Cultivated Reef

Dawn's pony garden.

vlangel

18 hours ago, vlangel said:

Thanks Felicia.  I feel like the tank now looks like something a diver might see.  You would know about that!  I really like the multi-level look.

Yes, I agree that some tall gorgs would be great on the plateau.  No money for gorgs since I just got the 4 new fish last night at a lfs.  I hope the seahorses stay healthy and happy.  I am pushing my comfort zone with sand and fish.

It does! That's what I mean by natural. Something you'd see when diving. :) It's a very neat concept and I love how you've executed it! Most of us just lay out sand down in one level, so I love seeing things done a bit differently.

Oh yes! I did see you got new fish! How are they settling in today? I love Mandarin gobies, so I'm excited to see those guys in your tank! Actually I just love your taste in fish. As you know, YWG's are one of my favorites and it sounds like we both grabbed us some interesting cardinalfish. I've never had one before but I believe they're supposed to be easy, so I hope that's the case. I'm hoping mine will eat pellet/flake food once he settles in. I have frozen food on hand, but to make my life easier I prefer to feed pellets and flakes most of the time. You'll have to let me know how yours does!

37 minutes ago, Felicia said:

It does! That's what I mean by natural. Something you'd see when diving. :) It's a very neat concept and I love how you've executed it! Most of us just lay out sand down in one level, so I love seeing things done a bit differently.

Oh yes! I did see you got new fish! How are they settling in today? I love Mandarin gobies, so I'm excited to see those guys in your tank! Actually I just love your taste in fish. As you know, YWG's are one of my favorites and it sounds like we both grabbed us some interesting cardinalfish. I've never had one before but I believe they're supposed to be easy, so I hope that's the case. I'm hoping mine will eat pellet/flake food once he settles in. I have frozen food on hand, but to make my life easier I prefer to feed pellets and flakes most of the time. You'll have to let me know how yours does!

I love mandarin gobies too.  I had one waste away when I had a 90 gallon tank so I am nervous.  I actually set up my baby brine shrimp nursery.  The female is a bit skinny.  I am going to buy some tisbe pods too.

The watchman is eating great.  I had them feed it in the store.

My pajama cardinal fish looks super healthy but I have not seen it eat yet.  I have some fish frenzy and I will try that.

• Like 1

Well, I enticed the pajama cardinal fish with some Fish Frenzy! The yellow watchman also went for it.   I am feeling optimistic about those 2.

The mandarins often go in a little cave so that is where I will squirt live bbs when they hatch in hopes in seeing them eat.

• Like 4

Awww!  That mandarin is a cutie!  I'm sure you've got this!  You've kept these seahorses alive and well long term.  By comparison, mandarins should be easy. :D

Great news on the other fish eating already!  That's always a good sign!  I was super excited that Batman (my new black cardinalfish) went for some flake food tonight.  Woohoo!  

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Felicia said:

Awww!  That mandarin is a cutie!  I'm sure you've got this!  You've kept these seahorses alive and well long term.  By comparison, mandarins should be easy. :D

Great news on the other fish eating already!  That's always a good sign!  I was super excited that Batman (my new black cardinalfish) went for some flake food tonight.  Woohoo!  

I feel like once you get them eating, you are over the big hurdle. Great news on Batman!

I need to name my new buddies.  I will have to think about that for a while.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

That mandarin is beautiful. I've always wanted one, but after watching a scooter blenny whither away I just don't trust myself to try again.

I know what you mean.  I am really fretting over the mandys.  Today I ordered 3 bottles of tisbe pods.  2 for the display and 1 for the fuge.  They will be here between this Friday and next Wednesday.

• Like 3

Some good news and bad news about the new fish residents.  I set up my baby brine shrimp hatchery and they were ready today.  I fed the tank and I saw one of the mandys doing a lot of pecking.  That was encouraging.  Also the pajama cardinal definitely like fish frenzy!

The bad news is the watchman had a white place on its back.  Now it is darkish red and most likely the beginnings of a bacterial infection.  It would really be stressful on all the inhabitants for me to try and catch it so I am just going to do extra water changes so the water is as clean as possible.  He's eating great so hopefully his immune system will deal with it.

17 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Fingers crossed the watchman can kick it on its own?

6 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Yay for the Mandy and cardinal! Boo hoo for the watchman

Sadly, the watchman did not make it. ?

• Sad 9
3 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Sometimes reefing just sucks!

Yes it does.  I saw the mark on its back at the lfs.  We had travelled so far to get captive bred fish and I really wanted a goby with a frowny face.  It was against my better judgement so I guess I should not be really upset.  He was eating so well that I had hoped that he could beat it.

I have settled on names for the new fish.  The mandarins are Yin and Yang, and Jammies is the Pajama Cardinal.

I was expecting 3 bottles of tisbe pods to arrive to bolster the copepods in the seahorse system.  I saw they were out for delivery but when they arrived there was only 1 bottle.  To the credit of the company where I got them, they are immediately sending 3 more and today's bottle is complimentary.  2 of those will go into the DT but the 3rd bottle will go into the sump for propagation of more pods.

I do think that Yin is filling in a little.  She was pretty thin.  I also have hatched live bbs.  Yang is bigger than her and was nicely filled out to start with.  I have no idea how one knows if a tank has enough pods to support mandarins.

• Like 4

I got some major gha on the codium in the seahorse tank.  I need to do a deep clean so I will remove the codium and manually remove as much of the gha as possible.  Then I will move it to the sump where there used to be a small hermit.  I don't know if its still kickin' or not.  I need to move coral and rock in the seahorse DT to get at detritus.  I knew this new scape would be more challenging.  Hopefully as the sand grows life and adds biological filtration everything will eventual balance out.  Its not terrible but in a seahorse tank a little algae today is tomorrow's pea soup, ha ha!

• Like 2

I did clean the seahorse display but when I saw Yin and Yang in the codium picking around I decided not to move the codium to the sump.  Maybe they are getting pods out of the gha.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Better safe than sorry while yin and yang are getting acclimated! How did it go with the first bottle of pods?

I could see pods in the bottle but of course once I poured them into the tank I never saw them again.  I have always seen pods walking on the glass even before I added the tisbes.

• Like 1

Dave felt bad that the watchman goby died so he took me again to the lfs to pick a fish,

2018-02-24_07-38-10

which I did, in fact I picked 3!  The big pajama cardinal is Jammies who I bought last weekend.  The 2 little ones are new.  They are P & J.

• Like 3