - can't wait for it to be stocked with ponies again. Are you going to get the same type of seahorses and pipefish as before, Dawn? :)

I love the seahorse wall hanging too. Dave's brother and sister in law bought that for me.

I also am excited to get it stocked with some new ponies. I plan to get the same specie of seahorse, H erectus but I will get them from a different supplier.

Captive bred pipefish are only sold by Ocean Rider and I plan to get a pair after the ponies settle in.

• Like 4

I love the seahorse wall hanging too. Dave's brother and sister in law bought that for me.

I also am excited to get it stocked with some new ponies. I plan to get the same specie of seahorse, H erectus but I will get them from a different supplier.

Captive bred pipefish are only sold by Ocean Rider and I plan to get a pair after the ponies settle in.

It truly looks lovely!

Looking forward to the growth and progress of this tank then. And am also looking forward to the new ponies and pipes. :happy:

So thrilled to see the transfer went so well Dawn! This came together so nicely! I really love that beautiful background featuring Adam. It is just stunning! I also love how the stand turned out and it all just looks so wonderful surrounded by the fun seahorse accessories and art. What a nice centerpiece! Eve looks so happy in that last photo too! I can't wait to see her with some new friends in her spacious, new home. :)

• Like 1

So thrilled to see the transfer went so well Dawn! This came together so nicely! I really love that beautiful background featuring Adam. It is just stunning! I also love how the stand turned out and it all just looks so wonderful surrounded by the fun seahorse accessories and art. What a nice centerpiece! Eve looks so happy in that last photo too! I can't wait to see her with some new friends in her spacious, new home. :)

Thanks Felicia! I am happy how the transfer went. It was an unexpected surprise to see how small the same rockwork looked in a bigger tank, LOL. I always admired a minimalist scape and now I sort of have one! I do feel it all looks too symetrical though so when Eve and KB seem totally settled I may change things up a bit with the scape.

The stand turned out real nice. I was going to glaze it for a french provincial look but I am rethinking that because I like it as it is. A plus for having a bigger stand is now I can keep my feeder shrimp underneath and out of sight but still have them handy to feed.

The whole aquarium set up is pretty much the focal point of our livingroom/diningroom. It is excellant dimensions for seahorses and I really could not be more pleased with the finished product.

• Like 2

20161031_140041_zpswzt91ix0.jpg~original

I know I said that I was going to wait to work on a new scape but it was bugging me and so I went ahead and did it. I like it better because I got rid of the 2 symetrical mountains and also I feel that now the mural of Adam is incorporated into the scape better.

• Like 12
RIP Sebastian
On 10/31/2016 at 11:08 AM, vlangel said:

20161031_140041_zpswzt91ix0.jpg~original

I know I said that I was going to wait to work on a new scape but it was bugging me and so I went ahead and did it. I like it better because I got rid of the 2 symetrical mountains and also I feel that now the mural of Adam is incorporated into the scape better.

I CANNOT wait to see it this weekend!

Nick

• Like 1

Love it! I agree, it looks better than the two equal sized islands. This one looks more balanced, ironically.

Ha ha, I know, it is ironic. Its funny how 2 large rocks pushed together to look like one could look balanced with 1 seashell and 1 small rock pushed together. I think the overflow box being on that side also factors in.

Super slick. :wub:

Thanks slowtwitch, Eve thinks so too.

:wub:

LOL, I guess you approve?

Oh wow!!!! That turned out AMAZING!!!!! And it even looks like sand :). It's absolutely perfect...all of it!!!!

Thanks gena! I was surprised myself how good it looked. I am pleased with the painted bottom and it is going to make seahorse husbandry much easier. I will probably have a rio powerhead that I can turn off and on easy and just blast the rock work and bottom 2Xs a week.

• Like 2

I like the new scape. Hows everything handling the transfer, most importantly Eve.

Thanks Justin, I like it even more than I imagined. Some of the gorgs were stressed but today I added alkalinity since it was a bit low and everything perked up! Eve is settling in pretty well. This afternoon she ate her frozen mysis like a champ and now she is hunting down live brine shrimp. Even KB was a bit weirded out at first but he ate live food yesterday and sucked in a few frozen mysis today so I would say that it is good.

I am making water for a WC tomorrow. I tested a little ammonia today, 0.125 ppm. I am not worried as that is about what I got in my 2 prior transfers but seahorse are more sensitive to ammonia than other fish.

• Like 1

Since I was doing a WC anyway, I decided to clean out the sump. That basically involves moving all the macros and rock into buckets with syphoned out water. Then I clean the sides and surfaces of everything. Finally I vacume the bottom and refill with freshly made salt water. Replace the macro and rock and its good to go.

This is in preparation of ordering new ponies soon. :-)

• Like 6

Since I was doing a WC anyway, I decided to clean out the sump. That basically involves moving all the macros and rock into buckets with syphoned out water. Then I clean the sides and surfaces of everything. Finally I vacume the bottom and refill with freshly made salt water. Replace the macro and rock and its good to go.

This is in preparation of ordering new ponies soon. :-)

How many more do you plan to get?

• Like 1

It will either be 2 or 3 more. I am a little nervous getting 3 when the tank has been lightly stocked. That is a big difference going from 1 seahorse to 4! I am beginning to feed Eve a little more, (and she is all about that) to prepare the tank to carry a heavier bioload. Also I would like pipefish eventually too. They also are dirtier so I should probably get 2 more seahorses and 2 pipefish.

How many more do you plan to get?

• Like 3

I can really understand now why seahorse keepers have bare bottom tanks. I can see any debris on the floor of the tank and it is very easily syphoned up or basted into the water column to be filtered out. It should overall definitely be a cleaner system.

• Like 6