inTank Media Baskets

Nuvo 30L Build - (Is my tank magic? Because its making money disappear..)

Michael_Price

Hello everyone, I'm new here and this is my first post! But I have been on these forums doing research for a few months now. Let me start by saying I had a 50 Gal saltwater reef tank with a 20 Gal sump about 7 years ago. I was young, & did not really know what I was doing and did it all on a tight budget. So this time I'm going to do it right.

Here is my build so far! Any recommendation on what test kits I should get and what I should watch for most? I have been out of the hobby too long :wacko:

I plan on keeping a few fish, 3-5 fish trough time. And a clean up crew, some crabs, snails, etc. And eventually a Red Star Fish would be a nice touch! That would be way down the road of course. I want to make the tank easy to maintain with hardy fish and coral.

For coral I just plan on having LPS and Softies. Im just wanting to stick with simple stuff that won't require a $800 lighting system fingerscrossed

Im excited to get this tank up and running :naughtydance:

Build List:

DIY ATO

Nuvo 30L Tank

Orbit Marine Pro 36"

Tunze 9001 Skimmer

Ehime Ebo Jager 100Wat Heater

One Jebao PP-4 Wavemaker

30lbs Live Rock
15lbs Live Sand

Livestock:

Clown Fish

Midas Blenny

Six Line Wrasse

Blood Shrimp

Peppermint Shrimp

6 Turbo Snails
6 Zebra Spotted snails

10 Hermit Crabs

Purple Feather Duster

Red Feather Duster

Anemone:

Bubble Tip Rainbow Anemone (Now two!!)

Sebea Anemone

Clam:
Tiger Stripe Clam

Coral:

Galaxy Coral Frag
Galaxy Coral Colony
Green Star Polyps - GSP
Purple Star Polyps

Kryptonite Candy Cane

Several Mushroom Types
Toadstool Leather
Green Mouth Octospawn

Green Leather

12/13/16

IMG_2819_1.jpg

11/13/16
a71a7821-27e5-43e8-a2e0-0ec9e7e2d437.jpg

10/28/16

2686a64c-35dd-43f9-83ba-373283acfa45.jpg

10/15/16
ae5d5650-f0c8-4d72-a203-3ab88b742bf5.jpg

Week Two - 10/5/16

b9e58ebc-c4eb-468f-baf4-58d95417d977.jpg

Week One - 9/30/16
806423db-4d5c-40cc-ac00-0f5a1d46fdb2.jpg

• Like 5

Hello everyone, I'm new here and this is my first post! But I have been on these forums doing research for a few months now. Let me start by saying I had a 50 Gal saltwater reef tank with a 20 Gal sump about 7 years ago. I was young, & did not really know what I was doing and did it all on a tight budget. So this time I'm going to do it right ha ha.

I started the tank cycle a few days ago, have a little over a week to go before adding a fish and cheap coral to test the waters. Here is my build so far! Any recommendation on what test kits I should get and what I should watch for most? I have been out of the hobby too long :wacko:

I plan on keeping a few fish, 3-5 fish trough time. And a clean up crew, some crabs, snails, etc. And eventually a Red Star Fish would be a nice touch! That would be way down the road of course. I want to make the tank easy to maintain with hardy fish and coral.

For coral I just plan on having LPS and Softies. Im just wanting to stick with simple stuff that won't require a $800 lighting system fingerscrossed

Im excited to get this tank up and running :naughtydance:

Build List:

Nuvo 30L Tank

Orbit Marine Pro 36"

Tunze 9001 Skimmer

JBJ ATO W/Tom AW pump

Ehime Ebo Jager 100Wat Heater

One Jebao PP-8 Wavemaker (200 - 2000 GPH)

Week One - 9/30/16

806423db-4d5c-40cc-ac00-0f5a1d46fdb2.jpg

:welcome:

I, too, have a 30L. I recommend no more than 4 fish in a 30. For test kits, I love the quality of the Red Sea kits. The one thing I have to say is that I know you say you won't want SPS.... but you will. Trust me. The Orbit really isn't gonna cut it. I recommend Nanobox, AI Prime HD, or Ecotech.

Good luck,

Nick

:welcome:

I, too, have a 30L. I recommend no more than 4 fish in a 30. For test kits, I love the quality of the Red Sea kits. The one thing I have to say is that I know you say you won't want SPS.... but you will. Trust me. The Orbit really isn't gonna cut it. I recommend Nanobox, AI Prime HD, or Ecotech.

