Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tuffryu's IM Fusion 10: SPS McLovin

Tuffryu

Top shot (Oct 2017)

23886526508_46cb596148_b.jpg

FTS (May 2017)

33644432213_466347bbe6_b.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes...another IM 10 thread. Sorry folks.

Brief history, I started with a pico reef in a Fluval spec lll which ran very well so I upgraded to an Eheim Aquastyle 9gal cube. The cube also ran very well and it was the first venture into sps and other stonies. From there, I went thru a shallow tank phase and went with an ADA 60f.

After realizing the major benefits of having in-tank filtration system, I've decided to move over everything (yet again) to an IM 10 Fusion using all of my equipment from previous set ups. Teeny's reef also was a big inspiration.

So here we go.

The set up and equipment plan

• Innovative Marine Fusion 10 gallon
  • Nanobox reef tide M
  • Ecotech Vortech MP10
  • Jabeo 4 pump dosing system
  • Smart ATO Micro
  • Aqueon 50 heater Finnex 50
  • Red Sea Coral Pro Salt
  • Skimmer by Mame Eshopps Nano
  • Floss and chemipure blue
  • Nature's ocean bio activ live aragonite (10 lbs)

Dosing

• Bionic Calcium (daily)
  • Bionic Alkalinity (daily)
  • Reef Plus (weekly)
  • Red Sea No3/phosphate remover (sometimes)
  • Reefroids (weekly)
  • Acropower (weekly)

Tank came in a few days ago.

I find the label kinda funny - some stock broker on the phone with reef on his desk :)

29399730993_d284e08368_h.jpg

Excellent quality tank. This sock filter thingy that it came with sucks and it just wont work. Don't see myself using this so I went ahead and ordered a custom caddy media basket.

29943076091_362b8e042c_h.jpg

Here's the current ADA 8.6gal shallow with the inhabitants that I'm planning to transfer. It's a decent mix of acros, digitatas, caps, poscillaporas, pavonas and stylos along with some LPS and a couple of softies.

FTS: October 1, 2016

29398603624_b12392d34f_h.jpg

Old tank shot from the Eheim cube. I think about 85% survived moves and are still with me today.

FTS: February 25, 2016

24879372729_224b4a609f_h.jpg

Waiting for the stand to come in along with the skimmer and other stuff. Will keep you all posted. Thanks for visiting.

• Like 5

Leak test done. All good.

30054691915_b98f001550_h.jpg

Mame skimmer in.

This thing is pretty delicate. Good thing my wife was able to translate Japanese :)

I've never ran a skimmer on previous tanks so this will be new. Will need to understand how much nutrients are depleted I assume.

29427146614_1324427a17_h.jpg

• Like 1

Stand in.

Fairly basic cabinet ordered off amazon. The width/depth is perfect fit for the tank. The back of the tank will hang off about 1/2 inch.

29475946504_800380bbf7_h.jpg

29809391160_afad9f87aa_h.jpg

Pretty much ready with equipment now, so I just need a day to set up and transfer.

• Like 2

Water test post. Boring I know. Need to lower calcium dosing a little, but everything else looks pretty decent.

Planning the tank move this weekend.

29497199544_6c0d9b6411_h.jpg

• Like 1
Michael_Price

Stand in.

Fairly basic cabinet ordered off amazon. The width/depth is perfect fit for the tank. The back of the tank will hang off about 1/2 inch.

29475946504_800380bbf7_h.jpg

29809391160_afad9f87aa_h.jpg

Pretty much ready with equipment now, so I just need a day to set up and transfer.

Coming along well! I like your setup, very clean simple look!

• Like 1

Coming along well! I like your setup, very clean simple look!

Appreciate that Michael, thanks!

The stand is tall enough to house all the crap that comes along with the tank so I'm happy. Drilled holes in the back last night and it should work out okay.

• Like 1

Howdy Tuffryu,

Nice looking setup and I'm jealous :P

I'm just curious if you had the name/link for the cabinet("stand") you bought off Amazon.

I was thinking about building a stand, but this one looks pretty nice and wouldn't take as much time :P

Thanks,

Tony

Howdy Tuffryu,

I'm just curious if you had the name/link for the cabinet("stand") you bought off Amazon.

