Pod Your Reef

Tuffryu's IM Fusion 10: SPS McLovin

Tuffryu

22 hours ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

My sicce .5 sometimes fails to turn on after feeding the tank.   I've found that if I remove it once a month and give it a good scrubbing this solves the issue.

Yup...mine too

3 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Shrimp tank looks like a fun project. 

Any new FTS pictures of the IM10?

Hi Dave,

the tank is a bit in shambles right now as I've been moving/removing frags and placing them on the ground to prep for the new rock swap. Hopefully the cycle will finish soon. 

• Like 1

Tank is a hot f***ing mess right now but thought I'd take some shots anyways.

FTS

26536636888_c333b54fae_b.jpg

The frag rack - full.

Left to right: purple pocillopora, purple seriatopora, purple acro, green pocillopora, stressed and dying orange monti, green acro

39696958104_f20479db1f_b.jpg

Bunch of crap on the ground: digis, sparklers, etc.

39511002815_0b29a0f02d_b.jpg

• Like 2

New rock has FINALLY cycled, yay! 

26635389908_2e4f4aebde_b.jpg

I can't lie - swapping the rock was stressful. I had to down a couple of glasses of wine to build up the confidence.

I've been removing (and breaking) corals off the rock this past few weeks and putting them on the sand.

Here's the before

26635390058_4ce9cbe163_b.jpg

During...

26635390248_959e0a9436_b.jpg

26635390318_35720dc658_b.jpg

And after...

26635389808_96ce8fe78b_b.jpg

I went to town with the glue and started sticking things everywhere I thought made sense. The fish were stressed and going crazy as expected.

The frag rack finally comes out, I was able to scrape/clean areas of the glass I couldn't before, and even did a water change in the process. 

38696082980_e9af100f92_b.jpg

I have to admit it, this felt great and has definitely made me a much happier reefer. The old rock with zoas and mushrooms everywhere is finally gone and I have a clean canvas to work on.

In many ways this has re-inspired me to do work on the tank again and yes...spend even more money on coral frags. Will let things settle to see how things do this week.

Happy Monday!

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...

New residents.

Green tort of some kind.
40732433772_124a0db3d9_b.jpg

Purple digi40732433572_fbd543aa28_b.jpg

Everything seems to be doing good. Can't keep up with calcium to save my life. 

38696082980_e9af100f92_b.jpg

Happy Monday.

3 hours ago, dferrari13 said:

Looking good...love the new rock work...hang in there

Thanks!

Took a while to get the rock right but yea, there's probably 90% less rock on the actual sand now. 

Yeah I wish I could do the same....the footprint of my rockscape is a little more than I intended... I will definitely rethink my rockscape for my next tank.....cuz at some point id love to go bigger....maybe a red sea reefer

On 3/13/2018 at 1:03 PM, dferrari13 said:

Yeah I wish I could do the same....the footprint of my rockscape is a little more than I intended... I will definitely rethink my rockscape for my next tank.....cuz at some point id love to go bigger....maybe a red sea reefer

It's definitely something that takes planning, thats for sure.

I ended up sacrificing a few things to achieve this, but it was worth it.  RS reefer 28 looks like a nice tank. I'm more a lagoon guy myself, so if I upgrade it would be an IM. 

When's the new tank project starting?  :)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Looking good. I struggled to keep Ca and Alk stable in my fusion 10, upgrading to a 40B. If I set my fusion 10 back up Ill go with much less rock and probably all soft coral. I love the little fusion 10g, but I used too much rock and the mixed reef was challenging to keep all corals happy in such a small tank. 

Love the GSP on the back wall!

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Drew11 said:

Looking good. I struggled to keep Ca and Alk stable in my fusion 10, upgrading to a 40B. If I set my fusion 10 back up Ill go with much less rock and probably all soft coral. I love the little fusion 10g, but I used too much rock and the mixed reef was challenging to keep all corals happy in such a small tank. 

Love the GSP on the back wall!

There's no doubt the 10 is small and having a mixed reef I'm finding is hard as I'm learning that even within the SPS types it is difficult as the conditions required vary. I have multiple SPS frag types and what one water condition does well for one, it does bad for another. The larger volume tanks help because they're simply more stable. 

The goal for me is to move to a lagoon 25.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Tuffryu said:

There's no doubt the 10 is small and having a mixed reef I'm finding is hard as I'm learning that even within the SPS types it is difficult as the conditions required vary. I have multiple SPS frag types and what one water condition does well for one, it does bad for another. The larger volume tanks help because they're simply more stable. 

The goal for me is to move to a lagoon 25.

Yep - my IM10 is constantly changing and I have to check alk every single night because the amount I need to dose can change a LOT in just a week or two.

• Like 1
On 4/11/2018 at 8:00 PM, teenyreef said:

Yep - my IM10 is constantly changing and I have to check alk every single night because the amount I need to dose can change a LOT in just a week or two.

The thing is Teeny, I don't test like that - as I simply can't lol. I'm doing 1-2 tests weekly. Probably why your tank looks so much better than mine!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Switching salts.

40613285315_63097b314c_b.jpg

Bird's next on far right was starting lose tissue so i had to cut him up and glue him back together. LFS says the pavona next to it could have been sweeping him. Something I definitely need to learn is neighboring corals and what does best next to each other.

41723077941_c12fa2159b_b.jpg

Acro polypy..

41723072821_b99fe2987c_b.jpg

Fluffy...

41682882572_fb80910962_b.jpg

Had to toss some frags on the bottom that just weren't looking well. Time to go shopping. Too much open room on the floor.

41682881642_67c1b7a46c_b.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TOURING said:

everything is looking great!

Thanks man!

I'll admit, there are some things that aren't doing as great as others and I've lost my fair share of frags - but as bad as it sounds I'd rather lose frags than colonies. 

• 2 weeks later...

New chalice frag is kinda cool - dark green with light green polyps.

Threw the bird's nest out that was in the same spot as it wasn't looking great after fragging and moving him.

41411712954_0f8195211a_b.jpg

Side view. Purple plating monti seems happy even though he's at the bottom.

40324970440_e1f0bf3825_b.jpg

My fish never come out lol. 

40324971000_a81d7cdc4d_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Recent FTS

I think the corals like the new salt (Red sea blue) better than the RS Coral pro. 

28822675678_3a66c7afd1_b.jpg

Side project 🙂

4gal "walstad method" bowl. No filter, no CO2, just heater and light.

40886976140_b3791beff7_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

So I love vacationing, but hate coming home because I always face some mechanical failure that ultimately ends up with some loss.

My orange monti that was growing wonderfully is going down. The ATO failed at some point during my 2 week vacation and the water in the back chambers (where the dosing tubes are) didn't make it into the main part of the tank. The specific gravity was also pretty high at 1.29, so I quickly filled the tank with freshwater and got some water ready for a change.

I've run into this sensor problem a couple of times where the it's covered with calcium film and it fails to detect the water level. 

Yea, it sucks.

42337645385_8843f00ccd_b.jpg

The orange plating monti on the left is also losing tissue, but I'm hoping it makes a come back 😞

What's odd is the acros and purple monti are perfectly fine. The pocilloporas were closed but once the salinity was corrected they were back open.

41431764580_990521a389_b.jpg

I hate reefing sometimes.

Newest addition to the bowl project is happy atleast.

41431938500_242055983c_b.jpg

• 1 month later...