Good luck,

Nick

Ha ha yeah. I have a feeling that could happen. For now the Orbit Pro should do what I need for a while, and maybe in the future ill look at some better options. If anything I'm thinking the Maxspec Razor. But I saw many 36inch long tanks with the regular Orbit marine and coral softies no problem. But I can't find any long time reviews on the Orbit Marine Pro which is the newer stronger version. So I'll give it a shot and see how it works in the long run. Fingers crossed fingerscrossed

This is the tank that made me think "Ok if he can run this for a year with the regular orbit and coral, the orbit pro should be great" And since we only have a 13 inch depth tank we can get away with some slightly weaker options. But of course I know if I ever want some SPS ill have to option one, Get a better light. Option two, add a second LED Light bar. I'll cross that bridge in the future :happy:

Ha ha yeah. I have a feeling that could happen. For now the Orbit Pro should do what I need for a while, and maybe in the future ill look at some better options. If anything I'm thinking the Maxspec Razor. But I saw many 36inch long tanks with the regular Orbit marine and coral softies no problem. But I can't find any long time reviews on the Orbit Marine Pro which is the newer stronger version. So I'll give it a shot and see how it works in the long run. Fingers crossed fingerscrossed

This is the tank that made me think "Ok if he can run this for a year with the regular orbit and coral, the orbit pro should be great" And since we only have a 13 inch depth tank we can get away with some slightly weaker options. But of course I know if I ever want some SPS ill have to option one, Get a better light. Option two, add a second LED Light bar. I'll cross that bridge in the future :happy:

Ok. Just keep in mind that the tank is narrower.

Nick

RIP Sebastian

Absolutely. And the Red Sea Kit, is there a certain one you use that you get online?

The ones you'll need are the Marine Care test kit and Reef Foundation.

• Like 1

Welcome! There's a few of us here starting out the 30L. Lots of us in the same shoes as you, did something (or at least tried a few years ago) and now want to make it right ;)

Good luck with your tank, I also went wet this week and now I'm just making sure cycle is done so I can start adding stuff. Been salivating at the LFS ;)

I look forward to seeing your success

• Like 1
Michael_Price

Welcome! There's a few of us here starting out the 30L. Lots of us in the same shoes as you, did something (or at least tried a few years ago) and now want to make it right ;)

Good luck with your tank, I also went wet this week and now I'm just making sure cycle is done so I can start adding stuff. Been salivating at the LFS ;)

I look forward to seeing your success

I am pretty excited to get going with a few fish and coral myself! So far no algae growth or signs of a good cycle. (but its only been running for a week so far :P ) Picking up a test kit tomorrow to start testing the water. I got the Tunze 9001 set up today with my heater and ATO. Hopefully the wave maker power head will arrive in the next day or two via FedEx and I can play with it and get positioned right. Then all thats left is fish and coral! After a good water test of course :D

Michael_Price

Some goodies Arrived today! My dog thought they were for him, but quickly lost interest when he realized nothing had a squeaker in it for him to chew on.

My Orbit Marine Pro 36 Inch
IMG_2525.jpg

IMG_2528.jpg

Must say I'm Impressed with the light actually, Its super bright. Almost too bright. I'll have to play with the settings and get it fined tuned on a schedule before I add anything to to the tank. but ill leave as is for the cycle.

IMG_2542.jpg

IMG_2529.jpg

IMG_2530.jpg

IMG_2539.jpg

Seems to cover front to back no problem, but I did scoot it a tad farther forward on the tank as thats where most my coral will be.

IMG_2546.jpg

I set up the Tunze 9001 in the base of the sump system, that is where it happen to fit best although its not really where I wanted it. I was hoping it would fit in the second baffle next to the filter sock, But it was just a tad too wide to fit. But oh well, shouldn't be a problem with the water level since I have the ATO in now. And its 100% out of sight, I have to look in the back of the tank to see it. Well see how it does.

IMG_2547.jpg

I attached the ATO line to the water heater, above the water in the back. Did that to prevent any back siphon chances even though its supposedly a one way flow valve on the pump. Better safe then sorry! fingerscrossed

IMG_2545.jpg

I can get some better pictures later, most of these were taken tonight. So it was dark and my light was in a dim out sequence so the color was odd. Its normally got a Blue Glow to it. All thats left is my wave maker and flipper glass cleaning magnet. (Cant wait to get that)

What do most of you use on the rimless glass tanks like this to keep it looking clean? I know i can't use glass cleaners or anything light that on this tank. But I want to keep the tank looking clean!

