Top Shelf Aquatics

Tuffryu's IM Fusion 10: SPS McLovin

Tuffryu

Some better tank shots. Found a 1.5 gallon water reservoir which fits perfectly and have the micro ATO up and running again.

A few pieces are going through some slow tissue necrosis/bleaching in a few spots from the move unfortunately, but hoping they come back. The acros and montis are doing great, which is really what I care about most :)

30205344602_7012ae671f_h.jpg

30235394571_4400bbd80a_h.jpg

29690920594_fa5691f024_h.jpg

HAPPY FRIIIIDAAAYYYYY!!!!

• Like 2

Looks nice! Everything is so well organized and out together. I have the same kind of container in a 5g size, but I didn't know there was a smaller size.

• Like 1

Looks nice! Everything is so well organized and out together. I have the same kind of container in a 5g size, but I didn't know there was a smaller size.

Haha, well thank you. I certainly take that as a compliment coming from you Mr. organization! Yea the smaller container fits perfectly under the cabinet. I haven't tested it for silicates or anything like that, but hoping it won't be a problem.

• Like 1
reefernanoman

Some better tank shots. Found a 1.5 gallon water reservoir which fits perfectly and have the micro ATO up and running again.

A few pieces are going through some slow tissue necrosis/bleaching in a few spots from the move unfortunately, but hoping they come back. The acros and montis are doing great, which is really what I care about most :)

30205344602_7012ae671f_h.jpg

30235394571_4400bbd80a_h.jpg

29690920594_fa5691f024_h.jpg

HAPPY FRIIIIDAAAYYYYY!!!!

Nice! How much 2part are you dosing? ESV by the way? I'm currently at 2ML of part A and 2ML of part B nightly.

Nice! How much 2part are you dosing? ESV by the way? I'm currently at 2ML of part A and 2ML of part B nightly.

HI reefer. Thanks.

Yea the 2 part is by ESV. I have calcium dosing in through out the entire day - totaling 10ml - it's about 1ml every hour and half the lights are on. Alkalinity is dosing at nights starting at 12:30 am - totaling 9ml. I use seachem Magnesium reef salt in the ATO reservoir.

I stopped dosing Red Sea No3 remover as the nitrates are untraceable atm, and some corals aren't digging the clean water unfortunately. Will probably need to stop skimming for a little while as well.

• Like 1
Cencalfishguy56

No wonder these guys are so pricey.

yea if you look online they are sold out every where and I never see them in any of the LfS near me! I want a golden accessor

yea if you look online they are sold out every where and I never see them in any of the LfS near me! I want a golden accessor

Interesting.

I really wanted something non-main stream and small. These guys NEVER show up in 'top reef fish' lists and it's too bad cause they're fantastic to watch.

Mine was $80 and totally worth it.

• Like 2
Cencalfishguy56

Interesting.

I really wanted something non-main stream and small. These guys NEVER show up in 'top reef fish' lists and it's too bad cause they're fantastic to watch.

Mine was $80 and totally worth it.

exactly, and that's a hell of a deal I've seen them for $100+
  • Like 1
reefernanoman

HI reefer. Thanks.

Yea the 2 part is by ESV. I have calcium dosing in through out the entire day - totaling 10ml - it's about 1ml every hour and half the lights are on. Alkalinity is dosing at nights starting at 12:30 am - totaling 9ml. I use seachem Magnesium reef salt in the ATO reservoir.

I stopped dosing Red Sea No3 remover as the nitrates are untraceable atm, and some corals aren't digging the clean water unfortunately. Will probably need to stop skimming for a little while as well.

Wow that's a lot. Is your Alk and CA at normal levels? That's how I almost nuked my entire tank (by dosing too much). My Alk is at 9.4dkh and CA is at 380ppm. And that's with a whole bunch of SPS frags.

Wow that's a lot. Is your Alk and CA at normal levels? That's how I almost nuked my entire tank (by dosing too much). My Alk is at 9.4dkh and CA is at 380ppm. And that's with a whole bunch of SPS frags.

Alk is at 10dKH.

Calc is 480.

• Like 1

Above tank shot.

30242099520_11efca099c_h.jpg

Added chemipure blue over the weekend and water changed about 15%.

Frag rack pic.

30504221636_9035dd3403_h.jpg

This digi is pretty awesome. Green, red and orange frags stuck together.

30504222076_efd263f0a6_h.jpg

I'm not sure what these are called - zoas of some kind. I never take photos of them, and I like the orange ones better. Hardy though.

30504221246_d15580e92a_h.jpg

I'm starting to look into getting a point and shoot camera. These iPhone pics suck. Let me know if you have suggestions.

Happy Monday everyone!

