SaltCritters.com

Tuffryu's IM Fusion 10: SPS McLovin

Tuffryu

Good luck! I check alk every day until it seems like it is stable, then I check at least twice a week until it starts getting out of whack again. Lather rinse repeat :)

That's why you are the Master ;)

• Like 2

Not judging from the acros in my 10g :unsure:

But I have learned a lot by making lots and lots of mistakes :)

It's all about the acros IMO. I find that I can pretty much grow any small polyp such as digis, caps, pavonas, and others...but acros is the challenge that I want to take on. Reef on teeny.

• Like 2
reefernanoman

It's all about the acros IMO. I find that I can pretty much grow any small polyp such as digis, caps, pavonas, and others...but acros is the challenge that I want to take on. Reef on teeny.

Same here bud. I've been pretty successful with my montis and now I've taken the Acro challenge head on. I also screwed up before with Alk by raising it too high

• Like 2

Same here bud. I've been pretty successful with my montis and now I've taken the Acro challenge head on. I also screwed up before with Alk by raising it too high

This'll be fun atleast reefer! We have a few of us here at the same time, same level, looking for the same challenge. Let's keep the learning communications open as much as possible. Would like to hear what works for you guys in the smaller tanks.

I have to say, I literally just tested Alk now at 8dKH and everything looks really happy. I'll try to keep this going at this level to see what happens.

This'll be fun atleast reefer! We have a few of us here at the same time, same level, looking for the same challenge. Let's keep the learning communications open as much as possible. Would like to hear what works for you guys in the smaller tanks.

I have to say, I literally just tested Alk now at 8dKH and everything looks really happy. I'll try to keep this going at this level to see what happens.

Now the tricky part is this whole dirty water thing. I don't get it. Some SPS love higher nutrients while others don't. I don't think the acros like the dirtier water IMO, but would like to hear what you guys are witnessing. The acros in my tank like clean water, while the LPS like dirty stuff lol.

• Like 2
reefernanoman

Honestly I took a big gamble by trying out 7 Acros all at once ($15-$25 range). I should have tried out one cheap one first, but I'm committed now. What messed me up last time was the lack of testing. Now I test my Alk at least twice a week, my CA at least once a week and my Mag once in a while. Also the automatic dosing has helped significantly keep my parameters stable. Let's do this! I know that my Alk consumption will go up now with the additions.
  • Like 2

Honestly I took a big gamble by trying out 7 Acros all at once ($15-$25 range). I should have tried out one cheap one first, but I'm committed now. What messed me up last time was the lack of testing. Now I test my Alk at least twice a week, my CA at least once a week and my Mag once in a while. Also the automatic dosing has helped significantly keep my parameters stable. Let's do this! I know that my Alk consumption will go up now with the additions.

Go big or go home lol.

That price is reasonable. I stay in the $10 range mainly because I'm still a newb. I think I'm testing Alk 3-4 times a week right now after the transfer.

You're doing good reefer. Live and learn is the name of this damn hobby.

• Like 1
reefernanoman

Hey Teeny,

My API test kit was very incorrect. I'm going to keep using this test kit until it runs out and will run 2 -3 tests back to back to compare until it's gone. It's unfortunate but API is probably good for initial cycling and nothing beyond that.

Thanks Michael.

Yea it is way to difficult to keep up with levels by manual dosing. The challenge is that dosing pumps all do something a little different and so you have to keep an eye on the amount going in on a day by day/week by week basis. I'm only interested in small polyp corals so it makes things even more difficult.

Reefer, I'm wondering if you have more small polyps than I do :)

I honestly have no interest in keeping anything else besides sps as I want to get rid of all of my other stuff eventually.

That's exactly what I did in my fusion 10G. I removed anything that is not an SPS so that I don't have to worry about LPS and softies trying to kill my SPS with chemical warfare. 100% SPS domination.
  • Like 1

That's exactly what I did in my fusion 10G. I removed anything that is not an SPS so that I don't have to worry about LPS and softies trying to kill my SPS with chemical warfare. 100% SPS domination.

I think i need to fire up the fluval spec 3 (2.6 gallon) and move all that stuff over there. It's weird - I really liked the flowing stuff before and movement that some softies and large polyps did, but I'm all about the sticks now. Lame but true.

hahahaha.

• Like 1
reefernanoman

I think i need to fire up the fluval spec 3 (2.6 gallon) and move all that stuff over there. It's weird - I really liked the flowing stuff before and movement that some softies and large polyps did, but I'm all about the sticks now. Lame but true.

hahahaha.

I went through the same thing pretty much. After adding more SPS and fuzzy ones like the screaming green birdsnest, I miss them less.
  • Like 1

Testing.

30494975320_41642bbf73_h.jpg

Changing.

30759351626_bef2bc5f9b_h.jpg

The Mame skimmer must be working. I feed daily, reefroids twice a week, and acropower twice a week - while NO3 is 0. Changing water anyway as it's been a couple of weeks. I'm finding that after a WC, it's vital to drop Alk dosing by a ml or 2. The RS coral pro salt consistently maintains good Calc/Alk levels. Good stuff.

• Like 1

Awesome tank and build! I'm looking to do some upgrades to my tank as well, I am just curious on how you route the ATO water lines to the back of the tank and what you used to secure the water lines to the back chambers. any way you can take pics to show? thanks

• Like 1

Awesome tank and build! I'm looking to do some upgrades to my tank as well, I am just curious on how you route the ATO water lines to the back of the tank and what you used to secure the water lines to the back chambers. any way you can take pics to show? thanks

Thanks Fishdoo, appreciate the comments!

So the ATO water line is hanging freely in the back. I would probably use some zip ties to hold it in place when I can get to it. I have a hole drilled in the back where the water line goes into. The power is plugged into a strip that sits inside the cabinet and the power to the strip is the only line that goes out of the cabinet into the wall.

For my tube holder, I use the Vertex model which sits in chamber 3 of the fusion10. I'll take pics of that as well, but below is an older shot of my previous tank with the holder in place. It's a great, clean looking holder with some etremely strong magnets.

24617973545_c6980af3ff_h.jpg

23991178543_86f7565a22_h.jpg

Every experienced reefer I've heard from on this recommended against Ph buffers.

Ph is more of a parameter that you should track just to see if something is changing from what's normal for your tank. I have a Ph probe in both my tanks, and Ph regularly swings from about 7.9 to about 8.1 through a 24 hour day/night cycle.

• Like 2

yea dude, don't chase ph numbers. if it remains stable you will be fine. I also have 7.8-8.0 ppm readings. you will be fine especially since it looks like you dose alkalinity.

Every experienced reefer I've heard from on this recommended against Ph buffers.

Ph is more of a parameter that you should track just to see if something is changing from what's normal for your tank. I have a Ph probe in both my tanks, and Ph regularly swings from about 7.9 to about 8.1 through a 24 hour day/night cycle.

yea dude, don't chase ph numbers. if it remains stable you will be fine. I also have 7.8-8.0 ppm readings. you will be fine especially since it looks like you dose alkalinity.

Word.

• Like 1

I really should stop buying stuff and let things grow out, but... I don't.

Purple acro for $10 is too good to pass up. Please excuse the bleached cap. It's growing back and starting to encrust on the rock, promise.

30868875796_6d8e7fa15d_h.jpg

• Like 1

New green acro frag. Another $10 steal.

30929688682_7ce9f96ee7_h.jpg

Moving stuff around.

The birds nest at top wasn't extending much and I figured it was probably getting too much light so I moved him down to the sand and moved the mixed color digi frag in it's place. Looks decent. I need to stop buying shit.

30929692982_657f9ff7e4_h.jpg