• Like 3
RIP Sebastian

Some goodies Arrived today! My dog thought they were for him, but quickly lost interest when he realized nothing had a squeaker in it for him to chew on.

IMG_2525.jpg

IMG_2528.jpg

Must say I'm Impressed with the light actually, Its super bright. Almost too bright. I'll have to play with the settings and get it fined tuned on a schedule before I add anything to to the tank. but ill leave as is for the cycle.

IMG_2542.jpg

IMG_2529.jpg

IMG_2530.jpg

IMG_2539.jpg

Seems to cover front to back no problem, but I did scoot it a tad farther forward on the tank as thats where most my coral will be.

IMG_2546.jpg

I set up the Tunze 9001 in the base of the sump system, that is where it happen to fit best although its not really where I wanted it. I was hoping it would fit in the second baffle next to the filter sock, But it was just a tad too wide to fit. But oh well, shouldn't be a problem with the water level since I have the ATO in now. And its 100% out of sight, I have to look in the back of the tank to see it. Well see how it does.

IMG_2547.jpg

I attached the ATO line to the water heater, above the water in the back. Did that to prevent any back siphon chances even though its supposedly a one way flow valve on the pump. Better safe then sorry! fingerscrossed

IMG_2545.jpg

I can get some better pictures later, most of these were taken tonight. So it was dark and my light was in a dim out sequence so the color was odd. Its normally got a Blue Glow to it. All thats left is my wave maker and flipper glass cleaning magnet. (Cant wait to get that)

What do most of you use on the rimless glass tanks like this to keep it looking clean? I know i can't use glass cleaners or anything light that on this tank. But I want to keep the tank looking clean!

I use a flipper, too. For the glass, I honestly rub of dribbles with my shirt or a paper towel. Vinegar is a good thing to use, though.

Nick

• Like 1
Michael_Price

I use a flipper, too. For the glass, I honestly rub of dribbles with my shirt or a paper towel. Vinegar is a good thing to use, though.

Nick

Good to know about the Vinegar! Just did my first 5 gallon water change today. Going to test the water tomorrow and see what my parameters are looking like. Hopefully I can get some stuff in the tank soon, right now its just an expensive rock display :lol:

IMG_2525.jpg

IMG_2528.jpg

IMG_2542.jpg

IMG_2529.jpg

IMG_2530.jpg

IMG_2539.jpg

IMG_2546.jpg

IMG_2547.jpg

IMG_2545.jpg

I purchased a pack of microfiber cloths from Homedepot, I believed it came with 8 cloths. I pass a wet piece of paper towel on my glass and use the microfiber cloth to dry it off, it works perfectly each time. Inside the tank I use the Tunze Nano Care Magnet and on the back black acrylic false wall, I use the ORIGINAL Mr Clean Magic Eraser.

• Like 1
Michael_Price

I got the last item from the FedEx guy today! :D The Power head I was waiting for finally arrived, way more settings then I need honesty. I just keep it on a constant speed for now. Maybe I'll play with the wave settings when I have some corals in the tank to sway back and forth. My waters tested well today! Im planning on getting a clown fish and a cheap $10 coral frag to test it out, but I'm going to wait a few more days to watch the temperature.

My AC Broke last night :angry: and I woke up to my place at 78 inside! (I didn't think to check the tank temp, I'm guessing 84+) The repair man fixed it while I was at work, I normally keep it at 74 during the day and 72 at night. And currently the house is at 72, and the tank is at 79. so I think I should be good now.

IMG_2551.jpg

IMG_2553.jpg

IMG_2552.jpg

IMG_2550.jpg

I like that its pretty hidden and tucked out of the way where I have it! I must say I'm impressed with this tank, and very glad I decided on the 30L. Everything is out of the way and hidden, a very sleek all in one tank! B)

Only thing I'm not sure of is the Filter socks, are they any good or should I change them out with media baskets?

I got the last item from the FedEx guy today! :D The Power head I was waiting for finally arrived, way more settings then I need honesty. I just keep it on a constant speed for now. Maybe I'll play with the wave settings when I have some corals in the tank to sway back and forth. My waters tested well today! Im planning on getting a clown fish and a cheap $10 coral frag to test it out, but I'm going to wait a few more days to watch the temperature.

My AC Broke last night :angry: and I woke up to my place at 78 inside! (I didn't think to check the tank temp, I'm guessing 84+) The repair man fixed it while I was at work, I normally keep it at 74 during the day and 72 at night. And currently the house is at 72, and the tank is at 79. so I think I should be good now.