I was thinking about building a stand, but this one looks pretty nice and wouldn't take as much time :P

Thanks,

Tony

Hi Tony,

the stand I bought is here:

https://www.amazon.com/Elegant-Home-Fashions-Chesterfield-Collection/dp/B0014AFG2W/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_12?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=N9F27Y1K54FFP41FH5YQ

There's a white version in the same model as well.

Howdy Tuffryu,

Thanks,

Tony

Target got it on sale for $65. Use coupon HOMESALE to take another 10% off.

Target got it on sale for $65. Use coupon HOMESALE to take another 10% off.

Damn, that's a good deal! I missed out on that one!

Custom caddy in.

This thing is nicely made I have to say.

30058513482_a147772601_h.jpg

Salt in.

30058513642_f47d0e1699_h.jpg

And finally live sand in.

29543996533_c9be5c9d79_h.jpg

Boom. It's ready.

29544131714_fd2b04db65_h.jpg

• Like 2

Transfer went well.

The hardest part was making the scape look decent in a cube coming from a landscape shallow tank. I had to throw frags anywhere and everywhere for the moment.

30214385915_42ec093285_h.jpg

I had a pistol shrimp, but decided to trade him in as I don't have the goby anymore. I liked the shrimp, but he moved the sand entirely too much and the sand bed would end up looking like small mountains.

2 frags for the price of 1 shrimp. Not bad. Purple acro and some fatty stylo frags.

Revive dippin, and you get to see all of the wormy things swim out.

30214383225_6116934785_h.jpg

FTS October 8, 2016

I was gluing stuff like crazy. Anywhere there was space. Got the Mame skimmer started as well. I think I'm going to run the skimmer at night but wanted to know if anyone else does that - run their skimmer partially?

30129318171_b64d1f3721_h.jpg

I keep telling myself that I need a real camera. iPhone isn't doing the tank justice. Trying a new camera app with some prefilters ,but I probably need more practice.

30102044282_2a04395a1c_h.jpg

30216532325_4bd8a954b0_h.jpg

Still need to hook up the micro ATO but first need to find a container that will fit in the cabinet.

That's all I have for you folks. Happy Sunday!

• Like 3

I'm glad the transfer went well!

You could try the Adobe Lightroom app for the iPhone. They just added native RAW support for the iPhone and the app is free. Because it shoots in RAW, you can make the white balance a lot better in Lightroom on the phone after you take the picture.

• Like 2

I'm glad the transfer went well!

You could try the Adobe Lightroom app for the iPhone. They just added native RAW support for the iPhone and the app is free. Because it shoots in RAW, you can make the white balance a lot better in Lightroom on the phone after you take the picture.

Good call, will check out the app and repost better shots. Transfer went good for now, but shock may come later. We'll see, thanks!

• Like 1
Cencalfishguy56

Good call, will check out the app and repost better shots. Transfer went good for now, but shock may come later. We'll see, thanks!

use a cereal Tupperware container for your ATO reservoir, that's what I do
  • Like 1

use a cereal Tupperware container for your ATO reservoir, that's what I do

I'll look into, thanks fishguy. The stand I have is what I'm trying to fit it into.

Wallmart sells this 3.5G jug that looks like a mini 5G jug for the water dispenser.

The Smart Micro ATO pump fits into that and you dont have to worry about the water for a couple weeks.

Walmart also has a couple small containers that hold 1g and 3g. They are relatively narrow. Here's the 1g:

24011105946_8872bdcaa7_b.jpgATO Bottle by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Here's the 3g:

15495959273_8342932cda_b.jpgIM10 ATO bottle by TeenyReef, on Flickr

The 3g usually lasts almost two weeks with my IM10.

Yes I was looking at these on Amazon Teeny. I don't think they'll fit into the cabinet I have. The space/size I'm looking for is 6w x 12L x 7t. It's a bit odd so I may have to find something that'll just fit.

What are the dims on the 3gal? and does the reservoir need to be airtight?

This is what I'm looking at currently. Size is just right but some reviews say it's not airtight. Not sure if that's important or not.

• Like 2