• Like 2

Latest FTS: 11-1-16

30607218712_0748e95d46_h.jpg

The bleaching has stopped on everything which is good. I wasn't sure if the tank move was the issue so I had my LFS test Alk and sure enough it was pretty high - almost 12dKH. Brought it down to 9 and everything looks good with extension. Basically, the tank was going through alk burn :(

The stylo and monti caps still show some signs, but they recovering. *phew

The monti cap at the bottom right was buried under the sand and it took the snails to dig him up to find him. Good job guys. lol

30091526184_7efeaccd84_h.jpg

• Like 2
reefernanoman

Latest FTS: 11-1-16

30607218712_0748e95d46_h.jpg

The bleaching has stopped on everything which is good. I wasn't sure if the tank move was the issue so I had my LFS test Alk and sure enough it was pretty high - almost 12dKH. Brought it down to 9 and everything looks good with extension. Basically, the tank was going through alk burn :(

The stylo and monti caps still show some signs, but they recovering. *phew

The monti cap at the bottom right was buried under the sand and it took the snails to dig him up to find him. Good job guys. lol

30091526184_7efeaccd84_h.jpg

Awesome! How long have you had those Acros in there? Do you dose?

This tank is coming alone great, & dosing on such a small tank, Props! Very clean set up!

Don't be surprised about dosing in such a small tank. If I don't dose daily, my alk will drop significantly. Not even the weekly water change helps. I have a ton of SPS so that's the main reason. I also have the same exact tank (Fusion 10G)

• Like 1

I'm glad things are getting better! Was your Alk test kit incorrect, or do you always get it tested at the lfs?

Hey Teeny,

My API test kit was very incorrect. I'm going to keep using this test kit until it runs out and will run 2 -3 tests back to back to compare until it's gone. It's unfortunate but API is probably good for initial cycling and nothing beyond that.

This tank is coming alone great, & dosing on such a small tank, Props! Very clean set up!

Thanks Michael.

Yea it is way to difficult to keep up with levels by manual dosing. The challenge is that dosing pumps all do something a little different and so you have to keep an eye on the amount going in on a day by day/week by week basis. I'm only interested in small polyp corals so it makes things even more difficult.

Awesome! How long have you had those Acros in there? Do you dose?

Don't be surprised about dosing in such a small tank. If I don't dose daily, my alk will drop significantly. Not even the weekly water change helps. I have a ton of SPS so that's the main reason. I also have the same exact tank (Fusion 10G)

Reefer, I'm wondering if you have more small polyps than I do :)

I honestly have no interest in keeping anything else besides sps as I want to get rid of all of my other stuff eventually.

• Like 2

I think your SPS are probably getting ready to take off. When mine hit that stage, my alk consumption went through the roof, even in my 4g tank. It's not so much about how many SPS you have, it's whether they've hit the point where they like the conditions and decide to start growing. When they do, they can grow crazy fast. And if you aren't on top of the alk dosing when that happens, you can end up with the alkalinity going super low in just a few days.

And then the SPS don't like the sudden alk change, and they all stop growing. And because the dosing was increased in response to the sudden drop, the alk spikes. And then they all die because they don't like alk spikes. And that's the end of my sad SPS story :lol:

Seriously, though, if you just stay on top of it, there's no problem. But you'll definitely have to start dosing because keeping alk stable is the key to getting SPS to grow.

On the API test, I have one too, and I've checked it against my other tests, and it's just as accurate. I'd guess yours may have gotten old. Even if it's not expired, once it get opened up, the reagents can go bad in months. In fact, the API alk test is one of the few API tests that seems to be just as good as the other brands.

But it's always good to have two different kinds of alk tests to check against eachother, or check against the lfs every month or two.

• Like 3

I think your SPS are probably getting ready to take off. When mine hit that stage, my alk consumption went through the roof, even in my 4g tank. It's not so much about how many SPS you have, it's whether they've hit the point where they like the conditions and decide to start growing. When they do, they can grow crazy fast. And if you aren't on top of the alk dosing when that happens, you can end up with the alkalinity going super low in just a few days.

And then the SPS don't like the sudden alk change, and they all stop growing. And because the dosing was increased in response to the sudden drop, the alk spikes. And then they all die because they don't like alk spikes. And that's the end of my sad SPS story :lol:

Seriously, though, if you just stay on top of it, there's no problem. But you'll definitely have to start dosing because keeping alk stable is the key to getting SPS to grow.

On the API test, I have one too, and I've checked it against my other tests, and it's just as accurate. I'd guess yours may have gotten old. Even if it's not expired, once it get opened up, the reagents can go bad in months. In fact, the API alk test is one of the few API tests that seems to be just as good as the other brands.

But it's always good to have two different kinds of alk tests to check against eachother, or check against the lfs every month or two.

Good call on the multi test kits. I'm not sure why, but I will say 70% of the API tests are accurate - I think. But I will have another test kit on hand in the future to compare against. Alk is a tough element to keep in check. I understand why lots of people check every day as it swings.

Good call on the corals ready-to-grow. I've heard of this outburst of growth and it's happening with a few acros (I just thought I was lucky). Thanks as always for your advice and guidance.

• Like 2

Good luck! I check alk every day until it seems like it is stable, then I check at least twice a week until it starts getting out of whack again. Lather rinse repeat :)

• Like 2