IMG_2551.jpg

IMG_2553.jpg

IMG_2552.jpg

IMG_2550.jpg

I like that its pretty hidden and tucked out of the way where I have it! I must say I'm impressed with this tank, and very glad I decided on the 30L. Everything is out of the way and hidden, a very sleek all in one tank! B)

Only thing I'm not sure of is the Filter socks, are they any good or should I change them out with media baskets?

I recently got rid of my filter socks for the media baskets and like it. The reason for the switch is because the filter socks kept floating and it was not a tight fit in the sump compartment therefore the water was not properly filtered and finally its easier in regards to upkeep. Having the media basket makes maintenance so much easier, I fill the first compartment of the media basket with filter floss and every Wednesday & Sunday I replace it. Filter Floss is pretty cheap and last a long time, I got my filter floss from Amazon.com.

• Like 1

you can get filter floss at wallmart for 3.00 a bag.. it's just polyester fill for quilts... just make sure it's without the fire retardant.. it'll say so on the back...

the IM tank is a great tank

the 9001 is an excellent skimmer.. there is a MOD to move the magnet to the back side of the skimmer if you need to.. also, remove the stupid clamp they have on it and get a $1.00 needle valve on there to fine tune the air intake

I would also recommend http://www.a-neutronics.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=58 for a power strip if you need one..

there are cheaper ones.. but not worth it IMO

also, pull the stock pump and add 2 eheim adjustables.. as it is, you will have tons of flow, but not a lot being filtered comparatively.

also,, the scape you have looks frigging awesome! great start.. following

• Like 1
Michael_Price

you can get filter floss at wallmart for 3.00 a bag.. it's just polyester fill for quilts... just make sure it's without the fire retardant.. it'll say so on the back...

the IM tank is a great tank

the 9001 is an excellent skimmer.. there is a MOD to move the magnet to the back side of the skimmer if you need to.. also, remove the stupid clamp they have on it and get a $1.00 needle valve on there to fine tune the air intake

I would also recommend http://www.a-neutronics.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=58 for a power strip if you need one..

there are cheaper ones.. but not worth it IMO

also, pull the stock pump and add 2 eheim adjustables.. as it is, you will have tons of flow, but not a lot being filtered comparatively.

also,, the scape you have looks frigging awesome! great start.. following

Thanks! Its been a good start up, I started another thread a few days ago when i got my first pods. ( I thought something was wrong, like an infestation :lol: man I'm a noob) turn out that it was just a sign the tank was heading in the right direction! The needle valve for the tunze sounds great, your right about the clamp. And ill keep that in mind about the pumps for future upgrades! I certainly want a better power strip later like that to make water changes, but for now ill stick with unplugging whats needed but later on that will be a nice upgrade as well.

Michael_Price

Alright Update time! New critters and coral adds.

So I got my first set of pods in the tank, and by set, I mean a Lots of them. I guess thats a good thing from what people have been telling me! Got the water tested today, its perfect according to the store professionals at my local Reeftank store. Told them I just wanted to get a small cleaner crew to maintain my algae as I now have a few types growing that I don't want to get out of control. And some cheap Coral to test the lights and water before I go for the expensive corals.

So they advised 4 Hermits, a Blenny (Which I wanted, They are fun guys to add and they really keep it clean) and I got one Peppermint Shrimp just to add some color. (He was only $4 so I figured why not) And for coral they had a tank up front and were selling any two frags for $19 so I just picked two cool hardy ones. Heres how I'm looking now!

The pod colony now after the algae growth
10033086-8a0e-4cfd-89a0-158c64704290.jpg

IMG_2564.jpg
Did some rearranging on the tank. I have an idea of what corrals I'm after now, and keeping the rocks away from each other will be better for that. I plan to have some GSP on the center rock since it looks so nice swaying back and forth with the water. But of course I don't want it to take over my tank!

IMG_2561.jpg

IMG_2562.jpg

This is the only picture of the Shrimp as he has stayed in hiding after going in the tank. Comes out when I cut out the lights, but when I turn them on for a picture he bolts under the rocks! :furious:

IMG_2565.jpg
My algae growth.

IMG_2566.jpg

This looks purple, but when I turn my Blue LEDs down its a brownish red... So I'm pretty sure its Red Slime Algae. Im hoping the crabs take care of this!

IMG_2567.jpg

IMG_2568.jpg

His Favorite spot at the moment.

IMG_2578.jpg

IMG_2569.jpg
Anyone know what this coral is? I just grabbed it since it looked good in the store and was cheap. It was opened fully there and swayed back and forth, looks great open! Hopefully in a day or two it will be back to normal.

IMG_2570.jpg
Cant go wrong with a classic.

IMG_2576.jpg

Already hard at work :naughtydance:

Michael_Price

Great setup! Your scape looks great with those proportions. Gotta love the Jebaos! I look forward to seeing your tank mature. Great start!

Thanks! Still in constant debate on how to keep my scape ha ha. Excited to see my tank grow as well, Finally up and running! Time to decided on what two fish to get in addition to the blenny and what corals to add. I already know one fish will be a Clown Fish with an Anemone and Some GSP. Most likely I'll add those after a problem free two weeks just to be safe fingerscrossed Planning in the works.

• 3 weeks later...
Michael_Price

Updates! Im a little over a month in, my tank has cycled fully, and rather quickly I must say! My water is already testing almost perfect at my LFS location. I do one 5 Gal water change a week, so far no problems! And next to that, thanks to some great Facebook Groups in Houston that I joined for Reef Tanks, I have all the corals and Anemone below all for under $100!! The Nem was $40, the GSP was $10 and the Purple GSP was free. Got a clown and purple fire fish as well, and finally got some pictures of my Shrimp! He only comes out for feeding really, but he has started wondering out more lately now that he is used to the tank. Enjoy these shots I took today!

2686a64c-35dd-43f9-83ba-373283acfa45.jpg

IMG_2655.jpg

IMG_2657.jpg

IMG_2633.jpg

IMG_2663.jpg

IMG_2668.jpg

IMG_2671.jpg

IMG_2674.jpg

IMG_2673.jpg

IMG_2672.jpg

IMG_2675.jpg

IMG_2670.jpg

IMG_2690.jpg

IMG_2689.jpg

IMG_2686.jpg

Michael_Price

looking good!

Hey, I'm also in Houston, what facebook groups do you belong to?

Houston Reef Connection is the group I joined, its a good group with lots of activity.

• 1 month later...
Michael_Price

Sorry for the lack of updates, Work has been nuts! I am in sales, and being that the year is coming to an end, close out is crazy. Luckily I have this tank to keep me at ease after work :lol:

Updates! The tank is moving along Great! I wish i could have got some pictures today, but I didn't have time. Ill get some this weekend. my coral (Mainly the GSP) growth is Insane! I quickly moved it from the rocks a few days after I realized how rapidly it spreads.. I moved it to the back glass, and it is already growing onto the glass. Crazy.

Its been about 3 months now, so far no problems! I already have Coraline Growing on my live rock (Must be doing something right to see it this early) and my pod population is overwhelming. This fish and coral are happy, I picked up some Frogspawn and its already started sprouting new branches :o

I also got a Power Outlet with Individual Switched Plugs, certainly makes weekly water changes Much Easier! Ill be sure to get pictures of my whole setup soon.

Here are some pictures I took over the past few weeks, I'll get some better updated pictures soon :D

P.S. Highly Recommend the Orbit Marine Pro LED for these long small tanks. Its over kill honestly. I have the Blue lights at 100% for 8 hours, and the White Light at 28% for 8 hours. with a 30 min ramp up and down for sunrise/sunset. Any brighter and my tank grows algae like fire. The coral are all happy and growing, its a huge step up from the regular orbit marine led strip.

New Additions (over the past few weeks)
IMG_2739.jpg

My Anemone is already almost tripled in size... this is not even my most recent pic... Jesus!
IMG_2716.jpg

My other new Anemone (Also growing, about double in size now)
IMG_2756.jpg

My first Galaxy Frag that I got for the tank, its starting to branch out already as well!
IMG_2754.jpg

Galaxy Coral Colony (Got it for $40 on a Facebook group I came across, couldn't pass it up!)
IMG_2753.jpg

My new Happy Clam
IMG_2762.jpg

Wild Fire GSP
IMG_2740.jpg

This FrogSpawn Looks Awesome under Blue Lights (I'll get some pictures soon)
IMG_2746.jpg

IMG_2750.jpg

I got this guy, but he has not really opened up for me, he is doing better now that I turned the lights down. Too much light maybe?

IMG_2748.jpg

IMG_2747.jpg

IMG_2758.jpgIMG_2745.jpg

IMG_2712.jpg